Focal Chorus 807 V v/s Dali Ikon 2 v/s MA RS 1

sidsekhri

Heh guys,

My req is mostly for movies... confused between the Focal Chorus 807 V's, the Dali Ikon 2's and MA RS1 ... looking for a bookshelf setup only....

Appreciate your comments....

Cheers,

Sid

Hi:

The RS1 may be a tad bright for your liking when partnered with the wrong amp, but with the right amp they do their duty really well for HT setup. Having said that, the Dali might be more pleasant to your ears with the right punch for HT setup. Never heard Focal, so can't comment on them. Have you listened to all the three, which one did you like sound the best ?

... confused between the Focal Chorus 807 V's, the Dali Ikon 2's and MA RS1 ... looking for a bookshelf setup only....
Sid

All excellent bookshelf speakers. I have heard them all and can confidently say that, go ahead with the 807V. This Focal combines the best of other 2 mentioned above. Infact, the order you put would be my suggestion as well!

Out of the three the Dali will be a little shy on bass but then if you are looking for HT/movies purposes, there is always the sub to take care of this.

Cheers.

I have just heard the Dali Ikon's yet... and they sounded great... now looking forward to testing the Monitor Audio's .... a friend from this forum told me that there is not much to compare b/w the Dali Ikon's and MA Silver. So am expecting to be swept away in my MA Silver audition as well.

Focal Chorus 807 V is something i am really interested in as well... have read great reviews.... but have not gotten the opportunity to hear them .... would love to receive comments and advice from people of this forum.

Heh guys,

My req is mostly for movies... confused between the Focal Chorus 807 V's, the Dali Ikon 2's and MA RS1 ... looking for a bookshelf setup only....

Appreciate your comments....

Cheers,

Sid

what amp are you going to be using? This will be a huge factor in going with one brand vs. another.

what amp are you going to be using? This will be a huge factor in going with one brand vs. another.

Well if its brand i am considering Onkyo or Yamaha AVR's as I have heard they are the best for movies....

In specific the Onkyo 706 or higher and the Yamaha 863 or higher.

All excellent bookshelf speakers. I have heard them all and can confidently say that, go ahead with the 807V. This Focal combines the best of other 2 mentioned above. Infact, the order you put would be my suggestion as well!

Out of the three the Dali will be a little shy on bass but then if you are looking for HT/movies purposes, there is always the sub to take care of this.

Cheers.

Heh what sub would you recommend with the Focal's ... i was thinking something from Velodyne (any recommendation on which one from this brand ) ... or should i go ahead with Focal Sub for the audition.... ?????

Well if its brand i am considering Onkyo or Yamaha AVR's as I have heard they are the best for movies....

In specific the Onkyo 706 or higher and the Yamaha 863 or higher.

For Onkyo's or Yamaha's I suggest Focal > MA > Dali

Focals have excellent midrange and top end. Very exact and refined for HT.

THe MA's are slightly bright compared to the others. Also from my auditions, the low end was not that well defined for music (HT needs this much more unless you will pair with a sub).

I dont believe Dali will pair well for HT applications due to the wide dispersions. I personally think they will do better with a Denon.

All these bookshelves require 200 - 250 hrs burn in time if you believe in that.

You may also want to consider B&W, PSB to get some other options.

Heh what sub would you recommend with the Focal's ... i was thinking something from Velodyne (any recommendation on which one from this brand ) ... or should i go ahead with Focal Sub for the audition.... ?????

Well personally i would like to stick with the same brand and series. Bass is not dependent on tonal match but i like symmetry!

Its always best to invest in a dedicated sub made by people who specialize in it. You have names like REL, Velodyne, SVS, Sunfire etc. What could be your proposed budget. If budget no bar - then my pick would be DD18.

You can find few details here

Cheers.

For Onkyo's or Yamaha's I suggest Focal > MA > Dali

Focals have excellent midrange and top end. Very exact and refined for HT.

THe MA's are slightly bright compared to the others. Also from my auditions, the low end was not that well defined for music (HT needs this much more unless you will pair with a sub).

I dont believe Dali will pair well for HT applications due to the wide dispersions. I personally think they will do better with a Denon.

All these bookshelves require 200 - 250 hrs burn in time if you believe in that.

You may also want to consider B&W, PSB to get some other options.

Heh what if i add the Usher's to this mix of great speakers... have recieved an audition request for the Usher X series... how do they stack up to the Focals.....

to the OP
you are gonna buy some serious bookshelves and pair it with receivers.
ummm...i dont know what to say

i can understand you need of receivers but if i had some extran money i would buy a stereo amp in addition and see those speakers shine,
(maybe you have already plannd for that later huh?)

if you are buying only for movies i would actaully advice you to take a step down instead ( lower range of speakers)

Heh what if i add the Usher's to this mix of great speakers... have recieved an audition request for the Usher X series... how do they stack up to the Focals.....

Like I mentioned in your PM, these are overkill for HT. YOu can get very good HT effects for a lot lesser as they are easier to achieve than music

Heh guys appreciate all the views you guys are providing... thanks again for all the help... but my last thread was comparing Focal's with Usher's....

Has anyone compared them both head to head..... thats what i would like to know????

Well the only Usher I have ever heard is the simple but brilliant S520. It was hooked up to a NAD combo and the sound was beautiful. Later I heard the same with the exposure combo and then also i loved the sound.

There are many forum members who owns Usher models here. Am sure someone will chip in soon.

Best regards.

Heh guys appreciate all the views you guys are providing... thanks again for all the help... but my last thread was comparing Focal's with Usher's....

Has anyone compared them both head to head..... thats what i would like to know????

I have auditioned the BE 718 (Tiny Dancers) a fair bit. Excellent speakers but the pricing could be lowered. That was my only beef. However this was for music application rather than HT.

If you want cheaper options for HT, let us know your budget, 5/6 or 7.1 plan and you will get tons of responses.

I do agree with Magma. These speakers are overkill for pure HT purposes. If its stereo music, then by all means lets discuss these speakers threadbare. As otherwise, there are other options available at much cheaper prices when talking of a 5.1 or a 7.1 channel setup. With not too much lost effects-wise when one talks about movies in particular.

Just to ensure there is no confusion, the question is the Usher X series vs the others, not the BE-718 !! The Be-718 is in a different price range vs the options mentioned (Ikon 2, MA, etc). This particular model is the X-718.

cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back