frankmehta goes Speaker shopping! A few honest auditions.

The Wharfedale surrounds are the weak link. Insensitive, rarely firing buggers. Had to turn the rear satellites up by 3 db during the Dark Knight blu-ray (a disc I use to show off my system, especially the tunnel scene.)

What makes you say so...?

1. Are they not powerful enough for the rest of the speakers ? Or is their performance not good enough to start with...?

2. Are they not matching with the Dali 6 and the rest of the system ?

3. Would you have been better off with Dali surround speakers...?

I'm considering the Wharfedale 10 DFS with a 10.1 setup. How would they perform with the 10.1 or say the Bigger 10.3/10.7 ??

I would have to re-consider depending on your answer.

Thanks.

Me too, at first. But then I calculated. If the subwoofer I purchased, retailed for $649 + $59 shipping&handling + $57.6 city tax (a must in a lot of major cities in USA,) which comes to $765.6 (approximately Rs. 35,500) in USA.
NOW, let's factor in shipping to India. Mind you, the package weighs more than 80 lbs. I tried getting a quote for that from FedEx and it's running above $500. Let's say Audire has an account and they do it under $300 (Rs. 14500). That brings it to us in India fpr exactly Rs. 50000.
Then we need to pay customs. Customs duty on speakers is 36%. (Rs. 50000+ 18000 = Rs. 68000)
Last, but not the least. We have to factor in VAT (12.5%--> Rs. 68000 + Rs. 8500 = Rs. 76500 ) and then Octroi for me in Maharashtra (5.5%--> Rs. 76500+ Rs 4207.5 = Rs. 80707.5 ) and suddenly the amount of Rs. 55 odd k sounds like it's the offer of the century!
Sadly, it's not the offer of the century, but Audire's pricing is half decent.
OFF COURSE, being the Gujju that I am, I did get a discount. But not too much.

It's a good deal, this. I wish I could demo HSU horn speakers in India!

I still maintain that ProFX is overpriced and does NOT give the correct advice. They do have a tendency to 'milk the cash cow' if you know what I mean.

That, my friend, is the LAST part of the puzzle :eek:hyeah:

Hi frank,

just saw your thread. the next time you want a sub, there are other options for shipping!

I just purchased an amp and some cables and had it shipped via borderlinx.
total invoice value FOB borderlinx US amp+ cables was approx USD 850 and the combined wieght of the whole thing was 42.5kgs or 93+ pounds. it reached in 3 working days (the delivery guy had a hernia trying to carry it).

total cost of shipping plus duty - 32k

remember this was with express shipping and included thane octroi (which is bit more expensive than mumbai). also the cables were classified as computer parts and charged at a higher rate than audio, so there are further savings to be had.

once I recover from the financial shock of this, I plan to ship a sub from the US myself. rythmik & epik are on mylist and even a hsu ULS would concievably be cheaper than in india.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back