Form 38 road permit for courier bringing PJs

rshri

Hi,

I live in Noida (UP). Last year I imported a projector (valued Rs 26k) from US using Aramax couriers. The PJ reached Aramax's New Delhi office without any problem, but the courier guys refused to deliver it to my home at Greater Noida and asked me for "Form 38 road permit" for the same. They said that without Form 38, if they bring PJ in UP, it may be confiscated at the border. I did not know how to obtain the same, so I made the courier deliver the projector to an acquaintance's house at Delhi (My Delhi acquaintance had to shell out 11K at the time of delivery to pay for import and duty). Then later I brought the PJ home myself.

In another instance, when I bought a recliner from Delhi, the seller asked me for Form 38 to deliver it to my home at Greater Noida. I was able to convince him to bring it to me without it.

Have you ever faced any problem of this sort? How does a simpleton like me obtain Form 38? I don't have a TAN or anything.

Thanks!

Hi, you need a Form 38 only for commercial transactions in UP between 2 businesses....you do not need a Form 38 for personal items.....
Hopwever if Aramex insists, it would be better for you to collect it from their office in Delhi if they allow as the officials at the UP border are ridiculous (the worst excise guys in the country probably)...

You don\'t need form 38. The form that is needed is Form 39 (non-commercial).

You have to get this form from the local sales tax office. It just says that you don\\\'t have to pay any sales tax on your purchase and that it is meant to be used personally by you and is not meant for resale.

You can download the form on internet from the sales tax website and get it stamped and signed at the local sales tax office or visit the office and get the form from there itself. You can even contact a tout who usually hang around the office and they will get the complete work done for 500-1000 rupees.

I feel this to be a useless rule that is implemented in UP.

Three methods which I have found that people use to save this headache and to save the money that goes into the pockets of touts-

1 - Declaring the value of the shipment as less than 5K
2 - Convincing the courier company (and the sales tax people if they bump into the parcel) that it contains something that is returning after getting serviced from the service center.
3 - It is a used item and a gift from someone.

Obviously carrying the item in person is another alternative.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back