Garrard 301 Restoration

viren bakhshi

A vinyl lover's dream:

This has been pending for almost 2 years. I got the Garrard 301 idler driven turntable that far back - the lack of a plinth and tonearm stymied me for quite a while. Finally, I dug in, and what follows is the result. The story is told in pictures, since they say it best.

The Garrard 301 naked, top and underside.
The solid sheesham plinth.
The Garrard 301 on the plinth.

Viren

Attachments

• garrard 301_1.jpg
    garrard 301_1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 284
  • garrard 301_4.jpg
    garrard 301_4.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
In continuation:

The Garrard 301 turntable with solid wood unipivot tonearm and Supex SD900 Super MC cartridge.
The Garrard 301 turntable with disassembled unipivot arm.
The Garrad 301 turntable at play.

Attachments

• garrard 301 with arm_2.jpg
    garrard 301 with arm_2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
A pretty antique piece ..... should have easily endured more "Delhi' summers than me!

Thanks for sharing.

And, how does it sound?

All I can say is WOW! Everything that has been said about this turntable is true. Music just bursts forth!

The unipivot arm musically works beautifully. Nothing in the music is held back - the rhythm, the drive, the clarity, the separation of instruments. However, it is finicky to use, especially its tendency to twist. But this is just the first iteration - more development of the arm will follow. It has proved its worth, though.

And I have to thank forum member Rajiv, for getting me started on the Garrard 301 playback system.

Regards,
Viren

Hey Viren, thanks a lot for Posting this !.

for all you Vinyl folks, how is exactly a Garrard (idler) different in presentation from a more tranditional TT like a rega or a Linn ?

Congrats Viren!! the tonearm looks superb! Good to hear the sound matches up to all that's written about it. Will call one day to hear more!

regards

Hey Viren, thanks a lot for Posting this !.

for all you Vinyl folks, how is exactly a Garrard (idler) different in presentation from a more tranditional TT like a rega or a Linn ?

Hi Arj,

From what I've read and the reason I got a Garrard is that these tables cos of the idler drive have superb torque moving the platter powerfully to counter the drag of the stylus on the record. More so, the superb power translates into superb dynamism, kick ass drive and a livelier sound. The belt drives are supposed to be tamer, though good at other qualities.

sixmoons had a good restoration project of one of these beauts running into quite a few detailed pages.

regards

Great work Viren Sir !
Why didn't you isolate tonearm from the Turntable Plinth ?
Have heard Garrard at friend's place. It does sound great.
Regards

Hi,

And I have to thank forum member Rajiv, for getting me started on the Garrard 301 playback system.

@Viren your welcome,I hope you enjoy the Garrard as much as I enjoy your products.

The unipivot arm musically works beautifully.

This is something that I have found too the Garrard (301,401) sounds best with unipivot arms.I had a Syrinx on the 301 and the music had a lot of ease and flow,compared to the Ittok/Garrard 301 combination. The SME 3009/3012 also work well with the 301.

The arm reminds me of the old Grado and Grace 714 wooden arms albeit a cruder version.Viren how are you adjusting tracking weight and cartridge alignment?

@Arj,the idler drives like the 301/401/Lenco have a grip and contol on the music that is addictive.They do PRAT thing in spades. The belt drives are a little more fluid sounding and airer. Both types can be very good,its six of one and half a dozen of the other. It's nice to have an example of each type. :D

That being said I like the Thorens TD124 ;) it's an idler drive TT with a twist.The motor drives a pulley via a belt and the pulley in turn drives the idler which turns the platter.This way the motor vibrations are isolated and not transfered to the idler/platter.

The TD124 has the grip and drive of the 301 along with the fluidity and airiness of the belt drives like the Linn.

Regards
Rajiv

And, how does it sound?

All I can say is WOW! Everything that has been said about this turntable is true. Music just bursts forth!

The unipivot arm musically works beautifully. Nothing in the music is held back - the rhythm, the drive, the clarity, the separation of instruments. However, it is finicky to use, especially its tendency to twist. But this is just the first iteration - more development of the arm will follow. It has proved its worth, though.

Regards,
Viren

Viren,

Congrats. Wonderful looking 301. Had a chance to buy one recently but did not want to add a 8th TT to my collection and also divert a substantial amount of time I had to spend in restoring it.

What are you going to do about VTF and VTA with Uni-pivot. Are you designing them in the next rev?

Cheers.

Hi,

The most intriguing part was the construction of the tonearm. That such a simple concept, the unipivot, works so well, and is so easy to implement, is amazing in itself.

This arm was made at home, with materials on hand. The arm material is teak, approx 12mm square with rounded edges, and length to come close to a 12" tonearm. The headshell was shaped from the armpiece itself, for a single point cartridge mount. That way the cartridge angle can be adjusted easily. Since the arm material is lossy in itself, absolute rigity is not a consideration here. The end where the counterweight sits was rounded and threaded to match threads within the counterweight body. This is another easy adjustment to dynamically balance the arm and apply tracking force to the cartridge. The counterweight is an aluminium piece cut from the counterweight of an old table lamp.

On selecting the cartridge, an old Supex SD900 Super, using its weight, the pivot point was determined, to give some adjustment with the given counterweight. A hole was drilled in the arm, at the pivot point, to a depth just above centerline of the arm. A small metal disc was embedded at the end of the hole. This was the support for the metal point of the unipivot.

That point was a simple ball point tip. Embedded in a wood support pillar, the height of which was determined to run the arm parallel to the record surface, with the selected cartridge. The position of the support pillar was to provide the proper arc, tracing the cartridge to the centre spindle of the turntable.

Balancing the tonearm showed the true character of the unipivot - a tendency to shift and flop the arm! Obviously, some additional support was required. I eventually put in some teflon sleeves in the hole in the arm, reducing the flop. This is one area where more thinking and experimentation is required!

Wiring from the cartridge to the RCA sockets is single conductor 30 gauge insulated winding wire, using old clips to attach to the cartridge pins. The wires are taped to the underside of the arm up to the pivot point.

The angle of the cartridge was set using a protractor. The tracking force was set to 1.8 grams using the Shure stylus gauge (by turning the counterweight).

Perform, the arm certainly does! The lossiness of the wood does not seem to be at all detrimental in recovering information from the record grooves. The 360 degree freedom of movement (not there yet in this arm!), and the high pressure point support is clearly showing its benefits.

The music is clear and lively. There is a solidity to the image which is captivating - as is said "more there there!" The best part is the resulting tone. Strings being reproduced with so much vibrancy and body. Brass with texture and bite. Piano is percussive and tonally rich. Voice projected with great realism. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Some credit ought to go to the cartridge too. The Supex is used and old - has been sitting with me for over 25 years! That it still works, and the cantilever support has not dried up, is amazing. I understand these cartridges were designed by the legendary Sugano. That's why they are tonally rich. No desire to change to anything else at all.

I'm going back to listen to some more LPs.

'Bye,
Viren

Hello Viren,

Congratulations on your 301 restoration project, and especially the fabrication of the arm.
As someone who's carried out a similar 301 restoration a year or so back, I can empathise with the effort you've put in, and also with the resultant enjoyment in that special 'idler wheel' magic.
Great plinth job, too.
Cheers!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back