Front Floorstanding speakers for Denon X1400H AVR?

Make sure to have four speakers terminal at back of the speaker so that you can Bi-amp them with remaining channel of AVR. This will give you more power to front channels. Most of the time entry level avr stragle in big room , in-sensitive speakers or on high volume. Later on you will creave for power but your avr will not able to deliver it. Using sub will reduce the load on avr but it has its advantages and disadvantages.

Make sure to have four speakers terminal at back of the speaker so that you can Bi-amp them with remaining channel of AVR. This will give you more power to front channels. Most of the time entry level avr stragle in big room , in-sensitive speakers or on high volume. Later on you will creave for power but your avr will not able to deliver it. Using sub will reduce the load on avr but it has its advantages and disadvantages.

@rpmahale
With my PM5005(50W) + Wharfedale diamond 220 in hall I don't go beyond 2 o' clock position in Amp volume. That is the max volume I need and also good for my neighbors. Hall size is 21' x 12'. Listening distance is 10'.

Having this info, do you think X1400H won't have enough power to drive 3.0 channels? Please explain, I worry about this now. Do I need to BiAmp? Since I am almost leaning towards ELAC Debut B5.2 which does not support BiAmp.

Last edited:
Spoiler: AVR Newbie here.
Iam under the impression that the AVR has to be specifically Bi- amp capable by design. I'll gladly stand corrected. Cheers.

Dropped floor standing requirement since planning to add Sub woofer soon. I have narrowed down to Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 Bookshelf and center C5.2. How it matches with Denon x1400H? @MaSh @liverpool_for_life

In my opinion avoid Elac with a receiver. Amazing speakers, but good with a powerful stereo amp. With Denon check out Polk, Q Acoustics, Dali.

With my PM5005(50W) + Wharfedale diamond 220 in hall I don't go beyond 2 o' clock position in Amp volume. That is the max volume I need and also good for my neighbors. Hall size is 21' x 12'. Listening distance is 10'.

Having this info, do you think X1400H won't have enough power to drive 3.0 channels? Please explain, I worry about this now. Do I need to BiAmp? Since I am almost leaning towards ELAC Debut B5.2 which does not support BiAmp.

I am actually not clear why you need a receiver? If you are happy with your current setup, then why get a receiver just to add a center speaker? Are you facing connectivity issues between TV and Stereo amp? What outputs does your TV have? Do you use a DAC?

MaSh

In my opinion avoid Elac with a receiver. Amazing speakers, but good with a powerful stereo amp. With Denon check out Polk, Q Acoustics, Dali.

I am actually not clear why you need a receiver? If you are happy with your current setup, then why get a receiver just to add a center speaker? Are you facing connectivity issues between TV and Stereo amp? What outputs does your TV have? Do you use a DAC?

MaSh
Existing Stereo system is in a small room for projector and music. This new AVR 3.1 system is meant for TV in Hall.

Dali and Q acoustics are pricey for me. How about Wharfedale D330 tower with this AVR? I like my existing Wharfedale diamond 220 speaker.

Existing Stereo system is in a small room for projector and music. This new AVR 3.1 system is meant for TV in Hall.

Dali and Q acoustics are pricey for me. How about Wharfedale D330 tower with this AVR? I like my existing Wharfedale diamond 220 speaker.
Ah okay, got it

In that case, start with a 2.1 setup and add a center later if you feel the need for it along with rear surrounds to make it a 5.1. In 3.1 mode, you might miss out on rear surrounds signal.

Wharfedale D330 specs
Sensitivity (2.83v @ 1m)88dB
Peak Power Handling25-120W
Peak SPL100dB
Nominal Impedance8Ω compatible
Minimum Impedance4.1Ω

They are not very efficient at 88db and minimum impedance is 4ohm. X1400H can drive 4-16 ohm speakers. So yes you should have no issues. x1400h also supports Assignable amps, so you can biamp the Wharfedale speakers if you wish to.

MaSh

In 3.1 mode, you might miss out on rear surrounds signal.
AVR supposed to take care of routing surround track to one of 3.0 SPK, right? I can't cleanly run wiring for surround in rental house.

x1400h also supports Assignable amps, so you can biamp the Wharfedale speakers if you wish to.
Does it mean rear surround can be routed to front SPK if I connect rear surround out of amp to another terminal of front spk,?

AVR supposed to take care of routing surround track to one of 3.0 SPK, right? I can't cleanly run wiring for surround in rental house.

he he how can a helicopter flying behind be flying in front? Receiver will only split the center channel signal to Front speakers if there is No Center. But if there is nothing at the rear, then it will not be sent to any other channel.

Wiring is a pain that every member here without a dedicated room has to suffer. We have tuck them, pipe them, to keep them away from being seen as much as possible. But once setup properly, it all feels worth it, when you experience that immersive sound stage during a movie.

MaSh

he he how can a helicopter flying behind be flying in front? Receiver will only split the center channel signal to Front speakers if there is No Center. But if there is nothing at the rear, then it will not be sent to any other channel.

Wiring is a pain that every member here without a dedicated room has to suffer. We have tuck them, pipe them, to keep them away from being seen as much as possible. But once setup properly, it all feels worth it, when you experience that immersive sound stage during a movie.

MaSh
Awesome! Ignorance is not bliss :) I did not expect this. Good learning. Let me think over and plan for expansion later.

Your Denon AVR-x1400 is entry level seven channels avr ( 80w×2 )capable of Bi-amping front channels. As this receiver is low on power rating and you are just using 3 channels then you can use surround back channels to Bi-amp front channels. This will increase power to front channels and avr can easily drive the speakers to optimum spl level. For Bi-amping, your speakers and avr must have Bi-amping capability. Another method is to induct active subwoofer between avr and speakers so that low frequencies below cutoff will be handled by subwoofer and help to reduce load on avr. I have auditioned most of the speakers in your list .
Within the mentioned budget Pioneer FS52 is a great speakers but due to low sensitivity they need more power. These speakers have tight and agile bass with limited low end extension. These speakers are more detailed and lively sound. Build quality is good for what you pay. Center speakers is huge and eat lots of space .
Polk T50 is a warm sounding speaker more suited for music . They are easy on ears and can be listene for longer sessions. Build quality is average.
Bostan Acoustic A250 have warm and laid back sound signature. Sounds little flat with Denon avr than Marantz. Build quality is very good and again limited low end extension.
For above all speakers you need a subwoofer for powerful and fuller sound.
To me Whardale sounds better with Marantz than Denon.
Have not auditioned new Elac Debut series and WD 300 series .
More suggest speakers...
Polk S50 ( with little elevated budget)
Taga harmony Azure
Now within the mentioned budget you may look for better quality bookshelf speakers from Dali, Monitor audio, Q Acoustic, Paradigm etc. These speakers will definitely sound better than limited budget floor standing speakers. If you are comfortable with pre- owned speakers than you may float your request in Wanted section. Paradigm monitor 9, Dali Zenser 5 may be a good speakers .

Is it necessary to mention that AVR has to bi-amp capable. Denon AVR-X1400h can be assign for Bi-amplification mode.
Ha ha, yes my bad for not looking at the specs. Didn't mean that you would have posted without so. Newbies like me generally tend to miss the obvious and need to be prodded back into the herd. :D. Cheers.

I have narrowed down to Fyne Audio F302 and Wharfedale D330 after considering various factors. Please let me know your suggestion to select one.

Denon X1400H: 80 W + 80 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
Fyne Audio F302 Tower > Price 41K - 8 Ω, 90db, 40-180W
Wharfedale D330 Tower -> Price 35K - 4 Ω, 88db, 25-120W

I have narrowed down to Fyne Audio F302 and Wharfedale D330 after considering various factors. Please let me know your suggestion to select one.

I would say stay away from 4 Ω category for your Denon X1400 receiver.IMHO.

Wharfedale is 8ohms nominal, minimum is 4ohms. All speakers mention nominal impedance which varies with volume and frequency. Check the speaker spec I posted above.

MaSh

Wharfedale is 8ohms nominal, minimum is 4ohms. All speakers mention nominal impedance which varies with volume and frequency. Check the speaker spec I posted above.
MaSh

@MaSh Wharfedale spec mention 4ohms nominal and compatible with 8ohms :oops: Here is the impedance data and others from official site/manual. Any suggestion on your preference on paper at least.

With my simple knowledge in electronics I understood that impedance varies with frequency, how far this is critical to decide on finding matching AVR?

SpecificationWharfedale D330Fyne Audio F302
Nominal Impedance4Ω (Compatible 8Ω)
Minimum Impedance4.1Ω- not specified -
Sensitivity (2.83v @1m) 88dB90dB
Frequency response40Hz-20kHz (+/-3dB)36Hz-28kHz (-6dB typical in room)

@MaSh Wharfedale spec mention 4ohms nominal and compatible with 8ohms :oops: Here is the impedance data and others from official site/manual. Any suggestion on your preference on paper at least.

With my simple knowledge in electronics I understood that impedance varies with frequency, how far this is critical to decide on finding matching AVR?

SpecificationWharfedale D330Fyne Audio F302
Nominal Impedance4Ω (Compatible 8Ω)
Minimum Impedance4.1Ω- not specified -
Sensitivity (2.83v @1m) 88dB90dB
Frequency response40Hz-20kHz (+/-3dB)36Hz-28kHz (-6dB typical in room)
Personally I'd pick the wharfedale out of these two.

MaSh

Personally I'd pick the wharfedale out of these two.

MaSh
Thanks. Can you tell me why will you pick Wharfedale in spite of having 4ohms nominal impedance and lesser sensitivity than Fyne Audio? Note: nothing against wharfedale, my love my Diamond 220.

How about Polk S50?
Total Frequency Response : 33 Hz ? 40000 Hz
Max Sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter) : 89 dB
Impedance : Not mentioned.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back