Flat belts for cassette decks

kuruvilajacob

I have recently been collecting a lot of tapes and decks . When I give these decks for service, the service guys refuse to touch them saying that belts are not available. Is there any place I can get belts of assorted sizes ?

Sir,
Amazon.in has good selection. I bought some for fixing a two-in-one. You can check for sizes in the pack.
Hope this helps....

Fm Selvin tipped me off about turntableneedles.com

I ended up buying my Nakamichi replacement belts from them. They are of very good quality and very accurate cutting and dimensions. The quality of rubber is excellent. Also tried out a few turntable belts for friends, again extremely good quality. Slightly expensive when compared to those locally available in India but the quality is far far superior. Shipping for belts is free and they arrive quite fast.

Yes. The belts from them are good quality. I replaced the belt in my DR-10 about 5 years back. The belt is perfect and neither expanded nor hardened till date. The speed of my deck is still perfect with 3kHz test tape. The cost of the belt for my deck was about Rs. 500. But it is worth for the money if compare multiple Service cost with local belts.

Yes. The belts from them are good quality. I replaced the belt in my DR-10 about 5 years back. The belt is perfect and neither expanded nor hardened till date. The speed of my deck is still perfect with 3kHz test tape. The cost of the belt for my deck was about Rs. 500. But it is worth for the money if compare multiple Service cost with local belts.
Hi, Selvin
I am searching belts for my Philips fc931 cassette deck. It has flat belts. Needle. com does not have belts for this deck but they have for fc 731. Another seller I have found on ebay i.e webparts. com. They sell directly also. Price is Rs. 1100+ for two. If I purchase from them, how the custom issues will be solved? Do you have any idea?

Regards

I had imported belts upon Selvin's suggestion long back & he fixed them for me.(Thanks Selvin, again, gratitude!)

Well, there won't be any issues with the customs. The belts would be sent in a small envelope & would seem just like a letter. I have imported from Thakker & Turntableneedles too & were seamless experiences.

Just confirm with the seller if tracking info is provided if not insist to be sent as tracked. That would be really helpful else there are chances of it going unnoticed & vanish too.( My untracked CDs ordered from Discogs last year haven't arrived yet!!)

turntableneedles.com send belts in a normal postal envelope and hence do not charge for shipping (for belts only). Also there is not customs fee payable. The belts are expensive but they are of the highest quality. Worth the investment in my opinion.

I too am planning to order a few from turntableneedles.com. Also check Marrs Communication. They have original factory belts and offer their own which are considered to be of very high quality.

I don't have contact number the shop "Sankeshwara Electronic, Shop No 8/11, Wallers Road, Mount Road, Chennai, they have 2 shops brothers other shop selling belt kit multiple size for CD and tape deck price less than 100rs year ago. Other shop Padam Electronic also you can find belts.

I too am planning to order a few from turntableneedles.com. Also check Marrs Communication. They have original factory belts and offer their own which are considered to be of very high quality.
Marrs has been getting some bad reviews recently. (Close repeat of the ed saunders episode - owner gets old/retired and sells/transitions to someone else who is clueless) check recent reviews.

I don't have contact number the shop "Sankeshwara Electronic, Shop No 8/11, Wallers Road, Mount Road, Chennai, they have 2 shops brothers other shop selling belt kit multiple size for CD and tape deck price less than 100rs year ago. Other shop Padam Electronic also you can find belts.
Any idea on such shops in Hyderabad?

If you deck is valuable and you want a very high quality replacement, then go to www.turntableneedles.com

I always purchase deck and turntable belts from them, bit pricey but the quality is as good as the original. Speed accuracy is also great, and the investment is worth it, especially if you have a high end deck or a nakamichi deck.

I have purchased belts from the local markets too, for budget repairs on the mass market type decks. They tend to have the following problems:

1) rubber is sometimes a little too thick and they tend to harden over period of time (much faster than high quality rubber belts)
2) they tend to perish faster, especially if used in humid climates, cracks form and they just end up breaking
3) when they start perishing, the rubber residue or deposits that are hard to clean (and leave stains) especially if they dry up and harden on the flywheel
4) after some use, they stretch marginally causing pitch issues

price wise, turntableneedles.com is expensive and they are apparently charging shipping as well due to the pandemic situation (shipping costs have gone up). Picking up a belt from your friendly neighborhood electronics spares show would cost you 20 bucks max :)

If you deck is valuable and you want a very high quality replacement, then go to www.turntableneedles.com

I always purchase deck and turntable belts from them, bit pricey but the quality is as good as the original. Speed accuracy is also great, and the investment is worth it, especially if you have a high end deck or a nakamichi deck.

I have purchased belts from the local markets too, for budget repairs on the mass market type decks. They tend to have the following problems:

1) rubber is sometimes a little too thick and they tend to harden over period of time (much faster than high quality rubber belts)
2) they tend to perish faster, especially if used in humid climates, cracks form and they just end up breaking
3) when they start perishing, the rubber residue or deposits that are hard to clean (and leave stains) especially if they dry up and harden on the flywheel
4) after some use, they stretch marginally causing pitch issues

price wise, turntableneedles.com is expensive and they are apparently charging shipping as well due to the pandemic situation (shipping costs have gone up). Picking up a belt from your friendly neighborhood electronics spares show would cost you 20 bucks max :)
Me too was in need of capstan belt for my nak cd1. Have just ordered from turntableneedles.com. They have not charged any postage.

just to add, if using turntableneedles.com, even if you have the original belt as a sample for measuring the size, don't forget to check out their recommendations on how to accurately determine the correct belt size.

Presently I possess many belts purchased locally years back. I have always used those. They are all good to date, and performing good as well. however, the squere belts are of 1mm thickness. Recently I ordered 0.7mm squere belts and 3mm flat belt packs from Aliexpress. These are yet to reach in my hand. Let me check how they perform.

These China Aliexpress belts are also available at Amazon India. It is also an option for purchasing

Recently, I have ordered flat belt kit for my Philips cassette deck from webspareparts, Portugal. These are specific belts for the model I have. Belts have already been shipped through Laposte with tracking no. Is any of the fm has any experience of purchasing from "web-spareparts"? I am also eager to know how the item will reach me.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back