Fixed Frame Screen Query

Buddy,

its a normal pull down screen...

not a fixed frame screen...

Mridul, I am interested in this. However, I have heard that all screens develop "waves" (and even creases) over a period of time due to uneven tension. Is this something that can be expected in Da-lite Model C (with CSR) too?

why do u want to buy a screen if u r going in for a fixed frame, which obviously indicates that it will be a permanent fixture.

I see that u r thinking of getting the panny. That is one hell of a bright projector and if u r going for only a 72" screen, I think IMHO u r better off with a DIY screen.

Please look at my theater setup in this forum.

I have been using the panny for past 3 months, put in more than 300 hrs. on the bulb. My screen is a 4 x 8 (100" screen) laminate painted with asian paints satin enamel.
It performs very well. Basically, u dont want any gain from the screen with this projector, so a DIY screen is good enough.

giddavr

Hi Giddavr,

I saw your AV setup thread, very nice!!

Please tell in detail, how you made the screen. My main concern is that laminate surfaces are very shiny. Are you not seeing projector reflection on screen while watching movies?

Hi Giddavr,

I saw your AV setup thread, very nice!!

Please tell in detail, how you made the screen. My main concern is that laminate surfaces are very shiny. Are you not seeing projector reflection on screen while watching movies?

sorry for not replying earlier. was out of country and without net access.

the laminate screen is a very good screen which will remain flat without any wave problem. NO HOTSPOTS EVER. The best way of making it would be to get a half inch or 3/4 inch
laminated particle board, finish the edges with wood strips. u then paint the laminated surface with a matt finish acrylc emulsion of a Good company in OFF WHITE shade. Use the regular wall emulsion. The quality of ur screen will depend on the evenness of the coat of emulsion. 3 coats will get u the best surface. Spray painting is best, but quality application with a brush or roller will also work. U end up with a TOP QUALITY NO GAIN SCREEN (GAIN=1)at a fraction of a cost of the commerciallly avaialable cloth screens. Performance wise it will be equal to any commercial screen, Dont believe otherwise.

Mine was done with a plywood sheet on which a laminate was fixed with adhesive, because I couldn't get at a laminated particle board.

It is only when u need a screen with more gain that u have to go in for something else. If u r looking for something to show off dont bother with DIY.

I think more gain is less viewing pleasure. Low gain screens produce colors better. But if you need too much brightness, you may go for high gain glass beaded etc.

Query regarding Screen Paint

Hi,
After seeing Giddavr post on a dedicated Wall Screen Paint setup for a projector I have decided to implement the same..
I would require some inputs from you guys before I finalize this:
After checking with the a few painters and dealers I was suggested to go for a DUCO paint and base to give the maximum results.. as it is a spray paint.
I was initially going with the Birla (Putty) base..(that what its known to layman here) + Acrylic Wall Emulsion, but someone told me that with using rollers there may be a chance to getting a slightly grainy finish.

Please suggest on the following:
1) Should I go ahead with DUCO, if yes which brand and which paint quality would be best.
2) Should it be a matte finish or glossy?
3) Should it be pure white, off white, or light gray?
4) Is there any other option of spray paint other than DUCO, which I can apply here?
5) Applying special paints such as MRF/SCREEN GOO is worth the money?
6) Would adding a black border, improve the effect as suggested by projector central?

Please consider the following factors:
1) I have a dedicated HT setup in my basement, no ambient light.
2) Screen = 128" diagnol
3) Projector(yet to purchase) = HD20
4) Paint base is Gypsum board(India Gypsum - basic board)

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Well no replies..
Thats bad..
Seems I will have to go with the Off-White Matt in Duco, although I would be searching for the Rich Off White such as "Dulux Light & Space Absolute White Rich Matt with Lumitec technology" suggested in avsforums,which would give a better reflective factor as the regular white..

Well no replies..
Thats bad..
Seems I will have to go with the Off-White Matt in Duco, although I would be searching for the Rich Off White such as "Dulux Light & Space Absolute White Rich Matt with Lumitec technology" suggested in avsforums,which would give a better reflective factor as the regular white..

Jayad08,

Please keep us updated as you start the DIY screen. Is paints mentioned in AVSforums ever even available in India?

I have read on this Forum that there is a paint made by MRF specifically for this purpose. Contact your local MRF office for more details. Do share any info that you may find on this.

well.. i missed out these posts, just saw them now..
well guys my wall painting did not work out the way i planned..
I had the board duco painted with sprayer..
but the thing with paints is.. u need to get the color and coat absolute spot on.. in my case the painter i hired, mixed fastener in the last coat, which he said would get some reflective properties (similar to gain), but all it did was to create a hotspot in the center.
Also the board that was used as the base was not actually wood, it was gypsum, due to which the board when painted, was not entirely smooth in each portion.
With Paints, I would say you experiment only if you yourself are an expert, or know a guy who has an experience in painting screen surfaces..
After investing close to 8k on wall paints, now i have started the hunt for fixed frame screen..

Dalite, galalite, Zoher come to mind..
other options include screen assembly with wooden frame and screen material purchased from branded companies such as da-lite, but cannot find any guys who get this sort of a job done, dont want to take a DIY route this time :)
I wd stick to Matt White 1.0 gain this time.. dont want a hotspot again in my picture.
My budget for 120" wd be max 30k
If experts feel that performance of a 1.0 matt white is not different in branded screens then i may go with a zoher 120" which is around 15k,or something even less if available
Suggestions welcome on this or any other options in screens (such as gain factor or screen color shades)
I have a dedicated setup with no ambient light

u can get a very good sceen for less than 5K.
I used a white laminate sheet fixed to a sheet of plywood painted with asian paints emulsion paint.

look at http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/1397-my-dedicated-new-home-theater.html

gvr

Welcome back Dr...after a long time / Infact when i read your DIY activities and happy that with very less cost, you could have your setup, that also in remote location and your activites were challenged against prevailing hi cost acoustic materials / stands/screens..

Hope we should be active like this in your age.:)

Welcome back Dr...after a long time / Infact when i read your DIY activities and happy that with very less cost, you could have your setup, that also in remote location and your activites were challenged against prevailing hi cost acoustic materials / stands/screens..

Hope we should be active like this in your age.:)

srini sir.. what do u recommend?
I was the link of elite screens in the 2.35 thread.. how much are they priced for - the ezFrame 16:9 ones..
also what about quality..

Are u sure, you want to stick to fixed frame / If so 30K is higher budget provided if you are going for the imported ones like Dalite/ Elite which will fall in the nearest range.

I dont think there is no sense of going behind that brand screens except specialized needs such as 2:35:1 with some curved structure where the angle and size matter.

If you want 120" can go for Panoview around 15K - Manual one which PJ holders here prefer / If you want to go for motorized look out for some imported model it will cost near to that 30K.

Do not spend 30K for fixed screen. Please note that i have watched movies for the 4 years in my painted wall with DIY made wooden structure and i could get the required projection which the prevailing screens could give. I spent only 5K.( But i do paint the wall once in 6 months). Now that only i have switched to motorized screen with mattwhite / glass bead could not find much improvement in mattwhite- could see a difference in glassbead screen mixed with grey composition.

Regards

Regards

If you want 120" can go for Panoview around 15K - Manual one which PJ holders here prefer / If you want to go for motorized look out for some imported model it will cost near to that 30K.

I have been on a hunt for a manual pull down screen for months now and had narrowed it down to Panoview 120" but unfortunately it is not in stock anywhere and the have not got a definitive answer as to when they will be in stock again.

Called up Dalite, Elite folks and minm price they quoted for 120" manual was around 35K :(. The other option is Grandview but again the person does not have a 16:9 format in stock and expected delivery is sometime after 3-4 weeks.
The only option left is Zoher and I have not seen any of our forum members or people I know use it, so not sure how it performs. The price of Zoher screens are pretty good,
-M

Can you post in forum the number of dalite/elite contact here in forum, it will be useful for all..

Thanks

Are u sure, you want to stick to fixed frame / If so 30K is higher budget provided if you are going for the imported ones like Dalite/ Elite which will fall in the nearest range.

I dont think there is no sense of going behind that brand screens except specialized needs such as 2:35:1 with some curved structure where the angle and size matter.

Do not spend 30K for fixed screen. Please note that i have watched movies for the 4 years in my painted wall with DIY made wooden structure and i could get the required projection which the prevailing screens could give. I spent only 5K.( But i do paint the wall once in 6 months). Now that only i have switched to motorized screen with mattwhite / glass bead could not find much improvement in mattwhite- could see a difference in glassbead screen mixed with grey composition.

Regards

Regards

my need for going with fixed frame is due to 2 reasons..
1) The base behind the screen is gypsum, which is setup by tightening screws on the frames (aluminum i suppose).. i don't want to hang something as heavy as 20kg on a frame which is balanced on that..
2) I don't plan to move the screen anywhere, so what is the need for pull down anyways. I understand that fix frames are expensive, but i am ready to spend some extra bucks on that..

I was also thinking of getting a sort of cover for the fix frame screen which can be opened/closed or removed easily.. any thoughts on that?
Dont want curtains as they would use up screen space on the sides..

what differences did u see in grey mix glass bead?

u can get a very good sceen for less than 5K.
I used a white laminate sheet fixed to a sheet of plywood painted with asian paints emulsion paint.

look at http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/1397-my-dedicated-new-home-theater.html

gvr

Hi GVR,

In your original thread, you have mentioned it as "Asian Paints Satin Enamel in "Pure Ivory" shade". So, can you please let me know if it is emulsion or Satin Enamel? Also, do you remember the shade number?

I'm opting for a wall painted screen, similar to yours (not the laminate option, though)..

Thanks in advance!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back