Gaming PC to AVR - Hdmi Solution any good?

chetanmohanty

Hello, Members,

I am planning to run a long HDMI cable from my PC's GPU(GTX 1050Ti) to AVR (Denon x2600h). I would ideally want to run Plex content from desktop to AVR with HDR and Dolby TrueHD/atmos. Will this setup work? Will the PC be able to pass through HDr and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ?

Also if i want to just use my TV as a gaming monitor do i need to connect it to TV or the AVR?

Thanks

Yes it works. I have tried using a normal media player and running atmos content via my PC and it worked fine.
If you want your AVR to decode the audio for games as well then your first connection will work just fine, if you want to only use it as a display and use your PC audio output there are 3 ways you can go about it
i) Change the sound output device in the windows setting each time you want to use the onboard PC sound output
ii) There is an option to pass video even when AVR is switched off , you can configure the particular HDMI port you are using on AVR to do the same.
iii) HDMI cable from your GPU to the TV HDMI directly

Hello, Members,

I am planning to run a long HDMI cable from my PC's GPU(GTX 1050Ti) to AVR (Denon x2600h). I would ideally want to run Plex content from desktop to AVR with HDR and Dolby TrueHD/atmos. Will this setup work? Will the PC be able to pass through HDr and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ?

Also if i want to just use my TV as a gaming monitor do i need to connect it to TV or the AVR?

Thanks
I have my gaming PC connected to my AVR (Marantz SR6013 which is the sister concern of Denon) through HDMI and it works flawlessly so i dont foresee any problems that you'd face. In fact, that is my daily driver for music and movies. you can't get dolby atmos streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime through Windows and you'll require a Firestick 4K at the very least. Bluray/UHD movies with atmos content play just fine (so yes, the PC can pass it through).

Yes it works. I have tried using a normal media player and running atmos content via my PC and it worked fine.
If you want your AVR to decode the audio for games as well then your first connection will work just fine, if you want to only use it as a display and use your PC audio output there are 3 ways you can go about it
i) Change the sound output device in the windows setting each time you want to use the onboard PC sound output
ii) There is an option to pass video even when AVR is switched off , you can configure the particular HDMI port you are using on AVR to do the same.
great advice. the third option may not be too desirable and should be resorted to only in case of compatibility issues since on optiong fot the thrid oprtion, the optical audio out will have to be used for sending sound data to the AVR.

will the desktop Plex app be able to pas through HDR / Dolby atmos ?if not please suggest alternative . I have a huge collection of atmos content in a Plex server

I have my gaming PC connected to my AVR (Marantz SR6013 which is the sister concern of Denon) through HDMI and it works flawlessly so i dont foresee any problems that you'd face. In fact, that is my daily driver for music and movies. you can't get dolby atmos streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime through Windows and you'll require a Firestick 4K at the very least. Bluray/UHD movies with atmos content play just fine (so yes, the PC can pass it through).
Sorry correct me if I misunderstood you. You can passthrough Dolby Atmos through your PC. Just install the Dolby access from Windows store and follow instructions. You ll be able to decode Dolby atmos. HDR per se is different discussion. You need GTX 1050 series and plus to play HDR or Dolby vision as per Dolby's site.

Sorry correct me if I misunderstood you. You can passthrough Dolby Atmos through your PC. Just install the Dolby access from Windows store and follow instructions. You ll be able to decode Dolby atmos. HDR per se is different discussion. You need GTX 1050 series and plus to play HDR or Dolby vision as per Dolby's site.
Then am set .. I have a GTX 1050ti. Thanks a lot.

I have dolby access. Its moreof a limitation that Netflix and amazon prime has imposed on windows. You can search the list of devices which netflix supports for dolby atmos on their website. Thats the reason why i said that you can playback full dolby atmos movies from uhd/bluray through your PC but not prime video or netflix. I had to get a firestick 4k spefically for Atmos in movies.

I don't understand why that is hassle. Please check on Netflix site, it had mentioned any Windows 10 PC with Creators update and Dolby access can decode Dolby Atmos on Netflix. Also, since when do we have Dolby Atmos content Amazon Prime ?

I have dolby access. Its moreof a limitation that Netflix and amazon prime has imposed on windows. You can search the list of devices which netflix supports for dolby atmos on their website. Thats the reason why i said that you can playback full dolby atmos movies from uhd/bluray through your PC but not prime video or netflix. I had to get a firestick 4k spefically for Atmos in movies.
You are correct for Amazon Prime, but using the NetFlix app from the Windows store should allow you to output Atmos. I get DDP output perfectly (coz i do not have an Atmos avr)

To stream DDP 5.1 from Amazon, you need the Fire Stick... Windows app won't but stream DDP5. 1.

I'm also using the HDMI interface from PC to my SR 7013. But, Through HDMI you can't send display refresh rates over 60 Hz as you've got onyl HDMI 1.4 in your x2600H.

But, you can Bitstream whatever codec from PC to AVR that can decode.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back