FH3 [ Frugal Horn 3 ]

Back to the Frugal Horns...

Capt Rajesh and I had the pleasure of visiting Badrisuper today.

First impression of the Frugal Horns is that I was surprised how small they are! When we look at photos we make up our own sense of scale, and it can be quite wrong. I regard my floor-standers (Castle Severn II) as small: the Frugal Horns are probably a similar height but even slimmer.

However, their shape, proportions and finish look even better than the photos. These are precision made, with individual love-and-care. If I were needing a pair of floorstanders, I would be very happy to have these in my room, and I would be delirious to be able to do so at the kind of price paid. Although I should not say this before I even come to their sound, the value for money is stupendous. Unbelievably frugal!

The first impression soundwise, was that the bass, from this pretty-but-tiny driver, was really amazing, but the higher notes were not so. Rajesh moved the speakers, just as I was realising that what I was hearing was overemphasised bass, due to room position, rather than lacking treble. Pulled out from the wall, they gave a much more balanced sound. Had there been room to give a clear couple of feet all around each box, I think that that could only have got even better. Small speakers, yes, but that does not mean that they don't need space.

I must let Capt Rajesh speak for himself, but for myself, I was, from rock through to classical, very happy with the sounds I was hearing.

I think I would be happier with a little more high mids. However, I believe that these speakers could give more of everything in a bigger space. I must also add the usual boring disclaimer that my HF hearing loss means that any of my reviews should be read as purely personal experience only.

Thanks again to Badri for the very enjoyable hospitality, and to his wife for the delicious lunch :)

I must let Capt Rajesh speak for himself

I was so impressed with these diminutive sized speakers that I wrote a long post explaining our experiences at Badri's place but alas I had a nasty surprise in store for me. After writing intermittently for about an hour or so, I finished my post and hit the 'Submit Reply' button but alas the page had apparently expired. I hit the back button but the page hanged and whatever I had written has gone down the proverbial drain.:mad:

Yes there was some boominess on account of the small sized room and lack of breathing space but we did attempt for a quick remedy with some success. The speakers shined in presenting wonderfully good sound with whatever we threw at them and how!!

I hope to make an attempt (again) to take some time off and write about these small wonders but to sum it up, I would say that they are truly 'hifi' speakers at a 'frugal' price.

I hope to make an attempt (again) to take some time off and write about these small wonders but to sum it up, I would say that they are truly 'hifi' speakers at a 'frugal' price.

I am also eager to hear from you...When time permits please do an attempt to restore your lost data!

Sorry, I didn't think of photos either. They would be a treat for the eye even with plain black drivers, but the warm gold colour of the Al [?] cones is a very nice visual feature. "DIY" is really a misnomer: this is pro standard work. I'd love to see a pair finished in polished veneer!

Capt... Loosing a post is a pain. I use Forefox, and one of my add-ins is called Text Cache: it would have saved your post for you!

Last edited:
Back to the Frugal Horns...

Thanks again to Badri for the very enjoyable hospitality, and to his wife for the delicious lunch :)

Thanks Thad, Capt. It was my pleasure having you over. I love to hear music from good setup. But what is Hifi or very good setup to listen to music that I learned from Capt and Thad yesterday or begin to learn. It was a very fine day personally for me. The tracks played by them I never heard before. But they try to squeeze most out of the speaker by playing different variety of tracks :). That is how we need to find how good a speaker is? yes. Lot to learn. My room is very small, speaker is roughly 3 or 4 feet away from listener. Build quality is fantastic. It looks very professional.

Capt. Soon I will have my modified CD67 and CD65 with which these speaker performed very well. The first thing i noticed is sweet mid bass particularly with CD65. I welcome you to have another listening session when you find your free time.

Thanks
Badri

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 120
Yes, I think we should use a range of music when auditioning any hifi equipment. It should have all frequencies and a wide dynamic range. Between us, we brought music that included cannon fire, and music that, even though performed by several hundred people, went so quiet that we had to turn off the fan to hear it at all. And to all that was, of course, added some good, solid rock :)

I'd like to hear your speakers playing the other way across the room, either below, or facing, the window. Even if the symmetry/balance may be imperfect, I think they might give fuller sound

badri,

if possible remove the other speakers around the stereo speakers.

It will be better - will reduce indirect reverberations.

Try it.

This will mean that your HT will be basically a 2.0 - it will be a worthwhile sacrifice if you really love music.

Space is at a premium and compromises are inevitable i know.

Since your room is smaller dimension - i dont think the HT will be missed much.

Just my suggestion.. maybe you may like the more cleaner look with the 2.0

but YMMV..

mpw

I have suggestion. If interested for serious listening session we can try it in one's place who is ready to organise for a listening session and transport. This will help many in many ways if they are looking for good and budget speakers. The kind of sound I heard from bijin's setup is not what I heard yesterday. It didn't sound well to that mark if I compare.

Thanks
Badri

Last edited:
I have suggestion. If interested for serious listening session we can try it in one's place who is ready to organise for a listening session and transport. This will help many in many ways if they are looking for good and budget speakers. The kind of sound I heard from bijin's setup is not what I heard yesterday. It didn't sound well.

Thanks
Badri
========================================

please clarify..

mpw

It sounded good there in your setup. I felt like it is well opened and airy in your setup. It may be because of my setup. Hope I cleared you :).

It sounded good there in your setup. I felt like it is well opened and airy in your setup. It may be because of my setup. Hope I cleared you :).

Here we have used 8W Class A AMP (Le Monstre), may be that caused the difference. I have tried F5, Apex etc but this one is my personal favorite DIY AMP till date. You too also easily felt that AMP's sonic character instantly right badri...

Here we have used 8W Class A AMP (Le Monstre), may be that caused the difference. I have tried F5, Apex etc but this one is my personal favorite DIY AMP till date. You too also easily felt that AMP's sonic character instantly right badri...

Yes Bijin. It is a very warm sounding amplifier.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back