FEVICOL as Vinyl Cleaner !!!!

I tried the Fevicol method on one of my LPs a few days ago. Was met with moderate success. Will post pics soon.

The only difference in my experiment was that I applied it directly on a dirty record without cleaning it first.

A related question - is it advisable to use a vacuum cleaner after wet-cleaning a record?

Clean the LP with mild soap & water followed by mixture of isopropyl alcohol & distilled water, air dry it for 30 mts and then apply FEVICOL. You have to follow the similar procedure after removing Fevicol from the LP.

This is the most effective way of removing gobs of dust caught in the grooves.

Regards,
Anil

I tried the Fevicol method on one of my LPs a few days ago. Was met with moderate success. Will post pics soon.

The only difference in my experiment was that I applied it directly on a dirty record without cleaning it first.

A related question - is it advisable to use a vacuum cleaner after wet-cleaning a record?

Clean the LP with mild soap & water followed by mixture of isopropyl alcohol & distilled water, air dry it for 30 mts and then apply FEVICOL. You have to follow the similar procedure after removing Fevicol from the LP.

This is the most effective way of removing gobs of dust caught in the grooves.
In my experiment what I found - Applying to less fevicol is useless. It should be at least 1mm thickness applied over record. You have to WAIT for fevicol to dry till no white patch is located. It takes at least 2 hrs at my environment. Then it is easy to remove complete layer in one go. I could recover my record with this method. I did not wash after removing fevicol. But thoroughly inspected record before placing stylus over it.

Hi omishra, check this thread at Audiokarma

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Regards,
Anil

DIY PAGE

In my experiment what I found - Applying to less fevicol is useless. It should be at least 1mm thickness applied over record. You have to WAIT for fevicol to dry till no white patch is located. It takes at least 2 hrs at my environment. Then it is easy to remove complete layer in one go. I could recover my record with this method. I did not wash after removing fevicol. But thoroughly inspected record before placing stylus over it.

how about using shaving cream and brush for vinyl cleaning. And may be shampoo also. Anybody try this yet. And whats the risk. Rgds

It gives a great result .
You can compare before and after effects by recording.
Lots ovfvedio is available on YouTube regarding this.
Try this and enjoy

Thanks to all for the comments.

Dear Asit, a friend of mine from US had said many audiophiles have tried yellow carpenters glue to eliminate surface noise with great success.

Incidentally, last year i used a badly scratched EP disc as ornamental fan behind the Ganesha idol during festival. I had pasted decorative papers on it with a coat of Fevicol. After some days fevicol started peeling. Upon close inspection i noticed the dried Fevicol had replicated the grooves of vinyl record with lot of dirt from EP, looked like a disc copy.:D

So this led me to experiment :)

Last Saturday i experimented with a EP coated with thick layer of Fevicol, left overnight. In fact I was worried a bit as i had no idea to remove the dried glue. It was just a trial & error method, but i started peeling from one end, took some time to remove the whole dried glue. I experimented again with my precious Dire Straits LP, coated only one side. this time, glue came off the disc without much problem. [ could be because of thick glue] After cleaning & air dried, i played the other side of the disc cleaned with soap and water, sounded miserable with lot of static noise, but the side treated with Fevicol is enjoyable to listen to with little pops & crackle :)

I do not know the answer to your third question, may be there are options.

I also noticed that leaving Fevicol too long become less pliable and more difficult to remove in one piece & i have no idea of using this technique on old 78 RPM shellac records.

Regards,
Anil

My experiment with Dire Straits Lp

052.jpg

053.jpg

051.jpg

054.jpg

MY DIY TOWERS

DIY Refractor Telescope

hi Anil Kumar sir you have very nice setup , if it's possible share your speaker details , # thank you

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back