FH3 [ Frugal Horn 3 ]

I was thinking vehicle transport too: speakers need good transport! :lol: BTW... always happy to be that transport :)

It sounded good there in your setup. I felt like it is well opened and airy in your setup. It may be because of my setup. Hope I cleared you :).

Badri, they sound good in your setup! We are only thinking of ways which might make it sound better :cool:

I like mpw's idea. I guess you would have had the HT setup before getting the FHs. Try them as a replacement. Try it as 2.0. I guess you would always have the option of adding extra surround back in.

Can you make that rack into one piece? ie build upwards rather than out. That would give you much needed space for speaker placement.

they can certainly be loaded in my Golf, especially with the back seat down, and it is sooo easy for me to go almost anywhere via your place :). Unless it is South. Which it probably wouldn't be.

I am also eager to hear from you...When time permits please do an attempt to restore your lost data!
Sure Bijin. Will attempt it ASAP.
Capt... Loosing a post is a pain. I use Forefox, and one of my add-ins is called Text Cache: it would have saved your post for you!
Thanks for the info Thad. Will try to install that.
I think we should use a range of music when auditioning any hifi equipment. It should have all frequencies and a wide dynamic range.

Can it be loaded in my esteem?

they can certainly be loaded in my Golf, especially with the back seat down

IMO they are small enough to fit on the back seat resting on the sides, one over other with a thick towel in between.

Try them Srini; you will be pleasantly surprised.

IMO they are small enough to fit on the back seat resting on the sides, one over other with a thick towel in between.

I think so too, except the "legs" stick out sideways. On their backs would be best ...and the drivers have to be protected from any possible mishap. Something soft on the inside, something hard on the outside. I was thinking of a steel or aluminium plate. That's how we protect mridangam heads for flying!

They must have been packed well for transit from Kerala to Chennai.

Don't let us forget the meet! I wish Rajesh all the best, but I'm not a party person :( So I'll let the party people party without the party pooper! :lol:

Today I connected FH3 again with Myref C. And I played it in mono both left and right alternatively. I felt the sound from right is very thin and diminishing. So I opened the amp and got shocked. I fried something. Amp cabinet is completely closed and no gap to breath. I started measuring the values as suggested. Finally I diagonised and found Smoke came out from somewhere current setting resistor, LM317 regulator and transistors. Already it happened to me when I was building this amp. Right speaker wires touching the speaker cabinet and short circuited it. I manged to change those. And at the meantime to tame boominess I placed few carton boxes at the end of wall corners and in front of horn mouth. I connected the amp again and tried now speaker sings well and balanced. No noticeable boominess at more than moderate volume. Further I moved the speaker to hall which is little bigger than my room. Speaker sings beautifully. Soon I will try it with my Symasym TO3.

Thanks
Badri

Last edited:
After a 5 months struggle I finally fixed my Marantz CD 65 MK II which was not able to read cd.

Its a very sweet evening have been listening to continuous music for 2 hours. Mark Audio's driver and FH3 how sweetly gel together to produce a beautiful music. This speaker definitely need a little big room to breath.

In famous TDA1541A, musical if i dont think about sound and detail. This DAC has something special. This player simply beat my heavily modified Marantz CD67.

Well thought FH3 design able to produce enough Bass to fill the room at the same time able to deliver clean mid and sweet HF.

Thanks
Badri

At last got hold of my carpenter and got the polish done to match with the color of my furniture. They are pretty good and better than my Zaph speakers build both in performance and looks. The pictures below:

Attachments

• 20150221_191939.jpg
    20150221_191939.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 20150221_191954.jpg
    20150221_191954.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 20150221_191908.jpg
    20150221_191908.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 313
hello,

Could you please help me clarifying some doubts regarding build a frugal horn speakers?
I have brought 8*4 MDF sheet of 18 mm, and looking to follow the cutting plan C-2 given in the frugal horn plan pdf. I am thinking to get the power tools on rent and do the cutting and building, also its my first carpentry activity.

1. how to cut the edges of the front piece, which dont seems to be straight cuts as the front piece is slanted by some 5 degrees, and for it to properly fit with the bottom and top pieces, its top and bottom edges should be cut at same 5 degree angle also ?

2. will the box be fixed with screws or only with favicol? if screws then what type and size (length and thickness) do we need to use?

3. will the box be permanently closed one or will we be leaving one size fixed only with screws only so that it can be opened if needed.

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Hi,

I have doubt in the actual plan. In the cut plan no where mentioned what is the lower and upper dimensions of the side panel. So if I consider the top lenght is 185mm as per the graph layout show, how come then the top board measures 195 mm in cut plan.

Check attached pics. Anyone who did the build please clarify.

205f9mg.jpg

10fatro.jpg

Frugal plan1 Pictures, Frugal plan1 Images, Frugal plan1 Photos, Frugal plan1 Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Frugal plan2 Pictures, Frugal plan2 Images, Frugal plan2 Photos, Frugal plan2 Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

What is the distance of the driver from the top? I posted on Arunlouie's thread and he gave the answer but he is using some other driver of Mark Audio. Hence I'm having doubt.

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/60294-yet-another-frugal-horn-2.html#post668005

hello,

Could you please help me clarifying some doubts regarding build a frugal horn speakers?
I have brought 8*4 MDF sheet of 18 mm, and looking to follow the cutting plan C-2 given in the frugal horn plan pdf. I am thinking to get the power tools on rent and do the cutting and building, also its my first carpentry activity.

1. how to cut the edges of the front piece, which dont seems to be straight cuts as the front piece is slanted by some 5 degrees, and for it to properly fit with the bottom and top pieces, its top and bottom edges should be cut at same 5 degree angle also ?

2. will the box be fixed with screws or only with favicol? if screws then what type and size (length and thickness) do we need to use?

3. will the box be permanently closed one or will we be leaving one size fixed only with screws only so that it can be opened if needed.

thanks and regards
S Sarath

If you want you can try cnc cut. I think file readily available. Please pm Bipin. This will reduce lot of trouble.

In my build, the box is glue.

Thanks
Badri

hello,

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Angles on the front panel and top and bottom pieces can be made using a hand plane. 10 or 15mm extra length should be provided on the front panel while cutting, then only we will get the actual height after making the angle.

Gluing using Fevicol SH is enough, but requires F-Clamps. I used screws along with glue to keep all the panels in place and removed the screws after the glue dries.

The enclosure is permanently closed .

Hi,

I have doubt in the actual plan. In the cut plan no where mentioned what is the lower and upper dimensions of the side panel. So if I consider the top lenght is 185mm as per the graph layout show, how come then the top board measures 195 mm in cut plan.

Check attached pics. Anyone who did the build please clarify.

205f9mg.jpg

10fatro.jpg

Frugal plan1 Pictures, Frugal plan1 Images, Frugal plan1 Photos, Frugal plan1 Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Frugal plan2 Pictures, Frugal plan2 Images, Frugal plan2 Photos, Frugal plan2 Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Side panel you are referring is for 15mm thick material and top piece is of 18mm thick material. Side panel cut using 18mm is not shown in that plan.

What is the distance of the driver from the top? I posted on Arunlouie's thread and he gave the answer but he is using some other driver of Mark Audio. Hence I'm having doubt.

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/60294-yet-another-frugal-horn-2.html#post668005

As per the DXF shared by Dave it is 87.79mm, from top of front panel to center of driver cutout.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back