Floorstanders - Dali Zensor 5 vs 7 : Audition & Queries

As long as there's nothing on the sides, since they're front ported not too fussy about space on the back

:eek: What a pity the z5 does not behave that way.

Sound from a speaker does not radiate only in the forward direction from the openings in the dabba are. It is in all directions (and ofc is frequency dependent, if intererested you could look up an animated graph I had posted a (sourced from the 'net, not mine) how sound radiates, (if not rear ported can be slammed against the back wall has also been discussed on hfv before)

You shove your {speaker} against the back wall it will reinforce bass.

If your room is without correction/ treatment, chances are that you have problems in that department.

So not a good idea, in general. And not only for the Z7, or the Dali or something. One can of course place them in any position or orientation, depends on the goal.

ciao
gr

As long as there's nothing on the sides, since they're front ported not too fussy about space on the back

:eek: What a pity the z5 does not behave that way.

Sound from a speaker does not radiate only in the forward direction from the openings in the dabba are. It is in all directions (and ofc is frequency dependent, if intererested you could look up an animated graph I had posted a (sourced from the 'net, not mine) how sound radiates, (if notrear ported can be slammed against the back wall has also been discussed on hfv before)

You shove your {speaker} against the back wall it will reinforce bass.

If your room is without correction/ treatment, chances are that you have problems in that department.

So not a good idea, in general. And not only for the Z7, or the Dali or something. One can of course place them in any position or orientation, depends on the goal.

WRT another post on room areas, this one from sidvee is very interesting http://www.hifivision.com/diy/61250-effects-speaker-placement-room-treatment-4.html#post680136

ciao
gr

Very interesting, very curious to know the reasoning to arrive at that number. Would you please explain.

Also "shine better" relative to ???

thanks
gr

If the space is much smaller, then the extra power would be overwhelming to your ears. Again that has been my experience.

Tannoy V4 series are very exciting and great speakers for the money but it's was until it was priced Rs 42k now with it costing close to Rs 60k dosnt appeal anymore but the Indian market hardly has any "worth it" flrs at Rs 40-60k price bracket to be honest. Since we are exploring the Dali so much here I would like put in my inputs too. Dali Zensor 5 , to me , were speakers that shouldn't cross the Rs 30k mark at any cost. Listening to Rolling Stones or Steely Dan was always like the Drummer was missing or faint in the whole scheme of things! Or the bassist had has his amplification lowered! Zensor 7 were better but not worth Rs 75k at all. This is clearly my opinion and sound is subjective.The Dali's are good if a sub is applied and hence to me they are really not stereo speakers. I always had problem with Dalis cabinets ,they add color.

I would say take a look at the Mission MX5 , QAccoustic 3050/2050 , Polk RtiA7 ( midrange is an issue though) . I'm against the idea of a sub in a stereo set up too. Look at Cabasse too , the Antigua bookshelf at or below Rs 40K is very very good.

Last edited:
Replaced my pioneer FS with Dali sensor 7 yesterday. Vokal will arrive over weekend. I am not going for surrounds - z1 as of now as I am planning to use my existing Polk 110 as surrounds.

Quick query - how many of you placed those rubber or spikes supplied to the bottom? Adding rubber alone will make any difference?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Am using the rubber alone ,it was quite good.the spikes was not yet tried (I don't want to damage my floor (of course by using a coin it can be prevented as mentioned in the manual)and kids factor made me not using them yet)

If the space is much smaller, then the extra power would be overwhelming to your ears. Again that has been my experience.

I'm sorry but I cannot understand this, so please forgive me.

How/why is the z7 endowed with "extra power" over the z5?

Would be very grateful if you could kindly explain.

BTW in a small space without treatment/ correction sadly bass will sound overpowering and boomy, the physics of the thing, not opinion.

ciao
gr

Another small query - the label at the back of the speakers says "R". what does this denote? Is this Right/Left ? Mine has 'R' in both

Yup, Dali marks speakers R/L based on placement, if you've got both R's, speak to the dealer and get one of them replaced

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Replaced my pioneer FS with Dali sensor 7 yesterday. Vokal will arrive over weekend. I am not going for surrounds - z1 as of now as I am planning to use my existing Polk 110 as surrounds.

Quick query - how many of you placed those rubber or spikes supplied to the bottom? Adding rubber alone will make any difference?

Congratulations. How would you compare the Pioneer with the Z7? Are you using a Sub too?

MaSh

Great, as long as it happens without a fuss.... Who's the dealer from whom you purchased? What was the deal/price you got it for?

Htstore, Bangalore. He is authorized dealer. I messaged him and he accepted to replace soon. Came around 60k

The Zensor 7 seems to be absolutely symmetrical. I don't quite get why it would need "R" & "L" marked speakers?
Thanks

That I'm also not sure. My earlier speakers don't have that mark on them. However the existing users confirming that they have R/l marked on their back. So it is advisable to have that way.

Check the Dali website, they have a brief mention about this. I too am not really sure about the exact reason why, I'm no expert though. Htstore is a good chap, have had pleasant experience with him in the past, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them replaced.

Murlidher --> After reading your R/L queries yesterday - I also checked my Dali Zensor 7 at night. Confirming that i have an individual marks for Left (marked as L) and Right (marked as R) in my Z7

I did that too on my Z1's. Yes, they have R/L markings. Fortunately they were in the right positions. :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back