Full range speaker thread.. dedicated post on frequency response and imaging of full range speakers

Received the speakers today, the speakers feel pretty huge.. (for 4k landing price... )

Current setup: SB touch + topping tp20 + Ahuja-SK12FRX.

First impression:
Sorry I am novice in audiophile world...I get good chill sounds (may be audiophile word? High freq?), but not much/no bass( low freq?).

Well, It didnt blew away my mind. But not bad as well. I think it might need some burn-in time. Also may be I am using topping-tp 20 to drive it?

Have to tune one by one and check
Yes. this driver requires 50-100+ hours of burn-in. Build some temp baffle using cardboard until you put it into a proper enclosure.

Hope it must have done the burning by now..how it behaves now?
Thanks to this thread... and other ahuja OB thread...

Budget stereo setup : (cannot complain, enjoying it)

usbdrive+rpi(LMS)-> SB touch -> topping tp20->ahuja sk12frx

Cannot complain, really enjoying it!!!
Mostly listening to ARR tamil songs 320kbps mp3

I still dont have cabinet, both speakers(OB)on top of earthen pot.. but sound has changed alot from day 1 till now. But feelslike small sweetpot area to listen, Bass has improved.

But if input is bad...output is bad as well.

If anyone has quality illayaraja 320KBps or Flac songs... love to have it..

Hello Friends,
Today i received the Ahuja SK12FR X speakers. I have hooked the speakers to the amplifier without box. The sound was very musical and mid and highs were very nice. Stereo imaging was also good. Thank you Mr.Ravindra desai and reviews of some other friends in this thread. After fitting in the box i have to check for bass.

Hello Friends,
Today i received the Ahuja SK12FR X speakers. I have hooked the speakers to the amplifier without box. The sound was very musical and mid and highs were very nice. Stereo imaging was also good. Thank you Mr.Ravindra desai and reviews of some other friends in this thread. After fitting in the box i have to check for bass.
What kind od box you are going for? I feel if we listen at sweetspot to listen its very good.. if you moved away from that place.. It felt like speaker used for political meetings.

I am using Allo revolution dac and usbridge signature powered by allo shanthi and Allo Volt+d amplifier. The ahuja have very clean and mids and highs. I have not yet enclosed in a box.

I am using Allo revolution dac and usbridge signature powered by allo shanthi and Allo Volt+d amplifier. The ahuja have very clean and mids and highs. I have not yet enclosed in a box.
Ohh looks like you are fan of Allo products.. Almost all are listed
Never seen any user reviews on revolution DAC..if you can please describe here or in a separate thread..

sure. No I am on transfer to other city. So moving to compact audio solution thats why. Sound quality also very good in allo products for the price.

Hello Friends,
Hi Vijay,

Did you get a chance to create box for ahuja speakers? Whats the dimension?

I added my HT sub to the below chain:

usbdrive+rpi(LMS)-> SB touch -> topping tp20->ahuja sk12frx + yamaha sub.

It sounds superb. But since OB on eartherned pot, not able to move it as required. Confused on the box for 4.2ft height box suggested by Mr.Ravindra desai or 12"×12"x9" by Mr.Naveen.

Please do share your experience with or without box.

Hi Vijay,

Did you get a chance to create box for ahuja speakers? Whats the dimension?

I added my HT sub to the below chain:

usbdrive+rpi(LMS)-> SB touch -> topping tp20->ahuja sk12frx + yamaha sub.

It sounds superb. But since OB on eartherned pot, not able to move it as required. Confused on the box for 4.2ft height box suggested by Mr.Ravindra desai or 12"×12"x9" by Mr.Naveen.

Please do share your experience with or without box.
Ideal size is different bro. I made it small to fit in a place available for me. In a small box it may roll of anywhere near 100-120hz. So sub is anyway needed. Ravindra sir's design may not need a sub (as far as I understand) Size and practicality is personal choise.

But some people said sk12frx performed lot better with good DAC and good amps. However there are always better drivers out there, there are always pros and cons of fr drivers.

I have. Dayton RS225 8 inch woofer. Ravindra mentions no rock/metal music suggested with the original design.Do folks think that adding 8inch for low end in the same cabinet is ok?

@
Hello Subcenter2009,

Thank you for starting this thread!
I am a die hard full-range person.

Here is the plan for the most amazing full-range speaker that you can diy:

Driver: Ahuja SK-12FRX
Enclosure: 18mm MDF
Dimensions: W x H x D: 56cms x 144cms x 91cms
Ports: 3nos, square
Port size: 10.2cms x 10.2cms x 10.2cms

The enclosure is braced inside at 1/3 and 2/3 height.

I know the enclosure is huge. But hey, if you want the quality of Tannoy Prestige Gold (or may be even better), then you got to make a sacrifice somewhere.

I have made 6-8 pairs of these, and sold all of them. Sorry, I don't have pictures.
I will soon be making another pair since there is a growing interest for stereo, in Kolhapur!!

Ahuja SK-12FRX with its company recommended enclorure sounds like crap. However, try simulating it in WinISD to understant its value. Its GOLD!

With the stated enclosure, the bass is tight, full that you can hear and feel. The mid-range will wow you. The treble is detailed and smooth.

Caution: If you listen to the above recommended speaker in the recommended enclosure, everything else will seem dull.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Sir,

From my understanding, the company ALSO provides speaker in an enclosure.

Does it have the same parameter as the one suggested by you does?

If yes, can we just buy those?

Go 2 of them just to "try"! Running them through winisd and testing it without baffle confirms what's been discussed here..
This needs a large box to get it's full potential
Mids and highs are it's strengths.
My way of approaching this is to create a sealed enclosure tuned to about 80Hz or might be higher, and addin a 12 sub to "patch" the low end. This might yield me a box which is 48HX13.5WX12D..

Hello Hari, Yogibear,

Thanks for your concerns about using simulators.

For my work, both, in electronics design and loudspeaker design, I use MS Excel. I do not 'depend' on PSpice or WinISD. Excel, is perhaps the best thing that MS has done for mankind!
My reference to WinISD was for all to get an idea of this build's capability at low end and why such large enclosure volume is required.

Long story short: I know what I am talking about when I posted this plan.

The Long story: Before posting an enclosure plan in public, I have ensured that I have built it my-self (not 1 but 8 pairs that I remember), tested it and found it able enough to share it with you all.
This plan is the best contribution I can make to this forum. I have not heard better Bass than from this build! Period!! Titanic- Track-1 will make your hair rise and you will have lumps in your stomach. Its not just about what you hear, but also about what you feel. How many sub-woofers, costing < Rs. 20,000/- can do that at <5W?

So go ahead and build it with confidence.

Following are some details about using a this full range build for audiophile listening:

1. The Ahuja SK-12FRX has a sensitivity of 97db!! So for home listening, the recommended amplifier is 5-20Wrms. That is all.
2. The speaker has a cloth surround. It will need a break-in period to perform to its full potential.
3. This build is NOT recommended for Rock and Heavy Metal type of listening.

Have fun!

Ravindra.
Sir, I have vintage Sansui 7070 tuner amplifier, 65 watt per channel RMS, how will be sound with 12 frx ? I listen Hindi film songs on vinyl records and audio cassettes.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back