Finally Disney-Hotstar and Eros Now rolls out 5.1 surround sound

My personal take is that folks at Hotstar were never bothered about the audio quality. They are more bothered about visual content. Missed a game? Missed a daily soap? Miased something on Star Network? Catch up during office commute. Or maybe or movie or two.
The targeted population use headphones in a crowded public transport and 5.1 or Atmos is never a priority for them. And as long as the vast majority of subscribers is happy, the folks at Hotstar will continue to have the luxury of ignoring the issue of audio quality. Honestly I don't see them changing much in the future. We can keep on discussing but only a few titles will be available in good sound quality in recent future.
Had an opportunity to have a technical discussion with one of higher up Engineering staff around six/seven months ago. Had asked him pointed questions about audio codecs and audio streams support on various platforms(TV / android and other apps) and content either pass through or decoding. Chap was very enthu on video front, not so much on audio. He kind of reflected similar opinion : Not a priority. "Too niche! Who has all this stuff"?
Didn't have membership then, don't have now. Not sure if this has changed (not enough to have just titles available only on couple of platforms).

NF and Amazon prime are not the only streaming players in India that offers surround sound. Finally Disney-Hotstar and Eros Now rolls out 5.1 surround sound on select tittles.

I checked it this on 'Star wars series of Disney-Hotstar of VIP membership. Can someone confirm about Eros Now?
IM NOT GETTING quality sound

Is anyone getting 5.1 on native LG OLED Hotstar app?
No 5.1 for OLED as well. Everytime i spoke to LG customer support they say they have passed the feedback nothing more. These jokers at technical team think giving Dolby vision for OLED itself is a huge favour to their customers and they feel everyone listens to audio over TV only and not HT. This is where android platform so much ahead,even a 20k android tv will give 5.1 over ARC

Disney Hotstar finally has DV on LG. But at least in my experience it doesn't match the quality of DV on Netflix and Apple TV+. Is it just me or the app? Case in point Mandalorian - the DV version sucks. It just looks like upscaled 4k at best.

Disney Hotstar finally has DV on LG. But at least in my experience it doesn't match the quality of DV on Netflix and Apple TV+. Is it just me or the app? Case in point Mandalorian - the DV version sucks. It just looks like upscaled 4k at best.
True, DV sucks In hotstar. Plus the quality of video in hotstar isn't that good, there too many screen and color scratch issue in many episodes of MANDO,

Mandalorian is wrong comparison. Boba fett looks good in DV on my LG. Newer shows they r improving.

I am getting DV on all the new star wars and marvel shows on my LG - i think the pic quality is good, particularly on new shows like Obi Wan, but the sound is still only 2 channel.

Might be the way hotstar compresses the file for DV
Different companies uses diff technique and as efficient(bandwidth) as possible and compromises a small amount on video quality which majority audience never notice but we do😁.
Dont know when they ll release Atmos :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a 75" MI TV, and am getting atmos in Netflix and Prime. I checked hotstar this weekend, and it seems it is not supporting 5.1 or atmos. Anyway I had ordered an apple TV 4k earlier, and expecting to get atmos once I have it in place.

I have a 75" MI TV, and am getting atmos in Netflix and Prime. I checked hotstar this weekend, and it seems it is not supporting 5.1 or atmos. Anyway I had ordered an apple TV 4k earlier, and expecting to get atmos once I have it in place.
Please update your experience after the installation of Apple TV 4K . Wanted to know if it is worth to get ATV

Please update your experience after the installation of Apple TV 4K . Wanted to know if it is worth to get ATV
Its been just 2 weeks since I installed ATV, so the feedback is from that limited experience.
Pros
- the interface is smooth and very easy to navigate
- remote with the touchpad is cool
- video and audio quality , especially from apple's own collection is great
- apple music - quality is good, especially those songs which comes in atmos
- Apple TV+ is a treat to watch in 4k
- ATV integrates everything together very easily, now with a single switch I can turn on and off entire ecosystem
- S/w experience is seamless
Cons
- Getting atmos is a challenge. Initially I was not getting it even in netflix, but it got resolved somehow. Unable to get it in prime or any other app except apple TV+. My TV streams Atmos from netflix and prime without any issue. I didnt expect this hiccup from apple
- At times denon recognize ATV as media player and automatically swicthes to airplay mode which do not transmit video. I manually has to switch it back to the right input when this happens. (Not an issue with ATV though)
Summary
If you have a HT, but dont have a smart TV which supports dolby/atmos via HDMI ARC, this is an apt choice. For me, with present atmos issues, this does not seem to be worth the 17k I have invested. Maybe, they will fix it when next s/w update comes, till then this will be my verdict.

I am getting DV on all the new star wars and marvel shows on my LG - i think the pic quality is good, particularly on new shows like Obi Wan, but the sound is still only 2 channel.
I too don't see the Dolby 5.1 logo on Disney hotstar app alone.on contacting hotstar they informed that my Hisense tv is not supported by hotstar for Dolby 5.1 though I can see the Dolby vision logo.I have talked to Hisense India too .Said it was problem only for my Hisense tv model and they will try to resolve it in a week.i think Hotstar has a problem with LG webos and may have disabled the sound feature

I used a FireTV 4k and wasn't getting Atmos other than Prime. So switched to AppleTV4k about a month ago. ATV supports Atmos on Prime and Netflix apart from Apple TV itself. We can also rent movies from AppleTV and those play in 4K with Atmos where the content supports it.

The other benefit is, Apple Music is also available as an app which was not the case with FireTV.

I have hitherto not seen Atmos content on Hotstar. Only showing 5.1.

Yamaha AVR shows content coming in PCM/Atmos when the content supports Atmos when playing from ATV. Other times it shows as DD+ (when playing Airtel xtreme DTH). During IPL, it was showing DD+/Atmos on live broadcast on DTH.

I too don't see the Dolby 5.1 logo on Disney hotstar app alone.on contacting hotstar they informed that my Hisense tv is not supported by hotstar for Dolby 5.1 though I can see the Dolby vision logo.I have talked to Hisense India too .Said it was problem only for my Hisense tv model and they will try to resolve it in a week.i think Hotstar has a problem with LG webos and may have disabled the sound feature

6 months have passed but Hotstar still doesn't support 5.1 audio on my LG TV. Rather poor show as Prime and Netflix don't have any such issues.

Two days back watched rented movie Drusham-2 Hindi on Prime. Beautiful loud and very clear back surround sound.

I'm also waiting for the same... LG sucks!
Just a suggestion, why not to add fire stick? I have been using it for three years and super happy. My Tv is not smart so I don't know how smart TV compare with fire stick?

I have connected fire stick to one of the input port of AVR.

Just a suggestion, why not to add fire stick? I have been using it for three years and super happy. My Tv is not smart so I don't know how smart TV compare with fire stick?

I have connected fire stick to one of the input port of AVR.
Yes bro definitely I would look into that.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back