Full range speaker thread.. dedicated post on frequency response and imaging of full range speakers

It would be nice if someone actually DIYed a speaker using one of those fancy Voxativs.
The voxativ field coil speakers cost 20,000+$ for a pair. I think no diyer will ever be able to afford that kind of money for his speaker project. Their website have provided even designs with them. So you need only carpentry skills to build them.

The voxativ field coil speakers cost 20,000+$ for a pair. I think no diyer will ever be able to afford that kind of money for his speaker project. Their website have provided even designs with them. So you need only carpentry skills to build them.

The thread is about full rangers and not DIY. Many enthusiasts in Far East countries buy Voxactiv drivers to make their own loudspeakers, so a market exists.
A stereophile Voxativ review shows it to have one of the best measured in room response midrange, with acceptable low frequency for most normal sized rooms.
I want to see how many full range manufacturers will actually have the courage to have their speakers measured. Before I get shot for suggesting measurements are all important, I am not saying that; I am simply stating a fact wrt full rangers and measurements.

I want to see how many full range manufacturers will actually have the courage to have their speakers measured. Before I get shot for suggesting measurements are all important, I am not saying that; I am simply stating a fact wrt full rangers and measurements.

I think that you have not seen any of my full range speaker diy built post till now, else you would not have made this bold statement. Period.

Thank you for starting this thread!
I am a die hard full-range person.

Here is the plan for the most amazing full-range speaker that you can diy:

Driver: Ahuja SK-12FRX
Enclosure: 18mm MDF
Dimensions: W x H x D: 56cms x 144cms x 91cms
Ports: 3nos, square
Port size: 10.2cms x 10.2cms x 10.2cms

The enclosure is braced inside at 1/3 and 2/3 height.

I know the enclosure is huge. But hey, if you want the quality of Tannoy Prestige Gold (or may be even better), then you got to make a sacrifice somewhere.

I have made 6-8 pairs of these, and sold all of them. Sorry, I don't have pictures.
I will soon be making another pair since there is a growing interest for stereo, in Kolhapur!!

Ahuja SK-12FRX with its company recommended enclorure sounds like crap. However, try simulating it in WinISD to understant its value. Its GOLD!

Dear Ravindra Desai, thank you for your contribution by revealing this cabinet design for the particular 12" driver.
Could you please tell further, regarding the inner specifications for this enclosure ? Thanks in advance.

The driver should be fit at which height on the baffle?
Which stuffing meterial to be used and how much?
The 3 ports: using pipe inside? How long the pipe inside?
The ports to be where from the bottom of the baffle?
Is the front baffle same thickness as of the other sides?
Any Transmission Line design inside?

Kindly let us know in detail. Thank you. Regards.
Sunder.

I made the statement because a reputed independent magazine has made the measurements. If you feel your diy is better, power to you. Please inform us when you will be showing the build in public domain. Quite sure it will be appreciated.

I made the statement because a reputed independent magazine has made the measurements. If you feel your diy is better, power to you. Please inform us when you will be showing the build in public domain. Quite sure it will be appreciated.
I am not at all in the rat race for competing with any international manufacturer or for that matter any domestic manufacturer too. I have never ever claimed that my diy is better than speaker A or speaker B. I do diy becuase its my passion to built and learn. I do not even intend to show them in public domain too. But at the same time if any FM are keen to listen and discover more about full range speakers, i welcome them for a listen. Thats one of the reason, i post objective measurements on the forum as for 99% of our members its difficult to come down and listen. The objective measurements can give them atleast some idea of what they could have expected if they are able to analyze the objective measurements. At least its better than just posting the speaker photo which is more of carpentry skills.

Dear Ravindra Desai, thank you for your contribution by revealing this cabinet design for the particular 12" driver.
Could you please tell further, regarding the inner specifications for this enclosure ? Thanks in advance.

The driver should be fit at which height on the baffle?
Which stuffing meterial to be used and how much?
The 3 ports: using pipe inside? How long the pipe inside?
The ports to be where from the bottom of the baffle?
Is the front baffle same thickness as of the other sides?
Any Transmission Line design inside?

Kindly let us know in detail. Thank you. Regards.
Sunder.

More design details are attached. The material is 18mm MDF. You can use Russian Birch if you want to polish/ finish it in wood-grain.
Either line the enclosure with 50mm/ 48Kg density glasswool on alternate sides (back, top and left) or just leave it. Do not use polyfill/ rockwooll or any other alternate material.

Don't say I didn't warn you about the size, but it produces quality sound that rivals the best loudspeaker systems and it does NOT need any helper woofer or tweeter.

Good luck!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• 12in Single Driver Fullrange.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 12in Single Driver Triple Port Enclosure.GIF
    12in Single Driver Triple Port Enclosure.GIF
    48.5 KB · Views: 136
More design details are attached. The material is 18mm MDF. You can use Russian Birch if you want to polish/ finish it in wood-grain.
Either line the enclosure with 50mm/ 48Kg density glasswool on alternate sides (back, top and left) or just leave it. Do not use polyfill/ rockwooll or any other alternate material.

Thank you very much for the diagram and the actual image. It 'll be very helpful.
Don't the ports need any tube inside? Are square holes enough?
Thank you,
Regards,
Sunder

Thank you very much for the diagram and the actual image. It 'll be very helpful.
Don't the ports need any tube inside? Are square holes enough?
Thank you,
Regards,
Sunder
those ports are 10.2Cm deep. So basically its a square tube that is 10.2cm wide x 10.2cm high x 10.2cm deep

Don't say I didn't warn you about the size, but it produces quality sound that rivals the best loudspeaker systems and it does NOT need any helper woofer or tweeter.

Good luck!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Sorry for sounding naive ravindra ji.

I am new to speaker design, however your diagram has been vastly helpful. Can you please telle what do we mean by 2.5cm recessed at the back?

Do we mean the back panel will be 2.5 cm inside the face edge ?

Regards.

Sorry for sounding naive ravindra ji.

I am new to speaker design, however your diagram has been vastly helpful. Can you please telle what do we mean by 2.5cm recessed at the back?

Do we mean the back panel will be 2.5 cm inside the face edge ?

Regards.

Yes. It has got nothing to do with the actual design but helps in carrying the enclosure which otherwise would be very inconvenient to do.
I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ravindra.

That was very helpful. I have been using component speakers from 90's eras that came with hifi systems, i realised they are very inefficient. I am impressed by a local vendor in my area taking strides in the hifivision forums. I gotta try it!

I knows its almost 2 years old thread....Inspired by this thread and other AHUJA SK12FRX popular threads), ordered Ahuja SK12FRX from infernocart .com with shipping 3.9k (Qty-2). I have not done any DIY (except SS-Preamp), I am planning to use it on mud pot (trying to remember old child hood days). Thanks to all Gurus, will ping back if I need any tuning.

I knows its almost 2 years old thread....Inspired by this thread and other AHUJA SK12FRX popular threads), ordered Ahuja SK12FRX from infernocart .com with shipping 3.9k (Qty-2). I have not done any DIY (except SS-Preamp), I am planning to use it on mud pot (trying to remember old child hood days). Thanks to all Gurus, will ping back if I need any tuning.
good luck, keep us posted on the progress :)

now that this thread has been revived, I have 3 questions to the experts:

1. Can this Ahuja SK12FRX driver be used for HT duty, if I have sub to handle the lows?
2. Is there a possibility to match them with the Fountek NeoCD3.5H Ribbon tweeter for >10KHz+ duty?
3. If the above two are possible, can a cabinet be made for the same with good WAF? :p

now that this thread has been revived, I have 3 questions to the experts:

1. Can this Ahuja SK12FRX driver be used for HT duty, if I have sub to handle the lows?
2. Is there a possibility to match them with the Fountek NeoCD3.5H Ribbon tweeter for >10KHz+ duty?
3. If the above two are possible, can a cabinet be made for the same with good WAF? :p
1. It can be used.
2. Tweeter sensitivity should be around 100db and it can be crossed around 5-6khz
3. Huge boxes are not practical. So I made 14"X14"x9" box and made it like an aperiodic enclosure, stuffing the whole box with polyfill and leaving a 50mm dia hole in the side of the box. Sealed box may give a huge bump near roll off. So aperiodic is better. It may roll off around 100-120hz and subs can take over.

Sk12frx is very good vfm, and worth trying. Works well for HT.

Having said that I moved on to other drivers though.... And FR drivers have their own limitations. Cone size and the frequency they can produce without cone breakup are interrelated.

Received the speakers today, the speakers feel pretty huge.. (for 4k landing price... )

Current setup: SB touch + topping tp20 + Ahuja-SK12FRX.

First impression:
Sorry I am novice in audiophile world...I get good chill sounds (may be audiophile word? High freq?), but not much/no bass( low freq?).

Well, It didnt blew away my mind. But not bad as well. I think it might need some burn-in time. Also may be I am using topping-tp 20 to drive it?

Have to tune one by one and check

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-234146_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-234146_WhatsApp.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20200921-234115_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-234115_WhatsApp.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 80
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back