frankmehta goes Speaker shopping! A few honest auditions.

frankmehta

Hello everyone! Today was a very eventful long day for me, spanning 4 different parts of the city, and more than 23 speakers from 15 different speaker have been tried by me.
Can't write about EVERY trial here.
But here's what I used for a demo:
My burnt A-CD with FLAC versions of the following songs:
1. Dire Straits: Private Investigations, Love over Gold, So Far Away, Money for Nothing: Basically the WHOLE album: Sultans of Swing

2. I hate Luv Stories: Bin Tere

3. Hold My hand: Hootie and the blowfish

4. Avratz: Infected mushroom.

5. For movie viewing: Dark Knight bluray bank heist scene

Coming to the speakers, all of them were floor standers (All these in 5.1 form with matching centre channels) save for one satellite system.
Here are the brands with the speakers listed underneath (not in any order of preference)

1. PSB:
Image series with a NAD amp (dont ask me model nos)

2. Dali
Dali Concept. Dali Lektor. with a Denon 1910

3. Monitor Audio
Monitor Audio M series. Monitor Audio RX8 with a Denon 1910

4. Definitive Technology
DefTech ProMonitor1000. DefTech BP7006. DefTech SuperCube 1 with a Denon 2310

5.Mordaunt Short
Mordaunt Short Aviano series. with a Yamaha 3800 RX-V3800 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

6. Polk
Polk Tsi series. with a Denon 4310

7. KEF
KEF IQ90 with a Denon 4310

Subs: Polk DSW Pro 600, PSW110, Velodyne 10incher (model no. not visible but it had an LED indicator which showed different settings on the screen) DefTech SuperCube 1. DefTech Pro 1000.

Also heard the Mirage Omnisat V2FS and the Energy RC70 with a Marantz 6003. The Mirage MM8 subwoofer was sexxxx. But superpriced. The Omnisat was ALL C*** and NO TALK. While the Energy was good, but made one feel short changed paying so much for a speaker that sounds good, but doesn't deserve northwards of a LAC. I felt they were KILLER till I heard the MS, KEF and Dali Towers!

Also heard a few systems like the Pioneer Todoroki (which is good for the price) and the Denon DHT390. Jamo C series I have heard before, and also Wharfedale Diamonds. Sonodyne mid level system too. All are average to my ears.

I am running short of time, so let me summarize about the speakers I might be considering. THE REST, I can talk about, if anyone asks questions.
Here's a nutshell. Details later.

Testing Procedure: Heard ONLY the towers first, in STEREO DIRECT MODE with FLAT EQ and subwoofers OFF.
Then, a movie disc was put in and the rest of the speakers were turned on.

Loved the Dali Lektor to bits.
Fell in love with the KEF and MS too, but both had their issues. The KEF was a tad brighter than expected (nothing outlandish, but difficult to listen to music for more than a few minutes without appreciating the excessive treble levels)
The MS was JUST about to win (and might just) over the current favourite, the Lektor, since the mids have to be heard to be believed. The almost audiophile quality drivers kick HARD and are perfect for music of all types. But alas, they are not great while watching movies. Lack of 'body' in vocals was observed (read: the KILLER punch like the Dali system) while using them for movies.
The Monitor M series was average, The Polk CRAP and the DefTech BP7006 left me disappointed. The ProMonitor1000 impressed me quite a bit with it's unique driver design and positioning, and surprised me with it's almost audiophile quality music output. BUT i WANT a set of floorstanders. Hence the slight hesitation.
The MA sub, Dali Sub, MS Sub and the Polk subs were average. Nothing great. The DefTech SuperCube 2 took my breath away. So did the Polk 600, but both are overpriced. Still within the budget.

So here's a roundup of the probables.
Front: Dali Lektor, Mordaunt Short Aviano and the KEF IQ90
Sub: DEfTech SuperCube 2, PSB 5i and the Polk DSW Pro 600.

denom,
If he found the Kef bright and the Polk not good, it is unlikely he will like the Klipsch.

Im also planning for a pair soon trying to figure out auditions for a range my budget allows.

what were the prices like ?

Frank,

Why don't you check Klipsch Speakers too ???
I havent auditioned Klipsch speakers because, inspite of trying hard, it's difficult to find dealers for Klipsch in Mumbai. It's pretty stupid for the company to not even try hard to market good products.

denom,
If he found the Kef bright and the Polk not good, it is unlikely he will like the Klipsch.

Yes, Klipsch was maybe 10% brighter than I would have liked. Polk: Well, I thought their TSI series would be pleasurable. I was wrong. It was ultra bright. And the bass kicked hard, but not as hard as the KEFs.
In all the speakers I heard, the KEFs were the only ones to reach the lows in Avratz with authority. It was pure 'goosebump' material, the way the FS alone reached the lows and didn't even give up once!

What was the problem with the PSB Image series of speakers?
That's what I mean. There was no problem. They sounded prettttty neutral, but I dont remember falling in love with them or something. I demoed them in lakozy. I wouldn't mind going down today again and demoing them.
Besides, i would rather buy the mid end speakers of a brand if I like them, rather than the entry level speakers of a more premium brand. Not categorizing, but in this case, it is the case. The MS or Dali just sound way better than the PSB Image series. Period.

Im also planning for a pair soon trying to figure out auditions for a range my budget allows.

what were the prices like ?

Which pair, Audiodelic?

I am waiting for the quotes for MS, MA, Dali.
I havent requested for a quote from Lakozy.
I have got a quote for the KEF as follows.

## Particulars Model Qty Per Unit Amount

Kef 5.1 Speakers
1 Front Speakers iQ90 2 41500 83000
2 Center Speaker iQ60c 1 29900 29900
Polk Audio Speakers
3 Surround Speaker TSi100 2 5500 11000
4 Subwoofer DSW Pro500 1 25000 25000

Total 148900

Discounted Total 134010

I would like to know whether you considered Wharfedale in your list? You mentioned Morduant Short, can you please provide details of the speakers you auditioned.

Hi,

I'm also considering MS Aviano series. Could you pls let me know which speakers you auditioned? I listened to MS Aviano 6 & liked them very much

regards

Arvind

I auditioned the Aviano 6 too! Loved them totally! Even more than the Dali for music, now that you ask!
But overall, for movies and music, Dali rules, since the centre channel from the MS is a little short of the thrill you might expect while watching a movie!

IBesides, i would rather buy the mid end speakers of a brand if I like them, rather than the entry level speakers of a more premium brand. Not categorizing, but in this case, it is the case. The MS or Dali just sound way better than the PSB Image series. Period.

Which pair, Audiodelic?

as far as i remember you said you had auditioned the Alpha series in lakozy
the Alpha is the entry level series

the Image series is the series above

Ummm, I am now confused. I am going to find out right now, at about 430 to Lakozy today.

PS: thanks for all the help that day brother.

edit

Also at 83000 the kefs dont seem too overpriced ( which is how i ususally imagine kef)

how much are the MS avianos?

Also which Lektor did you hear?
if its this (since youve been auditioning only floorstanders)
DALI speakers and products. Find the best loudspeakers in the world
and youre getting it for 54k as you said
its a really fine deal
you shouldnt let it go

i was always under the assuption that the lektor3 probably costs 50k!

The KEF is a little bright. You should try listening to the Aviano 6.
I heard the Lektor 6. Which is what he has mentioned.
I am now mulling going slightly upwards and getting the Ikon 6.
Going to demo it on Monday at CST.

JUST got the quote:

Dali
Lektor 6 (Front
Speakers)60,000

Dali
Concept
LCR
(Centre
Speaker)

Dali
Concept
(Rear
Speakers)

Dali
Concept
Sub
230V

Total 127,778
10%
Discount 12,778
Total 115,000

Hi! I use Paradigm Signature 6, centre c5 and and a Velodyne Ultra 1200 sub. I used to use Dali Ikon 6 and centre Dali vokal 2. Try them they are pretty good the studio series by Paradigm and also dont forget the B&W.

Last edited:
Frankmehta, good luck with auditions. Appreciate the passion with which you are hunting for speakers. If you dont mind do update these prices in the speaker prices thread too.

Frank,

Cinebels have the Klipsch speakers, they are bang opposite Sony centre in Bandra, in line with barista & subway if you know the area well. Pls do check them out as would like to hear your views on them.

Regards

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back