Garrard 301 takes off

I agree with you stevie and arj, with turntable engineering is what makes the difference to SQ. But since Joshua was looking for an alternative I gave the address.

It's a good local option Hiten, worth comparing to see how it stacks up against the regulars.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear stevieboy,
You have given me an idea. I must also find a name for my Gerrard301. Pl suggest some name.

Forgot this. Hows this. GI Joe. Garrard Idler Joe. Gerald's brother who got drafted into military service in the war against the belties while Gerald was imprisoned in his box.

Gerald Comes To Town
3 chapters, 01 story

PROLOGUE

He strode into the room confidently. It was filled with acrylic heavyweights all descriptions. Smooth belt operators, all of them. But he had eyes only for her. He was an anachronism in a world that had clearly moved on, bold and manly, unabashedly vintage. He didnt engage in idle talk. He walked up to her, looked into her eyes, there were no elegant airs about him, in fact, was that industrial oil she detected on him?... Surely it couldnt be.Then he put his arm around her waist, snapped his fingers at the band and they kicked things up a notch with a steamy samba and he whisked her across the floor, twirling her around, throwing her into the air, spinning her on her heels, sweeping her off her feet... And then as suddenly as it began, the music stopped. He walked out of the room, leaving all the heavyweights with their belt jaws slack. She was flushed, her heart pounding, music throbbing through her bloodstream, it was then she knew she had danced her last staid waltz.

Gerald, had arrived.

CHAPTER ONE - GERALD
He had been locked up in a decrepit old wooden box for two years and now he wanted a mate. Youd be a little feisty and raring to go too if you were locked up for so long. I told him dont worry, Ive got just the bird for you. Shes slim, svelte, your country mate and shes got a knife edge that can melt butter. Is she wired for action? Gerald wanted to know. I said Well, shes a wild Card alright, with a great As. He wanted to know more about her bass. Tight? Gerald asked. Musical I said. That seemed to please him.

Unfortunately you know how women are. She took a month to get ready a little polish here, a head socket there, a new earth lug here you know how it goes. Then she was worried about her rear end. It seemed to be sagging a bit and no self respecting woman wants that. Even Pilates didnt seem to help any. So off went an order for a little rubber implant. Silicone is so pass dearies. And finally she was ready to meet Gerald.

CHAPTER TWO THE MEETING
Gerald meanwhile was getting ready. He very well couldnt invite her over to his old pad so I loaned him the dough and set him up in his own birch pad. A little pampering would do him good I figured after what hes been through so far, poor fella. Then he started getting a little demanding. Apparently he was a great reader and had read Pinocchio and wanted to be brought to life. I told him I could not turn him into a boy but I could make him a man and hey how bout a set of balls. Yeah they better not be squash-ed he said. Well lets start off with those and then Ill get you the latest sorbothane ones. That placated him. Then he was worried about being able to perform. So I poured a little oil over troubled waters and soothed him down and he was purring like a contented kitten in no time, although picturing a hunk like him purring like a kitten is a very disturbing picture, so dont imagine it. In due course, He, was ready for Her.

I did the necessary introductions between Gerald and Her. Now lets discreetly look into the distance while the union takes place. There, you can look now. OOOOOOOOH its a sight to see! Gerald all manly, simple, understated, with a sense of hidden strength emanating from him. Her, all sexy and slim gleaming alongside him, just waiting for her cue.

CHAPTER THREE THEY HIT IT OFF
The first dance was a slow one, Gerald set the pace, She followed. Then they found their Groove and there was no stopping them after that. They were the perfect partners, made for each other. Gerald setting the blistering pace, driving the rhythm along like one possessed, almost uncanny in his prescient ability to get into the musicians heads and anticipate their every phrase shift and move. He Became the drummer, boogied up and down the keyboard, burned up the fretboard and sang with a voice youd normally associate only with the siren like mermaids in fairytale books. Gerald gave it his all and whether you liked it or not, you were held spellbound, the rhythm alive and pulsing right in front of you.

She was the perfect foil for his drive. Relaxed but with a nose like a foxhound, she tracked the music up and down the dale, grooving along, breathing feminine charm into the tapestry of sound, encouraging you to relax, kick your shoes off and soak in the magic. She was seductive enough to make you forget your regular vocabulary. This was no pale imitation, no mere reproduction of an event recorded long back, no siree, this was the Real Thing.

Gerald

76e1b7dc.jpg

Her

2a1a76bf.jpg

Together

953b5680.jpg

Their pad

720cf666.jpg

that looks like the 3012? Could you post your impression of the sme vs the FR or any other tonearm on the garrard?

Hi,

Steven,it is the 3012.

The link below is a good read about tonearms for the Garrard 301/Thorens TD 124.

analogplayback1.htm

I have not tried as many tonearms but his findings mirror my own.

I have used/tried a Syrinx (unipivot) the Ittok and the SME 3009/3012 with the Garrard and prefer the sound of the tonearms with lossy bearings on the Garrard.

I am on the look out for a good Zeta for the Thorens.Hope to snag one soon fingers crossed.

Regards
Rajiv

Great writeup stevie, you sure know how to make reviews an interesting read.
Thanks & regards

Nice, very nice write up Steve. Your writing skill is superb. This shows the passion of you towards TT/ Music.

Hi,

Steven,it is the 3012.

The link below is a good read about tonearms for the Garrard 301/Thorens TD 124.

analogplayback1.htm

I have not tried as many tonearms but his findings mirror my own.

I have used/tried a Syrinx (unipivot) the Ittok and the SME 3009/3012 with the Garrard and prefer the sound of the tonearms with lossy bearings on the Garrard.

I am on the look out for a good Zeta for the Thorens.Hope to snag one soon fingers crossed.

Regards
Rajiv

loved this Quote :)
Listening to playback devices made more than half a century ago made me realize that technology has not advanced significantly and most claimed improvements through the years have been mostly sideways.

Great write-up. I could almost hear their tango:) You should apply for a full time job at Stereophile.

Thanks guys :)

Mills and Boon eh Gruby? I'll take your word for it :p :D

Rajiv,
Thanks, that post was more information than I bargained for! Have promptly saved it. By lossy bearings you include unipivots right?

Regards

Hey Guys,

You all are really making me soooo very homesick ( or should I say "301 sick"):sad::sad:. Have to wait another 3 months b4 I can see/hear His Majesty:sad:. Meanwhile collecting box load of vinyls for Him.

Thanx & brgds

Bhaskar

Last edited:
Hi Kuruvilajacob,

The denon 103 is a classic match. Affordable and musical. You can download protractors at Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable for free. The chpratz one has null points along a scale so you can align according to the published null points of the sme which you'll find here SME | Tonearm Mounting Distance and Alignment Information | Vinyl Engine

Regards

Dear Stevieboy,
I am unable to download from vinylengine these days. Have you tried to download recently?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back