FH3 [ Frugal Horn 3 ]

Sure but where is the 'Sutradhari' (Producer) We are just 'Patradharis' (Actors) I'm referring to badrisuper who has got these made.

You mean the box volume would remain the same? Would it not change too according to the TS Parameters of the driver?

There is very less to do with box volume concept here, its transmission line length which matters here mainly...

Last edited:
A noob question. Since the curved backside (no pun intended :D :lol: ) is not covered and the back wave would exit from the bottom side (can we call it terminus here) does it (the curves) have any functional value apart from adding to the WAF factor?

Last edited:
Guess its time to start a dedicated thread for Frugel Horn.

PS: And there goes my 100th post in long 5 years stay (not bad) :D

Last edited:
hello
great work bibin / bijin. Beautifully made, especially the speaker terminals.
Wish i could listen to them.

I'm back. Lot of things happened here.

regards
girish:)

hello
great work bibin / bijin. Beautifully made, especially the speaker terminals.
Wish i could listen to them.

I'm back. Lot of things happened here.

regards
girish:)

Thanks Girish,

BTW today our FM glen7x came to audition the FH Mk3. He may have something to tell...

B&B,

just saw this thread and the build.

I am truly impressed..

I hope to have a listen of these speakers someday and if you guys can do a fit and finish like this besides the all important criteria of sounding good.. then .. it wil be wonderful.

regards,
mpw
Mumbai

A noob question. Since the curved backside (no pun intended :D :lol: ) is not covered and the back wave would exit from the bottom side (can we call it terminus here) does it (the curves) have any functional value apart from adding to the WAF factor?

As far I recollect reading Dave and chris on DIyAudio, these are essential part of the design. Post #18

Earlier I got started with this design, but later opted for "Back-loaded horn+ Bass reflex Hybrid enclosure".

Last edited:
I have done with my build of the FH with MA CHR-70A drivers. The raw box is ready and the drivers are installed and I am currently listening to them with my Marantz amp to the voice of "Elton John". I must say these are just awesome :yahoo::clapping:.

More will come later tonight with my dedicated thread with the build pictures. First let me get exhausted listening to them with this little wonders that I have made completed this time by me with the just help of the carpenter to cut the panels.

Thanks

Attachments

• image_33.jpg
    image_33.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 148
I have done with my build of the FH with MA CHR-70A drivers. The raw box is ready and the drivers are installed and I am currently listening to them with my Marantz amp to the voice of "Elton John". I must say these are just awesome :yahoo::clapping:.

More will come later tonight with my dedicated thread with the build pictures. First let me get exhausted listening to them with this little wonders that I have made completed this time by me with the just help of the carpenter to cut the panels.

Thanks

Looking forward to.

And Unfortunately for me, A lot of my build snaps are "eternally" locked in this "Ransom Hardware(s)" ( one hard disk and another 32 GB sd card ).
could partially recover some , but will take some time to organize and share here - this includes GRR xls encore build,126En in optional recomended box, besides others.
Current WIP on GRR Sub-woofer.Once done , will post them all.
Happy listening.

Attachments

• IMG_23960.jpg
    IMG_23960.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 136
Looking forward to.

And Unfortunately for me, A lot of my build snaps are "eternally" locked in this "Ransom Hardware(s)" ( one hard disk and another 32 GB sd card ).
could partially recover some , but will take some time to organize and share here - this includes GRR xls encore build,126En in optional recomended box, besides others.
Current WIP on GRR Sub-woofer.Once done , will post them all.
Happy listening.

Here you go with my build pictures and please share your builds as well with the GR and the Fostex. You should have uploaded the pictures to the net as it can save from disasters to the HDD. I always keep a copy of my entire collection of photos on the net (albeit compressed pictures) but atleast the photos are there.

Bibin/Bijin,

You guys have moved ahead in leap and bonds.
These are just another benchmark that regular Professions may find very difficult to match.

Hope they reach Badri before I leave Chennai; then I can listen to them here itself. Guess what, on hunch I showed the pics to my wife; even she liked them. :lol:

Sure capt. I am planning it for Feb 3rd week to meet Bibin. I believe I will have it by March 1st week. In the mean time speaker is in burning process.

Thanks
Badri

Just saw this link today, great build quality and excellent pro like finish. Am sure will be sounding good too. Any listening impressions by FM? Eager to know more about the fostex.

Bibin very very nicely done ! You have taken due diligence in deciding on stuff,so congrats.

But if Am allowed to pitch in,here's my 2cents.

1.are you going to just paint the back & inside side panels ? (as outside the same is finished with veneers),The I suggest to wrap it with the same stuff used outside as it gives a true outstanding finish

2. Terminal is superbly done but for the screws used to secure the binding posts,Please use a CSK hexagon or allen head screw instead of the one used to take the standard up to the speeds of any international one's,ditto for the main plate itself.

3. Is the metal plate holding the binding posts necessary ?? can the binding posts not be directly to the glass or acrylic plate ??

Just trying to........................

@ SoundCraft,

I am really sorry, missed to answer this.

#1. It is really difficult the fix the mica laminate on the backside. I have used only Fevicol SH to glue the mica and we have to apply pressure and keep it overnight to stick well. Using Fevicol SR will make our life easy and the entire job can be done in a day and no need to apply pressure. But it wont last long. After couple of years the mica stats to come out.

#2. Good suggestion and will be considering this. I am also thinking about avoiding those screws.

#3.It is not metal place. 2mm black acrylic. The clear acrylic is 10mm thick and the shaft of binding post are not that long.

Thanks,
Bibin

I gave these a quick listen when I went to pick up my bookshelf speakers.
One word. Blown away!
Clear mids. The Bass was a surprise. Never thought the cute 4 inch drivers can produce so much bass.
Build quality - top class. It matches most reputed brands.

Exactly my thoughts on the sound quality, they are very good for the size and the bass is superb and clean. I am experiencing the same with my CHR-70 drivers as well. I think all the credit of this sound quality goes to the design of the cabinet :clapping:

All credits goes to the cabinet design. One more thing about the design, there is no need to do any sort of bracing. The internal partitions take care of that.

Thanks,
Bibin

... Never thought the cute 4 inch drivers can produce so much bass.

Hope this is not too much offtopic. We are always reminded that, due to laws of physics, the bass from small speakers is limited --- but isn't this usually to do with the size of the box, rather than the driver?

A quick answer from in-thread speaker experts will do me fine :). But the answer probably relates to these speakers anyway, so not so offtopic.

Hope this is not too much offtopic. We are always reminded that, due to laws of physics, the bass from small speakers is limited --- but isn't this usually to do with the size of the box, rather than the driver?

A quick answer from in-thread speaker experts will do me fine :). But the answer probably relates to these speakers anyway, so not so offtopic.
Not ALL small speakers! And yes, relatively speaking - bass is limited. And the size and design of the box has to do with physics too.

I gave these a quick listen when I went to pick up my bookshelf speakers.
One word. Blown away!
Clear mids. The Bass was a surprise. Never thought the cute 4 inch drivers can produce so much bass.
Build quality - top class. It matches most reputed brands.

Which amplifier was used?? just curious to know if match should be made in heaven.... :eek:hyeah:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back