frankmehta goes Speaker shopping! A few honest auditions.

I was shell shocked looking at price list of HSU. My friend the package deal

ULS 15 with 5 horn speaker and one centre speaker itself is 1700$ and odd.
The price list from audire looks exorbitant

Please tell me now why want to blame Profx and other guys around, if you are typically gujju looking for VFM

Byw what's your front speakers.

Thanks
Venkat

I was shell shocked looking at price list of HSU.

The price list from audire looks exorbitant

Me too, at first. But then I calculated. If the subwoofer I purchased, retailed for $649 + $59 shipping&handling + $57.6 city tax (a must in a lot of major cities in USA,) which comes to $765.6 (approximately Rs. 35,500) in USA.
NOW, let's factor in shipping to India. Mind you, the package weighs more than 80 lbs. I tried getting a quote for that from FedEx and it's running above $500. Let's say Audire has an account and they do it under $300 (Rs. 14500). That brings it to us in India fpr exactly Rs. 50000.
Then we need to pay customs. Customs duty on speakers is 36%. (Rs. 50000+ 18000 = Rs. 68000)
Last, but not the least. We have to factor in VAT (12.5%--> Rs. 68000 + Rs. 8500 = Rs. 76500 ) and then Octroi for me in Maharashtra (5.5%--> Rs. 76500+ Rs 4207.5 = Rs. 80707.5 ) and suddenly the amount of Rs. 55 odd k sounds like it's the offer of the century!
Sadly, it's not the offer of the century, but Audire's pricing is half decent.
OFF COURSE, being the Gujju that I am, I did get a discount. But not too much.

ULS 15 with 5 horn speaker and one centre speaker itself is 1700$ and odd.

It's a good deal, this. I wish I could demo HSU horn speakers in India!
Please tell me now why want to blame Profx and other guys around, if you are typically gujju looking for VFM
I still maintain that ProFX is overpriced and does NOT give the correct advice. They do have a tendency to 'milk the cash cow' if you know what I mean.

Byw what's your front speakers.

That, my friend, is the LAST part of the puzzle :eek:hyeah:

Hi Frank
For RCA cables wait for some suggestions better then MX
You can surely get better cables at a decent price.

There is firm called "PRO-MEDIA" at Laxmi Indl. Estate. They can make custom a size RCA cable for you. They use Draka cables and Neutrik connectors but they are of Taiwan make. Still decent for the price

A few photos of the MASSIVE sub when it came home. Note the photo of the sub WRT to my 32 inch Samsung LCD. It's HUGE!!!!!!!

Also, bought a few bluray discs to test the RUMBLE of the HSU and the finesse of the 'other' speakers.
Of special note is the Dark Knight Limited Edition Set. MY, oh MY! That's ONE beautiful looking limited edition Blu-ray pack! Have a look. Thus, I am NOW set to enjoy this system. Question is: WHEN???????

A couple of weeks and my house will be COMPLETELY ready for a demo AND a dekko!
The Stuff will be installed by the end of next week but there's a little bit of painting etc remaining. Hence the delay.
Anyways,
here's the BIG news.

THE HSU VTF 2 MK3 IS NOW IN THE HOUSE. FEDEX JUST DROPPED IT OFF.

BY GOD. IT'S HUMONGGGGGOUS!

Thank you friend for your great posts,your writing skill is really excellent but still I could not come to conclusion whether you are an honest person or not.In some other site you have posted on 15th August 2010, 21:16

"Anyways here's the final setup:
Denon AVR1910 at the helm
*** floorstanders to do the singing in front
*** center channel to speak for the moviestars
Wharfedale Diamond 10.FS Bipolar Surrounds to do the backup vocals
HSU Research VTF 2 MK3 Subwoofer to do the floor shaking stuff
The Wires used are the Sommer NYFAZ Interior Cabling that does a stellar job at being hidden in walls but serves decent audiophile quality.

The subwoofer arrives on Tuesday, the floorstanders and center channel on Thursday.
The Amp and Surrounds are already here."

But hear in this site you are telling us yesterday (19/08/2010,02:04 PM ) only you received the subwoofer.I don't want to break the suspense abruptly and let you allow in your own flow I have placed *** instead of speakers you have mentioned there.

Last edited:
FedEx: Delivery Exception.

WRONG address.

Delay of 2 days. Small for some, but felt like 2 years for me. Finally they delivered the subwoofer yesterday after repeated phone calls.

PS: Thanks for keeping the speakers a secret.
But you just blurted they are floorstanders. :mad:

Rajuwaste

Whats making you think that Frank is not an honest person?

He is not selling anything to anyone and some dates here and there and that too of the arrival date of the components is not a big deal

Still a secret. Mind you, they were the best I could buy in my budget. So don't expect miracles. But it's none from the previous list I auditioned ;-)

@rikhav: Please give me details about ProMedia. I also have one more person who actually makes these RCA's. I shall ask him too.

Frank, I think you would come across many at LT road who would make a custom size RCA interconnect for you using decent cables and connectors. On being Spectra Cables

The contact details of Promedia are

31-R, Laxmi Industrial Estate, New Link Road Andheri (West) Mumbai 400053
Tel: 91- 22 6702 1711, 91-22 2635 4891. Fax: 91- 22 6702 1714, 91-22 2635 4819

Talk to Saif and give my name. I am not sure if he would still remember me or not. :)

But for interconnect it wont be a problem. They did not sell speaker cable to a friend saying they only sell in reels

I respect you as Senior member of other forum. Please dont go gaga over prices you have put up.
I have picked up Denon 2310 itself little above 5k that too last year compared to your 1910.

By the way how long did you audition your speakers for, Dont you think it will be on brighter side when mated with Denmark

In my opinion Denon 4310 sounds more softer because of burr brown DAC and it also plays FLAC files from USB stick.

Think about it and will have an excellent combo of items for both music and movies.

Gujju's may seek value for money. Never underestimate Tams and Bengalis when it comes to price and spending :yahoo:.

Yup, due to rajuwaste and your own confessions on the other forum, your speakers are floorstanders starting with D.

And it is not Dynaudio, the brand close to my heart.

thanks

Its all a perception on who thinks has got the most VFM, be it any product for that matter! & defenitely not got to do with any nation or religion or state! So take it easy folks...Its Franks decision to buy what he considers the best...It would be the same for any individual here who is spending a good amount i guess!!!

frannkmehta
i have the same fs that you are finally going for. i will be looking forward to your impressions on how it fits with the hsu, i am considering hsu too afterall

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

great - great - great -:clapping:

wow- amazing - absolutely Jupiter!-

you lucky man you!

knock your socks off ~!:clapping:

I was missing Suri. Here i find him, in full flow.:yahoo::yahoo::clapping::clapping:

I have picked up Denon 2310 itself little above 5k that too last year compared to your 1910.
Have I mentioned prices in this thread anywhere?? I am sorry if it offended anyone.

By the way how long did you audition your speakers for, Dont you think it will be on brighter side when mated with Denmark
I auditioned those speakers with my very amplifier. For music as well movies. The key to this combination is clever speaker placement. And EQ on flat. Forget the brightness, the DETAIL from this combination is KICKASS!

In my opinion Denon 4310 sounds more softer because of burr brown DAC and it also plays FLAC files from USB stick.
I agree, sir, but then a man must draw a line somewhere. LOL. I didn't think I was justified spending over a lac on an AV receiver.
Think about it and will have an excellent combo of items for both music and movies.
I auditioned a lot of speakers. Some were better than the ones I chose for music. Some were better than the ones I finally chose for movies.
But I didn't find speakers that did movies AS well as music with as much elan as the ones I bought.

Yup, due to rajuwaste and your own confessions on the other forum, your speakers are floorstanders starting with D.

And it is not Dynaudio, the brand close to my heart.

thanks

Hahaha. I know, Dynaudios were part of the scheme of things, but then I realized that I would be better off buying the MID level speaker from the other brand from Denmark, than buy entry level stuff from Dynaudio.
By the way, Dynaudios need a LOT of power. I think 90w to each Dynaudio FS/BS would not be doing it a very good favour.

Its all a perception on who thinks has got the most VFM, be it any product for that matter! & defenitely not got to do with any nation or religion or state! So take it easy folks...Its Franks decision to buy what he considers the best...It would be the same for any individual here who is spending a good amount i guess!!!
I have bought THE BEST I could afford this time. Stretched my budget quite a bit :-(
But spent more because I knew I wouldn't be upgrading/expanding anytime soon. So it's a once and for all spend.

frannkmehta
i have the same fs that you are finally going for. i will be looking forward to
your impressions on how it fits with the hsu, i am considering hsu too afterall
I am going to experience the same in a week or so. Maybe more, maybe less. Depends on when the painting in my hall gets over.

Dali's eh??? Which one of the Dali Series Frank??? :rolleyes:

There is Nothing Surreal about DALI

DALI, Danish Audiophile Loudspeaker Industries, grew out of Scandinavia's leading audio retail chain in 1983, based on the observation that customers often requested a combinations of size, shape, performance and price that existing brands could not offer. We committed ourselves fully to the task of creating loudspeakers with outstanding performance and natural sound at competitive prices.

Brimming with confidence and inspired by a firm belief that it would be possible to create a unique DALI sonic identity that focused on musical realism and sound integrity, we set out to redefine the reproduction of sound.

Now, with more than 25 years of experience and global recognition, we can proudly say we've taken a stance on sound that has advanced the state of the art, inspiring music and cinema lovers and challenging the competition to catch up.

Today, DALI offers an exciting range of speakers to suit every taste from the cost-conscious CONCEPT series to the ultimate performance speaker the MEGALINE. With more than one million satisfied DALI owners around the world, we bring music and film to life in the home, giving proud DALI owners a more honest, nuanced and richly detailed listening experience.
Music is Our Objective - Technology the Means

DALI speakers are characterized by sublime quality and an engaging sound experience across a wide area in any room.

A key contributing factor to DALI's superiority is exclusive DALI driver units designed from scratch by our engineers in close collaboration with experts from the world's leading driver manufacturers. With our unique driver technologies we are able to design and build speaker systems that makes it possible for listeners to hear their favorite music exactly as the artists intended. It gives us great satisfaction to breathe life into recorded music and create a credible illusion of being there in tribute to the performers and out of respect for the audience.

However, creating that great authentic DALI sound demands so much more than a passion for music. Constant research in the acoustic sciences, development of new technologies and empowerment of our employees as well as monitoring customer feedback is our recipe. Our commitment to excellence and honest reproduction shines through in every DALI loudspeaker.

In Admiration of Music

A Factory Tour of Dali

YouTube - Dali Hi End Loudspeakers

Frank,
Thanks for the Dali Factory Tour, but you still haven't revealed the Series/Model of the Dali's you have gone for....

Frank,
Thanks for the Dali Factory Tour, but you still haven't revealed the Series/Model of the Dali's you have gone for....

Frank, stop the drilling. These guys are yelling in pain.

I quote Frank from other forum :

Anyways here's the final setup:
Denon AVR1910 at the helm
Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders to do the singing in front
Dali Concept center channel to speak for the moviestars
Wharfedale Diamond 10.FS Bipolar Surrounds to do the backup vocals
HSU Research VTF 2 MK3 Subwoofer to do the floor shaking stuff
The Wires used are the Sommer NYFAZ Interior Cabling that does a stellar job at being hidden in walls but serves decent audiophile quality.

Sorry, Frank , had to let the cat out ; when u urself ar taking them on a Factory tour of Dali :eek:hyeah:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back