Floorstanding speakers/Amplifier pairing

Jesusly

Hi guys,

I have decided to go for Floor standing speakers as i my living room area is around 270 sqft. My budget is around 1-1.2 lakh max.

I live in Goa, we don't have many options for demo on different brands. I listen to Rock/Metal Music and the setup is for Music only.

Researching on internet, I have read about QAcoustics 3050i, Dali spektor6, Elac DEBUT F5.2, polk audio etc. I need a Stereo Amp/AV receiver which has Bluetooth or wifi support, which works with floor standing speakers for rock/metal music. I will spend max 65k for speaker(pair) and 55K max on the Amplifier.

So can you'll suggest good combos for this price.

Last edited:
Please try auditioning (if possible) Klipsch RP-600M with NAD C326BEE V1 Integrated Amp. Pairs exceedingly well and very dynamic sounding. It should suit your music tastes

Recently in What HiFi Show 2019, Mumbai I have auditioned Bluesound Powernode 2i with PSB Alpha T20 and the combo sounds very good for the price. This will be one box solution with stremer, DAC and amplifier. Also auditioned Q Acoustic 3050i with Marantz AVR and Q Acoustic seems to be better option within 60k range. May be Bluesound Powernode 2i with Q Acoustic 3050i will make a great Stereo set up with minimal components.

Hi guys,

I have decided to go for Floor standing speakers as i my living room area is around 270 sqft. My budget is around 1-1.2 lakh max.

I live in Goa, we don't have many options for demo on different brands. I listen to Rock/Metal Music and the setup is for Music only.

Researching on internet, I have read about QAcoustics 3050i, Dali spektor6, Elac DEBUT F5.2, polk audio etc. I need a Stereo Amp/AV receiver which has Bluetooth or wifi support, which works with floor standing speakers for rock/metal music. I will spend max 65k for speaker(pair) and 55K max on the Amplifier.

So can you'll suggest good combos for this price.

The brands you have mentioned are all nice brands. The main concern is pairing with matching amplifiers.
You can try Dali with Marantz Amps or few members also like the pairing of QAcoustics with Marantz. Polk speakers are more suitable for movies. But I recommend you to visit believe your own ears before taking any final decision.

Sometimes, it's too difficult to take decision because of different matching of amplifiers and room treatments in different demo rooms of dealers. In that case, you may read reviews and take help of this beautiful forum for final buy

Dali Zensor and Marantz are sold as sets by many dealers. Whathifi has also praised that pairing.
I have Zensor 1 with a Marantz M-CR502 in my bedroom. Really nice.

Hi jesusly...I started off my 2 channel journey with a bluesound powernode gen 1 and the Qacoustics concept 40's. They sounded good to my ears.

Qacoustics will be suitable for you, if you listen for extended periods of time, as they are a all day listen with zero fatuque. However if you have a busy schedule, and want to have just a short session everyday for say an hour or so, then there are more energetic, forward sounding speakers that will be more exciting and will do better justice to rock. But might not be suitable for longer listening sessions.

Everything is a trade off eventually. And the only way to make out, is to listen for yourselves. Sydney already seems to have suggested a place to listen to stuff in goa. So please give it a visit . Alternately Mumbai is not far off for a weekend. A few thousands spent travelling for a proper audition, will justify the balance of the huge amount you wish to spend.

Please try auditioning (if possible) Klipsch RP-600M with NAD C326BEE V1 Integrated Amp. Pairs exceedingly well and very dynamic sounding. It should suit your music tastes
Hi Sandeep, Thank you for your suggestion. Watching some reviews of Kilpsh RP-600M, seems like it would meet my requirement as its a bright loud speaker. Its retailing at 68K + 11K for the speakers stands. NAD C326BEE is retailing as 45K in india. Can you suggest any other amp which would be good for this speakers. Watching the reviews on Youtube they say you don't need a powerful amp to drive RP-600M speakers. Do you know any other bright speakers/floorstanders which would suit my requirement?

Hi jesusly...I started off my 2 channel journey with a bluesound powernode gen 1 and the Qacoustics concept 40's. They sounded good to my ears.

Qacoustics will be suitable for you, if you listen for extended periods of time, as they are a all day listen with zero fatuque. However if you have a busy schedule, and want to have just a short session everyday for say an hour or so, then there are more energetic, forward sounding speakers that will be more exciting and will do better justice to rock. But might not be suitable for longer listening sessions.

Everything is a trade off eventually. And the only way to make out, is to listen for yourselves. Sydney already seems to have suggested a place to listen to stuff in goa. So please give it a visit . Alternately Mumbai is not far off for a weekend. A few thousands spent travelling for a proper audition, will justify the balance of the huge amount you wish to spend.
Thank you for the reply . I will definitely try to audition some speakers. surely before I buy. Planning to buy the setup in August. So have 1+ month for research.

Hi Sandeep, Thank you for your suggestion. Watching some reviews of Kilpsh RP-600M, seems like it would meet my requirement as its a bright loud speaker. Its retailing at 68K + 11K for the speakers stands. NAD C326BEE is retailing as 45K in india. Can you suggest any other amp which would be good for this speakers. Watching the reviews on Youtube they say you don't need a powerful amp to drive RP-600M speakers. Do you know any other bright speakers/floorstanders which would suit my requirement?
Yes. They're great for Rock/Pop. If NAD326 is out of your budget, do consider the NAD316BEE. It has a lower power output but would be plenty sufficient to drive Klipsch as they are very efficient. Even a 4W Tube amp can drive them (I have no experience using/hearing tube gear though)
Close second would be a Denon Integrated PMA800NE. But I would prefer NAD over Denon.
I think for your room size Klipsch on stands would be better. Klipsch are overpriced in India, hence there is a premium over the international pricing.

Other bright sounding speakers: Polk Audio, Dali Zensor, KEFQ, Monitor Audio

Last edited:
As FM @newlash09 mentioned, if you want several hours of fatigue free listening try auditioning towers from Q Acoustics, wharfedale diamond 240 paired with Marantz PM7005(which also has an inbuilt DAC). These models are also priced at par with US/UK.

@Jesusly
FMs have suggested various options.
Get the speakers that yours "you" like. It is very important.
They are the direct interface to your ears (via your room).

Go for something that will provide "fatigue free" listening.
Today you may spend an hour, tomorrow half a day, and so on.

Match with a suitable amp, power/current wise.
BT/WiFi can be added later, as required; they should not be deal breakers.
In amps, do give a thought to tone/balance controls.
They can be used to tame or pep up listening in simple, yet effective ways.

When budget is in 6 figures, audition is advisable.
Do research, but don't skip legwork for auditions.

Sidenote:
Have you heard any models from Klipsch stable?
Some find them a bit rowdy.

Cheers,
Raghu

@Jesusly
FMs have suggested various options.
Get the speakers that yours "you" like. It is very important.
They are the direct interface to your ears (via your room).

Go for something that will provide "fatigue free" listening.
Today you may spend an hour, tomorrow half a day, and so on.

Match with a suitable amp, power/current wise.
BT/WiFi can be added later, as required; they should not be deal breakers.
In amps, do give a thought to tone/balance controls.
They can be used to tame or pep up listening in simple, yet effective ways.

When budget is in 6 figures, audition is advisable.
Do research, but don't skip legwork for auditions.

Sidenote:
Have you heard any models from Klipsch stable?
Some find them a bit rowdy.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Raghu,

Thank you for your insights. I have only heard the FS QAcoustics 2050i with Marantz Amp at my friend's place few days back. I liked the sound. He has a custom room for it which has area of 95 sqft approx. My living room is way big at around 270sqft. So i am slightly confused.

Last edited:
Hi Raghu,

Thank you for your insights. I have only heard the FS QAcoustics 2050i with Marantz Amp at my friend's place few days back. I liked the sound. He has a custom room for it which has area of 95 sqft approx. My living room is way big at around 270sqft. So i am slightly confused.
Marantz makes good amps. I have been using one for 12 years now.
Among the usual suspects, available widely in India (Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc), I have personally like Marantz at given price points.
Speaker wise I have heard Q-Acoustics only once in a trade show. There are FMs more knowledgeable about their products.
Marantz + KEF are a good match; I have heard many pairings.

Speakers for a large room:
- FS will do great if given space (3 feet away from back and side walls are ideal)
- high efficiency, 88/90dB and above; can achieve decent SPL for your room
- 8 ohm nominal impedance; easier to drive and makes your amp choices wider
- determine your normal seating position to calculate desired SPL
- most important; you should like them

Amps:
- something in the 70-100Wpc are common in your price range
- if the unit declares current capability it will be useful
- tone/balance controls are beneficial
- integrated DAC is nice if you want a single box solution

Sources:
- what are your existing or planned sources?

It is OK to be confused. It will bring out relevant questions; hopefully followed by meaningful answers.

Cheers,
Raghu

Marantz makes good amps. I have been using one for 12 years now.
Among the usual suspects, available widely in India (Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc), I have personally like Marantz at given price points.
Speaker wise I have heard Q-Acoustics only once in a trade show. There are FMs more knowledgeable about their products.
Marantz + KEF are a good match; I have heard many pairings.

Speakers for a large room:
- FS will do great if given space (3 feet away from back and side walls are ideal)
- high efficiency, 88/90dB and above; can achieve decent SPL for your room
- 8 ohm nominal impedance; easier to drive and makes your amp choices wider
- determine your normal seating position to calculate desired SPL
- most important; you should like them

Amps:
- something in the 70-100Wpc are common in your price range
- if the unit declares current capability it will be useful
- tone/balance controls are beneficial
- integrated DAC is nice if you want a single box solution

Sources:
- what are your existing or planned sources?

It is OK to be confused. It will bring out relevant questions; hopefully followed by meaningful answers.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Raghu, I am not a Audiophile. I want to listen to Rock/Metal music at home, that would make me feel as if i am listening to a live band. Like How i would get in Hard Rock cafe etc(I know their sound setup is in Crores). It about getting Goosebumps and want to head bang(hope you are a rock fan ). The source for starters will be my phone(spotify/MP3 tracks).

Been there done that. Head banging after a few beers in my younger days.
Pick the speakers that will give you what you are searching for.
From what I remember KEF Q series or Polk Audio towers can give you that SPL.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Raghu, I am not a Audiophile. I want to listen to Rock/Metal music at home, that would make me feel as if i am listening to a live band. Like How i would get in Hard Rock cafe etc(I know their sound setup is in Crores). It about getting Goosebumps and want to head bang(hope you are a rock fan ). The source for starters will be my phone(spotify/MP3 tracks).
You are not an audiophile, granted. In this journey once you enter it there is no getting out. Tomorrow you will be left wanting for more beyond the head-banging, do make provisions for that. Apart from all the usual suspects that have been mentioned by fellow forum members I would add the Marantz + Dali combo. This is a good, no-fuss match. If you can find a Cambridge Audio 651 or 550 don't hesitate to pick them up, in the entry level segment these are good bargain amps for the money.

Aah...So you want hard rock cafe sound :D

Glad you mentioned that :)

I think you should definitely audition those rowdy klipschs with a powerful Nad or Yamaha amp. All the best...fellow head banger :)

Ok Guys, I found few dealers in Goa who are into Hifi sound. Sound House, Ichos, AVLProGlobal and Audiophile. I will go and Audition some setups. Thank you guys for your inputs.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back