Floorstanders - Dali Zensor 5 vs 7 : Audition & Queries

RahulP

Hi folks,

I wanted to give a quick report of recent audition of Dali Zensor 5. Hope it will help other FMs.

I also have questions regarding Dali Zensors (specifically 5 vs. 7) and would very much appreciate help from experienced FMs / Dali users.

No offense intended to anybody with opinions expressed :)

Audition Report:

Place: The Sound Factor - East Street, Pune
Speaker auditioned: Dali Zensor 5
Music: Self made audition CD using flac files
Amp: Yamaha, Arcam FMJ A19
CD: Yamaha, Cyrus

I have decided to change the speakers and opt for floorstanders. Current speakers are wharfedale 9.2s. So, took first round of audition with Dali zensor 5 as above.

I had telephoned in the morning and fixed a time for audition in the evening. Shang (The sound factor), had spoken to me and welcomed me once i reached. I also had shown interest in starting range of Focal speakers. So, Dali Zensor 5 and Focal chorus 714 was on agenda.

We started with zensor 5. I had heard good things about zensor 5 especially that it is very musical and good performer in all frequency slabs.

As we started the first track, in few seconds I was getting restless/nervous. The speaker sounded very laid back / boring. The lower bass was weak. The sound stage was certainly not created. I didn't certainly expect that to happen.. Listening to the full track and couple of more tracks confirmed it. The sound was dull and flat...

Then I sensed something. I couldn't take my Marantz PM6004 amp so was relying on the amps available in the shop. The Yamaha amp/CD player combo (I do not know the model numbers) was the culprit probably. I requested Shang to change it to Arcam, which we had talked about on phone. He happily obliged also changing the CD player to cyrus... and we resumed.

WOW.. what a difference it was. Literally day & night! The speakers suddenly came alive and started dancing.. It was all musical sound. Suddenly the enjoyment level was high. I completed the entire CD.

I was bit skeptical given the size of the speakers as these ones are the smallest floorstanders I have seen. But the speakers didn't fall short of creating a soundstage and producing enough bass.

Some observations:
* Adequate bass
* reasonable separation of instruments
* at times, the high frequency sound was bit bright to my taste
* cyrus/arcam combo was unforgiving so it highlighted good AND bad parts of recording
* vocals were good and soothing
* at times treble was bit 'loose' / muddy

As said earlier, the experience was enjoyable!

Then, we switched to Focal chorus 714. I had heard Focal BS before and had liked it so was eager & curious.. To my surprise 714s failed to impress me (It's subjective so no offense to owners). The sound apparently was very neutral. It was not flat but as if the speaker was doing a mundane job of an office worker.. Delivering without enthusiasm. Again this was my perception. Other bigger (& more expensive) models may be give (drastically) different experience. I stopped the audition after 4-5 tracks (out of total 20 :)).

Now, there are a few things am wondering about:

1. Having read about zensor 7 being bigger & better in some departments than zensor 5, should I go for it? Apparently audition is not possible at 'The sound factor' as they don't keep 7s in stock. So will have to visit Mumbai. Shang suggested that given 22x12 room size (listening distance 10 ft), 7s will be better and especially because of the (low/normal) volume level I am used to (typically 9 clock on the amp)

2. Will 45 w output of Marantz PM 6004 able to drive zensor 7?

3. The other shortlisted speakers are:
* Q Acoustics 2050i (What hifi 5 start rating, 2013 award winner). No audition possible in Pune afa I know. Will have to check with Imperial sound, Mumbai for the audition (& possibly zensor 7)
* Wharfedale 155 : Good review on what hifi. Cheaper than Dali 7 (equal to Dali 5). What hifi had cut one star because of poor build but they were happy with the sound
* Boston Acoustics A360: Good reviews by magazines and owners. But don't want to compromise just because its cheaper

4. One question to Dali owners: With zensor 5 or 7 , the protective cover doesn't fit on the speakers tightly. By design, there is a gap of 1 cm approx. So the obvious question is in Indian dusty environment will the speakers cones be protected adequately? (I know fine dust particles must be travelling thru even if the cover is tight but this gap is obvious)

Thanks.

If music is your priority then, I would say you should go for a bookshelf and a sealed sub. Probably dali Zensor 3 and a good sub.

I personally don't like the Zensor 5 sound for music. But my priority was movies so I may not have gave much attention during audition.

Zensor 7 specs says 45 w is enough to drive the speakers but you may need to use the amp volume at least 90%

DALI ZENSOR 7

Recommended Amplifier Power [W] 40 - 150

As far as the protective cover is concern, it's not a big deal, most people don't use it even.

I have the experience of using the zensor 5 for a couple of weeks. Driven by Denon X2000. For a 9 ft distance, it sounds very fine. But also its combined with Velodyne Eq Max, so the combination might be responsible of sounding very rich and detailed. In my opinion too, a sub might be required to enrich zensor 5's performance.

I did auditioned the 7's too, but just for a little time, since they were big and will not suit the rooms aesthetics. zensor 5's seemed to be very correct size and the audition went well. So yes the 7's does sound better than the 5's, but with the sub, I am not seemingly missing anything.

Good luck on your search!.

With Zensor 5,bass is less and doesnt go deeper.Dali 7 is better in that.But if you liked 5,then surely you can save some money.

Hi Rahul,
Do try to audition the Dali Ikon 5 with arcam A 19 if you were wowed with the zensors this would blow you away..:)

Cheers
Ravi

I was in the same boat some months back. I didnt get chance to audition Zensor 7 but I am already impressed with the Zensor 5 during audition and for music I dont feel any need for sub hence went with Z5 and also saved 10k :licklips: by the process. If you feel the need for deeper bass then I would suggest you to add sub in the later stage, in that way you can have a control over lows.

Happy Hunting!

Edit : Regarding the cover gaps, there is nothing serious so dont worry about that. Just relax and enjoy :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

First, a quick update on the other speakers:

* Took the audition of Wharfedale 155 but was not impressed at all
* Imperial sound, Mumbai : They never had Q Acoustics. So audition is a big problem. Without audition I can't even think of buying a 66K speakers (even thought I was happy to learn that it is available at HiFiMart)
* I may audition Boston acoustics A360.

@Arjun4, @kishanvkumar, @karthick-raja: I am not exactly a big fan of 'sub' . Don't know why but psychologically can't digest the idea. I would describe it as 'sound transplant' :). Its just an opinion (and completely wrong/subjective/prejudiced one :) ) Anyways.

@Arjun4 : 90% volume > that is really crazy :). I usually listen with 9 or 10 o'clock volume level ... I really then have to re-think about dali 7!!!

@spirovious: Yes, there is always a budget for everything and mine was 60K for the floorstanders. But, I am looking at this purchase as an investment for next at least 5 years. So one big aspect gets a tickmark (Best speakers in the price slab: Done! I do not want to spend extra bucks un-necessarily but also don't want to repent after few months that I should have spent extra 8-10K to go for xyz speakers if I had liked them. (I am ready to extend the budget anyways for Dali zensor 7).

@rav_mk1: Sure will try if I can. But they seem to be quite out of my budget.

@karthick-raja : Thanks for the assurance about the cover gaps.

So next steps:
1. Try Dali 5 once again but with my amp this time
2. Decide if to audition Boston Acoustics A360

Cheers!

@Arjun4 : I just checked and Arcam FMJ A19's power output is 50w. So I wonder why with Marantz's 45w one would need to increase the volume to be 90%? I did check the specs page in the link you gave.
Am I missing something?

I think a stereo amplifier's power output of 45W, in real world. produce a little more - or at least appear to do so. Because lower power stereo amps seem to drive speakers more effectively than higher power AVRs
(There are always exceptions, but on average you could call stereo amplifiers conservatively rated)
Keeping that in mind, dont write off the Marantz + Dali Zensor 7 combo. If possible, carry your amplifier for the final audition

Checking the website of The Babbler Group, The Shop in Mumbai & Oceanic Sound and Vision in Pune appear to be dealers for Q Acoustics

And at your price range, you should consider the Tannoy Mercury V4i too
They have won many awards and few forum members demoed Zensors and Mercurys and chose the Tannoy over the Dali

Also, I think you were given the right advice. With your room size, a Zensor 7 will sound better

Last edited:
@grunthos : Thank you very much.

In fact, I had sent email inquiring about Q Acoustics speakers to the email addresses mentioned on Babbler group website. But there was no response :mad:

I will check with Oceanic. Also will try to read/review Tannoy Mercury V4i.

Cheers

Sorry for posting in 2 parts
Two other good options (ones that I liked) in the same budget are
- Monitor Audio BX5
- Paradigm Monitor 7

The BX5s are also diminutive like the Zensor 5s, but looks are even more deceptive in this case. Monitor Audio is carried by Imperial Audio in Fort, Mumbai. Also, someone on the forum shopping in the same range, preferred the BX5 sound to the Zensor

In my list, the Zensors were ranked at 1
Monitor Audio BX-5 and Paradigm Monitor 7s were joint second

@Arjun4 : I just checked and Arcam FMJ A19's power output is 50w. So I wonder why with Marantz's 45w one would need to increase the volume to be 90%? I did check the specs page in the link you gave.
Am I missing something?

Are you referring to Arcam FMJ A19 with Dali zensor 7 or Dali Ikon 5?

DALI IKON 5 MK2

Recommended Amplifier Power [W] 30 - 150

Minimum Amp power needed is 30 W.

Dali Zensor 7

Recommended Amplifier Power [W] 40 - 150

Minimum Amp power needed is 40 W & the max out put of Marantz's is 45

Thanks again @grunthos.

@Arjun4 : I was referring to Dali 7. By the way, do you mean to say that if x is the power output then to get 'full' power one needs to set the volume at 100%? I may be wrong but I don't think that's the case. (Please read rest of the post).

So guys, finally I have decided to go for Dali Zensor 7!!!

I took the audition again with my amp (Marantz PM6004) with Dali zensor 5. With volume between 9 or 10 clock it sounded adequate!

Since almost everybody agrees/shares the experience that 7 maintains the same texture/signature of sound and is better/bigger in some departments especially bass, hence the 'leap of faith' on my part :)

I also auditioned Q Acoustics 2050i and Tannoy mercury V4i at Oceanic , Pune. Unfortunately, my guess is that either their room accoustics is messed up or as they kept saying the external construction sound/vibration caused the humming OR both! All in all, though they were courteous , friendly and helpful , the listening experience with the speakers was not ideal. I was especially disappointed with Q Acoustics 2050i .

Some observations:
* Q Acoustics 2050i had lot of boomy bass with humming sound.. not at all tight/controlled.
* Vocals were good in both and slightly better in QA than Tannoy
* Tannoy sounded better overall.. Tight(er) bass
* Both failed to create the 'wow' factor

One sort of 'litmus' taste I apply to the audition: Is the audio equipment increasing/creating the ability of the entire setup to 'emotionally connect' to you.. As mentioned earlier, it felt like Dali 5s were dancing while passing on the music they were supposed to pass on from amp. If you are tapping your foot or moving your neck to appreciate something within few seconds of the audition track, chances are that either the equipment has a bad combination, or some environmental problem or both :)

So, will be booking Dali zensor 7 tomorrow :yahoo:.

Cheers !!!

@Arjun4 : Thanks for the article.. am yet to read it.

But, I was wondering about this:

If my amp output is 45w
If speaker's recommended power is 30 - 150 (Dali zensor 5)
and If during the audition the volume was say 1/3 of max volume,
then according to your logic, with 15 (i.e. 45/3 or even say 20 for error correction) w power (proportionate to volume), how come the speakers sounded enjoyable and power adequate? Does it mean that the speakers will sound ok/good with lower power than recommended but its not 'good' for the speaker health? :)

Please note that am just curious about the logic/how power specifications work :)

May be reading the article will throw some light on the topic...

Cheers!

All Gurus on the forum: SOS ! :)

As mentioned I have decided to go for Dali Zensor 7. My amp is Marantz PM6004.

The specs are as follows:

1. Marantz PM6004 power: 45w
2. Dali zensor 5 Recommended Amplifier Power [W] : 30-150
3. Dali zensor 7 Recommended Amplifier Power [W] : 30-150
4. Current speakers wharfedale 9.2 Recommended Amplifier Power [W] : 20-100

The audition experience with my amp with Dali 5 was very enjoyable with normal volume (9 to 10 clock)

The question is: Will 45w amp output be adequate to drive Dali zensor 7?

Things I want to bring to your attention:
* I listen with normal /moderate volume i.e. 9 to 10 clock
* I don't listen to bass heavy music (dancefloor music)
* As the person at the dealer observed, I listen to soothing, melodious, detail oriented music (of course I absolutely do enjoy good bass/grand sound and that's why buying floorstanders , but what I mean is I don't listen to constant 'boom boom' type music. )
* zensor 7s not available for audition. Impractical to take my amp out of the city.

I am planning to make an advance payment today so your immediate help/comments are much appreciated.
Thanks much in advance.

Back