frankmehta goes Speaker shopping! A few honest auditions.

Frank, stop the drilling. These guys are yelling in pain.

I quote Frank from other forum :

Anyways here's the final setup:
Denon AVR1910 at the helm
Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders to do the singing in front
Dali Concept center channel to speak for the moviestars
Wharfedale Diamond 10.FS Bipolar Surrounds to do the backup vocals
HSU Research VTF 2 MK3 Subwoofer to do the floor shaking stuff
The Wires used are the Sommer NYFAZ Interior Cabling that does a stellar job at being hidden in walls but serves decent audiophile quality.

Sorry, Frank , had to let the cat out ; when u urself ar taking them on a Factory tour of Dali :eek:hyeah:

Spidey, Thanks!

Frank,
Inspite of your denials, You have yet again proved that all Dentist's are sadists, period!!!:mad:

This thread takes the first prize for taking so many forum members on a fairy tale ride bordering on titillation.

I read it initially but realised the ride part and stopped reading it. But it kept showing up in unread posts for so long that I opened it today morning to read it fully.

My feeling is like going on a blind date and at the end, finding her to be flat chested.:mad:

Lol captain.. Your analogies are too funny :) why flat chested sir? I bought the best i could afford. I don't think anything can beat the ikon when it comes to value.. Please explain. Or did i get something wrong?

Hi Frankmehta,

I'm sure you've chosen what you perceive to be the best for the buck.

It was more a 'tongue in cheek' comment considering the hype that somehow got created. Happy listening.

Rgds

Rajesh

Ok sir.. Actually didn't want to create hype. Just wanted to make things spicy. :)

I cant believe you actually went and bought ikon 6 out of all the speakers people recommended... I went auditioning a few months ago with a friend, auditioned tons of speakers from 30k-80k range. When we heard the ikon 6, we were looking at each other's faces, this was supposed to be a good speaker!!. its took us all of 15 seconds to reject that speaker, still heard the speakers for close to half an hour, just to make sure, tried a lot of music, but most of it sounded like crap... Asked the guy if the speaker was actually connected properly, he was using some odessey gear to play these. I think a big issue with these speakers will be to listen to it for a few hours and not have fatigue..

He eventually bought usher x-718. close contenders were 685, mezzo 2 and 6, be718 (cost factor!!) some epos model (cant remember).

Anyway to each his own. I hope you enjoy your speakers... hope you've got rest of the equipment to take care of the flaws of this speaker.

Correct.. Doors. To each his own. Not trying to defend the speakers here. But have noticed that the ikon series sounds like crap when out of the box. I had heard the ikon 1 straight out of the box and i absolutely HATED it. Run the same speakers in and they will play fabulously. I have seen the same with the ikon 6. :) also, a huge factor is toe in. Dali themselves recommend that the ikons need to be placed either toed out or straight. They make a huge difference.

When is the 'D' day of the setup frank? Where did u purchase the Dali's from?

Tomorrow. Or Thursday at the maximum. There is a pooja at my place on Friday. Hence the hurry to get the house ready before that. Painting et all. I don't want to mess up the speakers during painting, so taking it easy. But, before Friday, we should be having the hall entertainment system in place.

I cant believe you actually went and bought ikon 6 out of all the speakers people recommended... I went auditioning a few months ago with a friend, auditioned tons of speakers from 30k-80k range. When we heard the ikon 6, we were looking at each other's faces, this was supposed to be a good speaker!!. its took us all of 15 seconds to reject that speaker, still heard the speakers for close to half an hour, just to make sure, tried a lot of music, but most of it sounded like crap... Asked the guy if the speaker was actually connected properly, he was using some odessey gear to play these. I think a big issue with these speakers will be to listen to it for a few hours and not have fatigue..

He eventually bought usher x-718. close contenders were 685, mezzo 2 and 6, be718 (cost factor!!) some epos model (cant remember).

Anyway to each his own. I hope you enjoy your speakers... hope you've got rest of the equipment to take care of the flaws of this speaker.

Hai Doors666,

Whats the price quoted for B&W 685, and where did you audition them.

N.Murali

Delay of around 5 more days for the installation. The TV is up, but the speaker dealer shipped the wrong colour from his warehouse. Now, I am waiting for the final coat of paint to go up onto the wall and then setup the system.
Cheers guys.

Finally guys!!!!
FINALLY!!!
The system was powered up today. A lot of complication during the installation (thanks to the architect who designed my house) later, I was SUPER SUPER excited to hear the first notes playing from the system.
The speakers are ALL brand new, but it was astounding as to how good they could sound even out of the box.
The HSU subwoofer is FABULOUS. There are no words to explain the quality and the quantity of bass thrown out from it. Just, speechless! It's rocking a little bit, and the spikes are placed on a shiny floor, which makes it even worse. Will be getting a carpet/throw rug under the sub woofer soon. But WOW!!!

The Dali's are sounding super sweet already and the bass from the FS alone is becoming a little too much to handle. It's TIGHT and precise and has NO boom whatsoever. The speakers have been placed without TOE-IN in my hall, and there is no semblance of brightness. A little bit of sybillance, yes, but they are brand new and I should give them a little time to make themselves feel comfortable in their new surroundings.

The Dali Concept center is also a star. For this price, you can't touch the performance off this center speaker. I would have loved to go for the Vokal, but there was no money left. LOL.

The Wharfedale surrounds are the weak link. Insensitive, rarely firing buggers. Had to turn the rear satellites up by 3 db during the Dark Knight blu-ray (a disc I use to show off my system, especially the tunnel scene.)

today, the show-off was for Dad and Mom who were HIGHLY impressed. Dad said it was a good investment and was money well spent. Mom LOVED the music on the system. Really liked the overall experience.
Special thanks to Arun and Homiyar from Boomarang. CHEERS GUYs!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back