Front panel buttons for Sony system

alok_student2000

Hi Friends,

I have two Sony systems- RG22 and GR444.

Now the issue with them is that their front panel buttons are malfunctioning. I opened them up and jumped their pins and it worked as intended.

So I suppose that replacing those buttons would resolve the malfunction issue. Is it a good idea to replace those buttons by my self? I have good practice of basic soldering and desoldering so soldering job should not be an issue. If yes then what kind of push buttons should I buy for replacement and what should be the cost per button? I live in Delhi.

I don't know which buttons are in the system.. I have not opened it yet.. yeah I have also guessed micro switches only..
sw130_large1.jpg

But don't know the exact type..

are they clickety (like mouse buttons) or soft touch (like keyboard?) if it the latter, it might be membrane keys, which might be a bit tough to replace

if they are the ones shown in the photo, it is easy to replace. to remove them, cut the four legs using a sharp cutter before desoldering. then heat the solder and remove the legs one by one. in this way, you can minimise damage to the PCB. procure the switches before commencing work. won't cost more than 10-20 bucks per switch I think. (I am out of this repair work for some 10 years!)

Yup they are the cliclick (mouse) type buttons.. Like most HiFi music systems have.. n 10-20 buks?? I was expecting somewhere like 2-3 Rs. a piece :p

I don't know which buttons are in the system.. I have not opened it yet.. yeah I have also guessed micro switches only..
sw130_large1.jpg

But don't know the exact type..

Hi, My uncle had the same issue many many years back on his Panasonic TV. In those days, these were not readily available. Happens with dust over the years. So I removed the metal plate from the 4 legs. You will have a small metallic contact disc inside. Just clean the surfaces of the contact disc and on the switch with some spirit. You will be good to go. Once you remove the plate, it might not fit as firmly as before - use a micro drop of glue if you wish.

NB: The contact disc is very thin and light. Very easy to loose it. Switch off the fan and keep a magnifying glass also handy. I lost 1 of 6. So I cut a small disc from a can and worked perfectly :eek:hyeah:

Fully agree with diesel_engine. It may be more prudent to fix new ones if they are so cheap rather than going through all the above - I had no choice back then.

You might find an exact match in the scrap electronic market where many front panels of tvs, vcrs. etc. are sold for a song. I use this market in Kolkata when I need to find parts for obsolete equipment. Here, the vendors sit on the footpath with all scavenged main boards, panels. etc.I am sure you will find a similar market in Delhi.

Hi Friends,, thanks everyone for their suggestions.. Today found similar designed buttons @Rs.1 a button at Local market. They did the job.

However While Soldering them to the Panel's PCB, a slim Lane got detached from the Board. Had to use a small wire to bypass the lane. Am I not good with soldering ot are these sony PCBs not that great durability??

You might find an exact match in the scrap electronic market where many front panels of tvs, vcrs. etc. are sold for a song. I use this market in Kolkata when I need to find parts for obsolete equipment. Here, the vendors sit on the footpath with all scavenged main boards, panels. etc.I am sure you will find a similar market in Delhi.

Fully relate to that. Equivalent of your market is our Ritchie street in Chennai, where, as a teen, I used to pick up scrap PCB's, de-solder what I wanted and built my first amp with TA2020 chips and other components. The only new things I bought were soldering lead and flux. Even now I can spend hours strolling around. :eek:hyeah:

This usually happens if you heat them too much. Check out soldering tutorials on YouTube to validate your technique

I vaguely remember the term "Tracking" used for it. Yes sir, alok's soldering rod is too hot - low watt maybe. How's your area - all safe i hope.

Fully relate to that. Equivalent of your market is our Ritchie street in Chennai, where, as a teen, I used to pick up scrap PCB's, de-solder what I wanted and built my first amp with TA2020 chips and other components. The only new things I bought were soldering lead and flux. Even now I can spend hours strolling around. :eek:hyeah:

Yes, these markets are a treasure trove for electronics buffs. Sometimes you find things here that you have been searching for over the entire planet and it's just lying there waiting for the right taker. In Kolkata it's the Madan Street area.

Back