Fostex 126 En + Eminence Beta 12 A 2 Full Range Speaker System

Satyaki Banerjee

My 4th DIY speaker design project. The Fostex 126 En driver runs full range, the Eminence Beta 12 A 2 driver fills the low frequency spectrum.

The Fostex runs in its own sealed enclosure with no crossover components in its signal path.

The Eminence gets a bass reflex enclosure with dual ports. Crossover to the bass driver is done through a Solen 6 mH inductor.

Cabinet construction and bracing using hardwood ply.

This project has been a departure from the back loaded horns that I had built earlier, and I must say the new speaker sounds brilliant.

I intend to run these speakers using Croft Acoustics integrated amplifier that should be on its way in a few weeks.

IMG-20200830-WA0005.jpgIMG-20200830-WA0006.jpgIMG-20200830-WA0010.jpgIMG-20200830-WA0007.jpg

those look like large dimensions !

is this a self designed speaker or the implementation of a design that exists out there ?

nice driver selection too..

maybe you could start a company selling speakers like this !

'maybe you could start a company selling speakers like this' !

Yes. He has the capability for that.
He has made lovely cabinets like these previously too. His previous TL cabinets based on fostex drivers are also a fine example of elegance, beautiful finish and craftsmanship.
He is a quiet sort of knowledgeable DIY person. And who doesn't make much noise.

those look like large dimensions !

is this a self designed speaker or the implementation of a design that exists out there ?

nice driver selection too..

Thank you for your kind comments.

While the concept of a full range driver assisted by a woofer has been around, this particular speaker is designed by me. The full range Fostex driver does not have any crossover components, the sealed chamber for the driver acts like an acoustic crossover to the woofer. The selection of woofer is important to blend properly with the speed and dynamics of a high BL low Qts full range. The Eminence drivers have light paper cones with very strong magnets, again high BL and low Qts and they blend superbly with full range drivers.

wow handsome looking speakers, lovely table as well. Any videos of them singing ?
Will post soon. Thank you for your kind comments.

These are the earlier 3 DIY projects that were executed by me.

The 1st project is a back loaded double horn for the Fostex 166 En driver. This is based on the Haruna design available on the Frugal Horn website.

The 2nd project is a combination of transmission line and back loaded horn loading I designed for the Fostex Sigma drivers.

The 3rd project is a back loaded horn for the Fostex 126 En driver.

IMG-20200906-WA0010.jpgphoto 3.jpgHorn_Speaker03verysmall_KZI5996_AA_copy1.jpg

I think he already has, wonder why no reference to these earlier posts here?:
Cheers,
Sid

this particular speaker is designed by me
Well done !

The 1st project is a back loaded double horn for the Fostex 166 En driver. This is based on the Haruna design available on the Frugal Horn website.

The 2nd project is a combination of transmission line and back loaded horn loading I designed for the Fostex Sigma drivers.

View attachment 49368View attachment 49369View attachment 49370
Sir

Which is your best project to date ?

I am pretty sure these speakers will be quite satisfying with a tube pre or a tube integrated amp

View attachment 49368View attachment 49369View attachment 49370
Very nice builds. In the second picture from the bottom, which Lyrita equipment is it between the CDP and the TT? Is it a custom design phono amp? Looks nice.

It is time to start a new speaker project.

My fifth project.

I love the way my last speaker design of Full Range + Helper Bass Driver sounds, and I will take this concept further.

For the new project I will be using an Alnico Full Range Driver manufactured by a highly regarded boutique speaker manufacturer in Hungary. It's a 7in driver with a whizzer cone and a custom made wooden phase plug, cloth accordion surround. High BL alnico drive system. Sensitivity of 94 db and QTS of .3. This driver would be placed in a sealed chamber having a Q of .707.

For low frequency I will be using Eminence Kappa 15 LFA in a ported enclosure. 1st order Butterworth crossover at 250 Hz.

Lot of excitement ahead.

Full rangers sound best in some kind of front horn. You haven’t heard their true potential unless you have heard them in a front horn. The best full range designs were speakers that combined a front horn with a rear horn - the Beauhorn and the TP1 Isis come to mind. But the cabs tent to be deep and large. The TP1’s exponential horn is quite easy to build but the back horn can give the most ardent DIYer second thoughts. A clever designer could combine the exponential horn with a bass bin to create a truly wonderful speaker.

All the best with your build.

Full rangers sound best in some kind of front horn. You haven’t heard their true potential unless you have heard them in a front horn. The best full range designs were speakers that combined a front horn with a rear horn - the Beauhorn and the TP1 Isis come to mind. But the cabs tent to be deep and large. The TP1’s exponential horn is quite easy to build but the back horn can give the most ardent DIYer second thoughts. A clever designer could combine the exponential horn with a bass bin to create a truly wonderful speaker.

All the best with your build.
I fully agree. I have heard a few front horns with Lowther drivers and they sound brilliant. I had once planned to build a double mouth back loaded horn and exponential front horn. Maybe at a future date.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back