Geek Out DAC

wishihadtubes

After weeks and months of mis-steps by the folks at GH Labs, I finally received the Geek Out DAC at my office yesterday.
I had ordered a black Geek Out 450 but was told I would get a silver one as they had run out of black ones. (Problem for me as I hate the colour silver.) So imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found a black Geek Out 720 (which is a more powerful version).
Went home and hooked it up to my comp. Downloading, unzipping and installing the drivers for Windows was easy and the DAC showed up instantly on Foobar.
Pretty good sound from what I've heard in the past few hours with my Edifier HD850 headphones.

Attachments

• GO2.jpg
    GO2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 312
Have spent several hours listening to FLAC files in 16 an 24 bit, 44.1kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz through the Geek Out. Good stuff so far, especially enjoy the way the bass seems much firmer. Overall smooth sound, especially with high res files.
Have only a handful of DSD files but haven't been able to configure Foobar to play DSD without converting to PCM. Any one got tips?
This DAC makes even my ancient Philips SHP2000 headphones sing!
Detailed review later (when I can manage to make time out from my day job).

Just as I was getting round to putting together a write-up on the Geek Out for my blog, LH Labs has gone and issued a firmware update for the DAC/headphone amp. Though the update was meant to deal with a long-standing problem with its volume controls, it includes 2 filters for changing the sound. Not bad. One of the filters improves the sound considerably to my ears. Plus there's an increase in output levels. This investment is truly paying off.

In brief: If anything I like the Geek Out even more after the firmware update. The two new filters are a great way to rediscover my music library, although their effect is rather subtle. Also, I've finally got DSD files playing through both jRiver and Foobar.
As for hooking up the Geek Out with Android phones via OTG, that seems to be a no-can-do. Didn't work for me with either my old Samsung Galaxy S3 or my Xperia Z1. However, folks are reporting on the LH Labs forums that the Geek Out does work with iPhones and with some Android phones/tablets by using a USB Y cable.

In brief: If anything I like the Geek Out even more after the firmware update. The two new filters are a great way to rediscover my music library, although their effect is rather subtle. Also, I've finally got DSD files playing through both jRiver and Foobar.
As for hooking up the Geek Out with Android phones via OTG, that seems to be a no-can-do. Didn't work for me with either my old Samsung Galaxy S3 or my Xperia Z1. However, folks are reporting on the LH Labs forums that the Geek Out does work with iPhones and with some Android phones/tablets by using a USB Y cable.

Have you tried with the USB Audio Player app? It is a paid app but there's a trial version on their website( search n see app description in Play store for link).

Could you please try once you get time?

I know of the USB Audio Player Pro app but problem is Google Play refuses to accept my debit card and I currently don't have a credit card. I have been wanting to download this app to try connecting my phone to a DAC. Will see what I can do.

I know of the USB Audio Player Pro app but problem is Google Play refuses to accept my debit card and I currently don't have a credit card. I have been wanting to download this app to try connecting my phone to a DAC. Will see what I can do.

Go to the Google Play store - Open the USB Audio Player page - Click on Read More - There is a link to trial version of the software which lets you play a few songs.

@79$ ,Schiit Fulla...

I heard it here first! :)

I've seen the pic on Headfi, without realising what it is: another piece of schiit ;)

OK, I'm convinced: Schiit is not just a flavour-of-the-month headfi hypefest, but a serious company making serious kit, run by serious engineers --- who also have a genuine sense of humour. And who are keeping their prices down. So I'm going all the way and setting my sights on a Gungnir :eek:hyeah:

I don't need a portable DAC, and I have some doubts (maybe rational, maybe not, maybe its just the ODAC) about USB-powered DACs. I'd quite like, now, to buy a DAC-for-life.

Having said that, the Fulla, and even the Modi, come within my just-for-fun budget, but the Geek Out does not. None the less,

wishihadtubes said:
For something that cost me just $199 and plays FLAC files at various bit depths and DSD files seamlessly and with no fuss and no dropouts and sounds pretty darned good, my answer is: YES.

Thanks. I have to the whole Schiit conclusion mentioned only over the past couple of days.

Of course, minds can change....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back