Garrard 301 Oil Bearing - for restoration

Nice catch Joshua. I think now you have all three classic hifi turntables of all time. Congrats !
6) A top view of the motor. The speed selector knob is capoot.
I think original knob is a must. Search 'Garrard 301 lever' instead of knob in ebay. Right now there are few for sale on ebay UK. Ranging from rs. 800 to rs. 2000.
9) Below: The platter is the non-strobe type. It was originally painted black, but the paint is falling off (as shown on the left portion of the picture). I scrapped off all the black paint. Notice the rubber mat. The genius of the previous owner had glued it to the platter:lol: But after about 54 years, it has become brittle and is prime candidate for replacement.
Overtime the mat bottom becomes smooth, and the mat slips and causes noticeable speed drift. So probably the owner glued it to the platter. A good center weight would serve multiple purpose.
Being the third idler drive that I now have, and me being already neck-deep in unfinished projects, this is going to be a very longish-term project for me, to be done without hurry. The restoration will be part of the journey.
Three turntable restorations are indeed longish projects. See how do you find my following proposal...
The proposal is on mutual agreement. You give me garrard for restoration. I will return it to you fully restored. But mutual agreement will be between me and garrard, and if I and garrard agree than only I will return it :lol:.
Best Regards

Hi Joshua,

We have restored two oil bearing 301s. My man is an expert in restoring 301. One of the Garrard was in very bad condition. Any help needed, please call me. I can even arrange a full restoration if you can send it to Kottayam .

Any help needed, please call me. I can even arrange a full restoration if you can send it to Kottayam .

Thanks for the kind offer.

I will take up this restoration slowly. I have my plate full at this time. Top priority is to complete the B1 buffer, followed by F5 Turbo version 2 build. Turntables will have to take a back seat for now :).

There were a few rumors going around audio circles that Ajay Shirke, after purchasing SME and Loricraft (with the Garrad brand), was planning to reintroduce the Garrard 301 turntable. This also featured on the Garrard Wikipedia page until it mysteriously disappeared recently. Now a formal Garrard page has come up offering a 301. Nothing is mentioned about whether this a restored or refurbished model or a totally new model. Any thoughts or suggestions? https://garrardturntables.co.uk/

There were a few rumors going around audio circles that Ajay Shirke, after purchasing SME and Loricraft (with the Garrad brand), was planning to reintroduce the Garrard 301 turntable. This also featured on the Garrard Wikipedia page until it mysteriously disappeared recently. Now a formal Garrard page has come up offering a 301. Nothing is mentioned about whether this a restored or refurbished model or a totally new model. Any thoughts or suggestions? https://garrardturntables.co.uk/

Wow, this is news !! Vinyl and vintage turntables making a serious comeback.

This video from analog planet talks about the new Garrard. Please goto time 30:15 in the video.

As I read on diyAudio Brand New Garrard 301 is soon to be launched. Price is around Rs. 8.5 Lakhs.
Regards

I wrote to them out of curiosity, seems like they are continuing the loricraft re-furbishing business. Here is the reply:

Dear Reuben,

Thank you for your interest in Garrard.

The revival 301 (launched at Munich 2019) is a genuine original Garrard turntable re-built by the Garrard engineering team to exacting standards and from genuine parts.

We have created a unique turntable system with the meticulously re-built 301 housed in a solid walnut plinth with a sophisticated three point isolation system and coupled with the highly acclaimed SME M2-12R tonearm.

This is a highly exclusive product made to order in low volume.

Kind regards,

Elaine

Elaine Wratten
[email protected]

"sophisticated three point isolation system" looks interesting implementaion. Lets see when it is launched in detail.
Regards

"sophisticated three point isolation system" looks interesting implementaion. Lets see when it is launched in detail.
Regards

Hiten,
Your friend Nigel night have some insider scoops, I feel. He's usually very knowledgeable and well informed.

Joshua,
I am not that acquainted with him. We just exchanged ideas/thoughts on the open forum. He did appreciated my concept of tonearm. He I think developed motor for Garrard which has improved speed stability and lower noise. Lets wait for the launch. But at 8.5 lakhs dont you think it is 'little' expensive :p:).
Regards.

A little update to be factual. Stereophile article has editors note correction. The price is not fixed yet. LINK
Regards

I actually checked out a couple of youtube videos, it sounds amazing but again, we all know that there are so many variables in the chain from the record groove to the ear drum :)
17L is quite a lot even for an Indian upwardly mobile audiophile

Yes price is super high. From Graphic Designer perspective it looks beautiful one of the iconic equipment of yesteryears. Another good looking turntable is Goldring GL99.

Yes price is super high. From Graphic Designer perspective it looks beautiful one of the iconic equipment of yesteryears. Another good looking turntable is Goldring GL99.

So true.

To update this thread, I managed to get my 301 up and running only a month back. I will refurbish it in future and build a plinth for it.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back