Floorstanders - Dali Zensor 5 vs 7 : Audition & Queries

In Dali either it is Zensor 7 or 5 or 3 or 1 ,it comes with L & R mentioning . It is always better to follow the manufacturer recommendations and place the speaker in their respective positions. Also the manual clearly mention the speakers are designed to meet our wide dispersion principle, so they should NOT be angled towards the listening position.

Thanks all. As i speak, one of the speaker is getting replaced and finally 'L' reached home to match its 'R' ;)
Vokal out of stock, will have to wait till 10th next month to get gelled with the family!

So z7 owners, what is the crossover audyssey suggested for your fronts and what you finally ended up using?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Nice pics and enjoy :) !
I am also enroute to shortlisting and finalizing a new setup. Would be first time for me from Bose to such kind of hifi setup. As of now Tannoy v4i + as500 shortlisted.

V4i sounds great the Denon PMA720AE. Just have an audition.

In Dali either it is Zensor 7 or 5 or 3 or 1 ,it comes with L & R mentioning . It is always better to follow the manufacturer recommendations and place the speaker in their respective positions. Also the manual clearly mention the speakers are designed to meet our wide dispersion principle, so they should NOT be angled towards the listening position.

I assure you it does not work best, that way in my arrangement. YMMV and all the usual disclaimers.

IAC nothing will blow up or maim you if you experiment with a little toe in, it is also painless, easy and inexpensive. Remember also that every room and its interaction with your speaker is unique. I'd suggest figuring out what works best for you, in your room.

I can also assure you that putting speaker (Dali z5) marked L on the R side of the room does nothing bad, I've tried out, by ear and with measurements. AFAIK it is just a sticker. I've been wrong before, so I have an open mind on this.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
I assure you it does not work best, that way in my arrangement. YMMV and all the usual disclaimers.

IAC nothing will blow up or maim you if you experiment with a little toe in, it is also painless, easy and inexpensive. Remember also that every room and its interaction with your speaker is unique. I'd suggest figuring out what works best for you, in your room.

I can also assure you that putting speaker (Dali z5) marked L on the R side of the room does nothing bad, I've tried out, by ear and with measurements. AFAIK it is just a sticker. I've been wrong before, so I have an open mind on this.

ciao
gr

May be ,but I 've not yet tried out .Just followed the manual.
But one of our FM Mr.Muralidhar have got both R-R speaker which may be not good. While buying a product with your hard earned money ,why to get an mismatch product.

Yes, the seller mentioned that it is just makings and both are same, though agreed to replace immediately noticing it.

Also forgot to mention I have also written to Dali on this, no reply as yet :)

May be ,but I 've not yet tried out .Just followed the manual.

What/ why do you have a problem with re: my observation ?

I could try and explain better if you explain the challenge

BTW It is highly likely that you will be able to set up your rig much better. Almost certain I'd say, if you have not carefully thought out/ experimented postioning and/or treatment/ correction. From what you write, it appears you have not.

gr

Last edited:
I got response from Dali as below for my query on the speakers label:

Thank you for your mail.

All DALI speakers are manufactured in pairs, and each pair have the same serial number. To distinguish the to speakers in a pair they are given the letters L & R after the serial number. The two speakers in a pair are 100% identical. There are no left or right speakers in a DALI speaker set. What you have is two speakers with different serial numbers, but they will work perfectly together and you can use them as a stereo pair with no problem at all.

I hope this helps you, and best of luck you new ZENSOR 7 speakers.

Best regards

Lars F. Jrgensen
Product Manage
r

Last edited:
OK one query:

While I will be using Z7 and vokal at front stage, wondering if Z1 for its ability will be under utilized if its kept as surrounds alone. Instead - I am planning to use my polk TSX110 for surrounds and Z1 will then be connected to Lepai for TV & stereo sound set up.

Let me know if this approach is correct in terms of sound stage.

Thanks. I'm aware. I just wanted opinion on the exchange of z1 to TV and stereo and Polk as surround to other Dali family.

What/ why do you have a problem with re: my observation ?

I could try and explain better if you explain the challenge

BTW It is highly likely that you will be able to set up your rig much better. Almost certain I'd say, if you have not carefully thought out/ experimented postioning and/or treatment/ correction. From what you write, it appears you have not.

gr

I don't have any problem with your observation ,just told that I've not tried that.
Because of room space /placement constraints I have not tried it.
Only thing I've tried is subwoofer crawling method .Coz when I placed the dali sub in a corner ,it was booming .So tried the subwoofer crawling to place it.
The rest I have done only Audyssey calibration.
I welcome more ideas ,knowledge sharing and experiments which will be more helpful for FMs.

OK one query:

While I will be using Z7 and vokal at front stage, wondering if Z1 for its ability will be under utilized if its kept as surrounds alone. Instead - I am planning to use my polk TSX110 for surrounds and Z1 will then be connected to Lepai for TV & stereo sound set up.

Let me know if this approach is correct in terms of sound stage.

Yes that would be a good move. Z1 are too good to be surrounds. However, do swap and listen for a day or two.

Btw, where do you live? I guess you are quite close to Whitefield.

MaSh

Because of room space /placement constraints I have not tried it.
I welcome more ideas ,knowledge sharing and experiments which will be more helpful for FMs.

Thanks.

Why does turning a speaker on its axis towards the listening position a/k/a toe in, require additional space ?

ciao
gr

Another small query - the label at the back of the speakers says "R". what does this denote? Is this Right/Left ? Mine has 'R' in both

I had helped out a friend recently to unpack and setup his Dali/Yamaha system. As the pair come packed together in the same box so it is unlikely that the mistake of having 2 R's was made at the factory - but still possible. It is more likely that your local dealer repacked the pair improperly.

Another way of checking it out would be to send the serial numbers of both your R's to Dali and confirming from them. They do respond to mails.

Back