Fostex 126 En + Eminence Beta 12 A 2 Full Range Speaker System

@Satyaki Banerjee - Nice cables. Btw, what's your opinion / experience with speaker cable capacitance and what cable capacitance would you settle down for? The cables in the image look to me like a high capacitance cable with hot and cold polarity very close and parallel to each other. Have you experienced any low capacitance speaker cable before?

IMG_20210809_130749.jpg

The above is the snapshot of the capacitance values of the Mogami W3103 speaker cables. I believe they have a nice balance of resistance, inductance and capacitance.

• DC Resistance (20°C): 0.005Ω/m(0.0015Ω/Ft)
  • Inductance (1kHz, 20°C) 1-2: 0.6µH/m (0.18µH/Ft)

I have a fairly limited experience with speaker cables. For the first 3 projects that were single full range driver BLH speakers paired with 2A3 SET amplifier, I used solid core copper cables. They seemed the perfect match to my ears. Focused, natural and full bodied sound.

When I shifted to a 2 way design using a 12 inch bass driver, I felt it sounded better with stranded wire. I used 12 AWG Supra classic cables for external wiring and 14 AWG for internal wiring. Supra cables use tin plated copper. Somewhere I had the feeling that it adds a slight colour to the sound, though for all these years I was liking it.

Now that I am starting a new speaker project, I decided to use stranded but pure copper cables. Mogami cables are known to be absolutely neutral sounding, partly due to their legacy of making cables for Studio applications. I have always used Mogami 2803 RCA interconnects and the speaker cables harmonizes the entire chain.

The above is the snapshot of the capacitance values of the Mogami W3103 speaker cables. I believe they have a nice balance of resistance, inductance and capacitance.

• DC Resistance (20°C): 0.005Ω/m(0.0015Ω/Ft)
  • Inductance (1kHz, 20°C) 1-2: 0.6µH/m (0.18µH/Ft)
These are quite impressive. They give around 80 ohms characteristics impedance which still is very high compared to speaker impedance.

I have a fairly limited experience with speaker cables. For the first 3 projects that were single full range driver BLH speakers paired with 2A3 SET amplifier, I used solid core copper cables. They seemed the perfect match to my ears. Focused, natural and full bodied sound.

When I shifted to a 2 way design using a 12 inch bass driver, I felt it sounded better with stranded wire. I used 12 AWG Supra classic cables for external wiring and 14 AWG for internal wiring. Supra cables use tin plated copper. Somewhere I had the feeling that it adds a slight colour to the sound, though for all these years I was liking it.

Now that I am starting a new speaker project, I decided to use stranded but pure copper cables. Mogami cables are known to be absolutely neutral sounding, partly due to their legacy of making cables for Studio applications. I have always used Mogami 2803 RCA interconnects and the speaker cables harmonizes the entire chain.
IME, using the right cable is everything in audio. An inch of bad wire can ruin the entire music experience.

@Satyaki Banerjee
Do you consider characteristics impedance of speakers or interconnects when connecting source and destination? Since we are DIY guys it will be possible for us to do this matching unlike commercial products.

I very recently have tried matching characteristics impedance of my interconnect cables from my pre amplifier to power amplifier. I have added some series resistors and parallel capacitors to achieve this match. I am already liking what I am listening. The obvious difference was reduced edging and distortion. Now my next DIY activity is do this match for the speakers too.

Agreed many don't believe that matching cables to source and destination loads are required for short cable runs as the loss will be miniscule if any. But again I am listening better audio with this match. I have not noticed any gain or attenuation of signal due to this matching.

Based on my speaker cables measured value it's current CI is around 62 ohms. I need to reduce that to around 4 ohms for my speakers. I will need to add some resistors, capacitors across the terminals to match this.

Applied this wisdom to my speaker cables - I have seen similar techniques used in ex-FM mpw Merlin speakers.

Last edited:
IMG-20230618-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230618-WA0002.jpg

The Leak Amplifier makes way for a 2A3 amplifier made by Viren Bakshi. I have owned two versions of his 2A3 amplifier in the past. A 2A3 integrated as well as a full DHT pre-power.

The current version is the simplest of the three. It is a two stage amplifier with Soviet 6S4P-DR input tubes, NOS RCA grey plate 2A3 power tubes and Soviet 5C4S rectifier tube.

This is a brilliant sounding amplifier and I prefer this over all the Lyrita 2A3 versions I have owned / heard in the past.

View attachment 77720

View attachment 77721

The Leak Amplifier makes way for a 2A3 amplifier made by Viren Bakshi. I have owned two versions of his 2A3 amplifier in the past. A 2A3 integrated as well as a full DHT pre-power.

The current version is the simplest of the three. It is a two stage amplifier with Soviet 6S4P-DR input tubes, NOS RCA grey plate 2A3 power tubes and Soviet 5C4S rectifier tube.

This is a brilliant sounding amplifier and I prefer this over all the Lyrita 2A3 versions I have owned / heard in the past.

What is the difference in the sound of the Leak and this Lyrita?

Lovely rig & a really good approach to a speaker if the level-matching and slopes can work-out (and of course the size). Applaud the time and effort to focus on matching. I lost at least 10 years on those little drivers so I have an idea of what you've hatched. Thanks for posting updates.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back