Few questions regarding Television and 3D

Is your laptop non-Sony ? I think the PC must support DLNA for that. By PC, I mean the OS.

My laptop is HP and OS windows 7 home premium. Is it possible to install sony media player in case? Another query is is it possible to pair laptop with TV for youtube use. It seems youtube only allows mobiles and tablets with TV. I don't understand why a laptop can't do the job if much more technologically compromised devices like mobile and tablets can do the job.
Thanks.

I think I got you. If you've followed those steps correctly, you'll have option on VLC or KMPlayer for playing the media on your TV. Add the TV to your Homegroup and try to play from VLC or KMPlayer.

My laptop is HP and OS windows 7 home premium. Is it possible to install sony media player in case? Another query is is it possible to pair laptop with TV for youtube use. It seems youtube only allows mobiles and tablets with TV. I don't understand why a laptop can't do the job if much more technologically compromised devices like mobile and tablets can do the job.
Thanks.

I couldn't find any Sony TV media player for PC but they have that for Android and iOS :| I think there's this limitation as most formats supported on PC are not supported on TV as they might have limited codecs. Smartphones and Tablets on the other hand supports limited formats on their stock players. May be this has been done on purpose.

Also, most TVs are smartTV now. So companies might want to render their TV's smartness and don't want us to render our's :p You connect the ethernet or set up WiFi on your TV and you've everything you might possibly want, from TuneIn to YouTube.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any Sony TV media player for PC but they have that for Android and iOS :| I think there's this limitation as most formats supported on PC are not supported on TV as they might have limited codecs. Smartphones and Tablets on the other hand supports limited formats on their stock players. May be this has been done on purpose.

Also, most TVs are smartTV now. So companies might want to render their TV's smartness and don't want us to render our's :p You connect the ethernet or set up WiFi on your TV and you've everything you might possibly want, from TuneIn to YouTube.

Well I guess it is a cartel between several companies to sell those smart phones nearly at the price of a laptop. At the end of the day it is a phone not a laptop with very limited usability.:) I have already connected my tv to the wifi and it plays youtube flawlessly. But lets say I am watching something on BBC sports website in my Laptop.How can I stream that stuff to TV? will DLNA allow me to do that?
Thanks.

Hi guys,
any idea how to connect laptop to the W950 tv by wifi direct mode. I have enabled the wifi direct in my TV which makes TV behaves like a access point. Now my laptop can connect to that access point. So the connection has established but I am not too sure how to stream something from laptop to TV. E.g if I am watching something in vlc media player in laptop can I see it in TV via this wifi direct mode. Tvs are getting really complicated these days. :)

Thanks.

If you are using Win7 or 8, just connect the pc to the wifi direct access point. In your network (open computer and on left side bottom you should see 'Network'. the Sony TV will appear as a DLNA player. Right click this player and select install. Also in your network and sharing center ensure that media streaming is enabled. Now right click any media file > Play To > Sony DLNA device. Selected file types like mp3, wma, mp4 will only work.

You can also control your TV from PC using Sony Virtual Remote.

There are three types of 3D sources:
  • Frame Packed 3D: This is available in original 3D BDs only. Google the term and you will understand what it is. Suffice to say that when an original 3D BD is played (via a 3D BD player), the TV will switch to 3D mode automatically.
  • Side-by-Side (SBS) 3D: This is common with downloaded content. When played on a 3D TV, the TV does not switch to 3D mode automatically. The content is shown as two half frames side by side, exactly dividing the screen. Each half frame is 1920x540 pixels. By pressing the 3D button on the remote, the TV switches to 3D mode and the two frames are combined to give a 3D image/picture.
  • There is a 3rd less used/popular model of 3d which is top-bottom. It is much similar to SBS except that there are two half frames at top and bottom, exactly dividing the screen. Each half frame is 960x1080 pixels. You need to press the 3D button on the remote, the TV switches to 3D mode and the two frames are combined to give a 3D picture.

This is as far as 3D source and presentation is concerned. Note that original blu-ray discs (BDs) use frame packed method only which is true 3D.

There is no such thing as 3D meant for passive 3D. Absolute crap statement by the person who told you so. 3D is 3D. It is the TV and panel technology that displays 3D in active mode or passive mode.

To watch 3D, you need 3D glasses ... ummm, except for one Sharp model (or Toshiba model? forget which) that produces glassless 3D. But we will talk about active and passive 3D with glasses only.

In active 3D, the glasses have active shutter technology that rapidly open and close shutters for each eye rapidly thus showing different image to each eye. The glasses have an electronic circuit to do this that is operated by a battery (rechargeable or button cell). The glasses have an ON/OFF switch and glasses must be switched ON to enable 3D viewing.

In passive 3D, the TV produces polarized half image that is shown to each eye by means of polarized, battery less glasses. There is nothing to switch on - simply wear them and you will see 3D when TV displays the 3D content.

There is huge imformation on the net about 3D, active vs. passive, how active 3D is Full HD 3D while passive is half-HD 3D, etc. Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages and you can read about them.

I hope that this is sufficient information to start with. Shoot a specific question and FMs will be glad to answer.

Sir, thanks,

If you are using Win7 or 8, just connect the pc to the wifi direct access point. In your network (open computer and on left side bottom you should see 'Network'. the Sony TV will appear as a DLNA player. Right click this player and select install. Also in your network and sharing center ensure that media streaming is enabled. Now right click any media file > Play To > Sony DLNA device. Selected file types like mp3, wma, mp4 will only work.

You can also control your TV from PC using Sony Virtual Remote.

Hi Baiju,
thanks for your suggestion. I can play the videos from the TV by entering the shared folders of the laptop but it is not working other way around. So in a way I got what I wanted but it is not streaming in actual sense. Does this remote tv app has a virtual keyboard ? Basically I am looking for a keyboard option in my laptop which I can use for the browser in the TV.
Thanks.

The interface is similar to the physical remote control, but it has an option to send text which is useful for using the browser. Sony also has a remote keyboard for this purpose. I have not tested it though.

Remote Keyboard version 1.0.1.03020 : Download : Sony Asia Pacific

Hi Baiju,
thanks for those links. The virtual remote works flawlessly but I can't seem to input text in the search bar of the youtube. So the remote works fine but it offers nothing extra as compared to a physical remote. I didn't try the input text option for the browser. Are you sure it works ? Remote keyboard unfortunately doesn't work for my TV. One thing I found interesting there is DLNA app in my nokia N8 using that I can directly stream videos, photos and music from my phone to TV. I am yet to figure out how to properly use the browser. Although it looks quite lousy. I think my Xbox live browser is better than the Sony browser.
Thanks.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back