Garrard 301 takes off

stevieboy

Gerald is playing! Yes he's got a name and I call him Gerald. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee :) zero adjustment, in a hurry eyeballed and ballparked the height, downforce, antiskate, even cart alignment I did not even use an alignment gauge no null points no azimuth. Just did it to see if it's playing ok and so far four songs of a side played without any distortion or any issues hehe much better method grin just slap everything together hehe. Tomorrows gonna be a hectic one so will get time to do a proper set up only late evening. LOVE IT! Ok make that an entire side without distortion without any setup GRIN I sure lucked into it!

Edit: one full lp without issues and half of another going on. Just realized I did not set pivot spindle distance either. This is the most hilarious set up I have ever heard of. Oh yeah aint leveled the tt either, all ballpark... darned if I can make any sense of it at all! But sure can't think of going back to my belt drive again the sound is heavenly and everything it's made out to be. I kept getting up to check if the speed was too fast cos of the sheer pace of the music its got drive and then some more! It sure as hell has presence. The project tt seems slothful by comparison even though it has a speed box to keep it up to speed. A full review tomorrow with pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gerald is playing! Yes he's got a name and I call him Gerald. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee :) zero adjustment, in a hurry eyeballed and ballparked the height, downforce, antiskate, even cart alignment I did not even use an alignment gauge no null points no azimuth. Just did it to see if it's playing ok and so far four songs of a side played without any distortion or any issues hehe much better method grin just slap everything together hehe.
Good to see Gerald doing his duty Stevie. Though I have protactor and have fiddled with alignments, my pioneer TT has overhang checker. So putting in cartridge is little simple. And being lazy also helps :lol:

I will name my Pioneer TT "Pintu" :D
Regards

Thanks guys :)

@iaudio, yes ole Gerald was in his box hibernating waiting for his first birchday party. I think he was giving the Project enough beltway to impress me but all that belt just ended up hanging the Project ;)

@hiten, LOVE the name :)

Do indulge me till tomorrow got a splitting headache from being out the whole day. Will post the review and pics tomorrow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@iaudio, yes ole Gerald was in his box hibernating waiting for his first birchday party. I think he was giving the Project enough beltway to impress me but all that belt just ended up hanging the Project ;)
hehe stevie, your posts are interesting as you spin around words which I find groovy, will be tracking your posts regularly.
Pardon me but couldn't help copy 'writing skill' of yours. :)
Regards

This is momentous, a result of TLC, and lots of diy. And it's good to know it's sounding good already even without lots of laptoppery like correct spindle distance, tonearm balancing, etc.

"Groovy baby" a la Austin Powers. X'mas came early this year. I was also spinning the 401 at about the same time. Err. When are you inviting us over?

@ Finyl,
Jan looks good as of now. Dec is too tight. We'll make an evening out of it, one Sunday or Saturday...

@Hiten,
Thanks for the kind words :) Though only a few topics get me interested enough to have a bit of fun to play around.

@Joshua,
Hows your plinth going? Finally got the one from Moldovia?

Regards

LOL...let me try. Gerald was idle-ing until sme long arm was fixed and then RPM (which read 9) was slowed down till the Project came to a halt....so the 301 could take off and celebrate his birchday ..... Never mind, I give up. You are natural Steve :lol:

Congrats Steve. When I visited your home, I could see it waiting for its re-birth. Now, it is on. So, you must be very happy. :eek:hyeah:

Have you got the Zu modified Denon Dl-103? Which tonearm are you using?
Please post pics..

LOL Santhosh, nice one indeed :D I can see the Singapore air and drooling at all that lovely gear over the weekend has got your creative juices flowing hehe :)

Amit,
I am not just happy, I am gobsmacked. (I've always wanted to use that word but never had the opportunity to until now GRIN). Living with a belt drive for a while before hearing the Garrard makes you appreciate the difference, you're more aware of what the belt drive lacks. I was talking to Viren the other day and he had the same mindframe I had. Both of us kept our Garrards for a while before setting them up. He was saying well I've already got a table that's good so yeah while everyone says Garrard this Garrard that, but you really don't believe things can get much better when you already have a good table. Then you set the Garrard up and boy there's just no denying what the 301 brings to the table. The Project will now be relegated to test duties for after I've cleaned my records, to take out any lurking nasties, and to play warped records and stuff like that.

As for the cart, will go for the Denon afterwards. I'm starting off with the Ortofon OM5e which was on the Project, and at hand, have ordered a decent cart, it should reach in a few weeks, so lets see how that chapter goes... Tonearm is the SME 3012 series II, with a provision in the motor board for the SME 3009 which will be the next rewire job to undertake.

Regards

Last edited:
Your are spot on Stevieboy. Its only when i heard the Garrard 301 at Virens place was i convinced to go after vinyl again. And now i am extremely happy that i did.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back