Genelec 8351 - Revolutionary speaker - Must see/hear for active speaker lovers

It's a very interesting concept. Check with Santy. He is using 7 Genelac active speakers in his theater, although those are front firing, 2 way system.

Last edited:
It's a very interesting concept. Check with Santy. He is using 7 Genelac active speakers in his theater, although those are front firing, 2 way system.

These are very unique, also priced very high, wish to hear how they sound.

I had read about it earlier. Quite unique in design.
They have put in a DAC and DSP as they have in their higher end models of 8000 series.
But if its $5k, its too expensive!

Studio monitors are quite expensive. From browsing, I like the look of Barefoot; $10,000 a pair. I also really feel I'd love to have a pair of the smallest Geithain monitors on my desk: UK3,000 aprox.

:eek:

The 8351 are 10000$ a pair. Add the additional cost landed India to that.

Stay tuned for an in depth report on them coming up in the future

:cool:

Last edited:
I had read about it earlier. Quite unique in design.
They have put in a DAC and DSP as they have in their higher end models of 8000 series.
But if its $5k, its too expensive!

Agree with you, 5k for home is expensive

Studio monitors are quite expensive. From browsing, I like the look of Barefoot; $10,000 a pair. I also really feel I'd love to have a pair of the smallest Geithain monitors on my desk: UK3,000 aprox.

hey, my thoughts exactly, 2k is a sweet spot, stretched to 3k, from home use of studio monitors, otherwise better off investing money where you get returns :), but you get very diminutive monitors from big players in this field at this price point.

The 8351 are 10000$ a pair. Add the additional cost landed India to that.

Stay tuned for an in depth report on them coming up in the future

:cool:

Once things land in India I think you can weigh them against gold :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:

I've also been intrigued by Opal Event. Hugely over-specced and over-engineered - or so it looks - from the specs and description.

If it were so easy to DIY these speakers, every tom, dick & harry would have done so ages ago & companies like Genelec would have died years AGO!!!

Genelec has access to a huge number of talented engineers who collectively put their brains together to come out with a speaker like the 8351. It took them 2 years to bring out the 8351 from designing from scratch to prototype stage. Pls do give these boffins some credit!

If you are interested in the design so much, I would request you to pls be in Mumbai when the Genelec Engineers will be holding a seminar especially to discuss the design aspect of the 8351 with cutouts & parts to showcase their work, which will be held sometime next year. I will keep you posted on the dates as & when they confirm the same.

Infact this invitation is open to all who are genuinely interested to learn more about these speakers.

Thank you denom... I just might come to that!

Browsing Gearslutz, there are a number of mixed feelings about Genelec in the studio, probably more mixed than several of the other big-name active monitor manufacturers. Well, I'm not a music pro, and, from what I have heard I am certain I could be blissfully happy with a pair.

This is wildly theoretical, because I doubt I'll ever be spending $/-thousands on speakers now, but another thing that I have thought about is --- what happens when something goes wrong? Obviously there are a lot of electronics in active speakers, and just one failed component, when one has imported prized and beloved speakers from Europe, could be a really painful hassle.

There are other big names available locally, such as Adam. I don't know anything about their distributors, and maybe they do offer the kind of service that professional buyers absolutely need. But I/We do know Pandam Audio and they do inspire my confidence.

sign me up denom ( subject to my travels etc.. )
regards
mpw

Sure thing.

Thank you denom... I just might come to that!

Browsing Gearslutz, there are a number of mixed feelings about Genelec in the studio, probably more mixed than several of the other big-name active monitor manufacturers. Well, I'm not a music pro, and, from what I have heard I am certain I could be blissfully happy with a pair.

This is wildly theoretical, because I doubt I'll ever be spending $/-thousands on speakers now, but another thing that I have thought about is --- what happens when something goes wrong? Obviously there are a lot of electronics in active speakers, and just one failed component, when one has imported prized and beloved speakers from Europe, could be a really painful hassle.

There are other big names available locally, such as Adam. I don't know anything about their distributors, and maybe they do offer the kind of service that professional buyers absolutely need. But I/We do know Pandam Audio and they do inspire my confidence.

Good!! Look forward to meet you, hope you do come for it!
Any company doing something right will always have its share of bouquets & brickbats & Genelec certainly falls into that category. Their sole & single minded intention is to provide specific tools to anyone even remotely connected to the music industry one way or the other & that also includes a stray section of people who like us are into the music hobby for... well pursuing their hobby.

With regard to the serious active studio monitor manufacturers, am sure they take their ASS(After sales service) aspect seriously as having no ASS is not going to save their ass one way or the other! Its a cut throat market & 1 slip up can cause irreparable harm to their image. Don't forget that they are in contact with some of the best music engineers, arrangers, composers, musicians & other important people who are part of the music industry. So its only in their interest to provide all the necessary support to them if any untoward issues arise wrt failure of their product. No self respecting studio monitor manufacturer would want his rival to get the upper hand at their expense in such a situation! Hence I dont see why you should not get the required support if you face a problem with their product in India as well since most are now officially in India.

As far as Adam is concerned, the following are shown on the Adam Pro Audio Website:
TRIMAC PRODUCTS PRIVATE LIMITED
(DISTRIBUTOR INDIA)
D-40, DSIIDC PACKAGING COMPLEX
KIRTI NAGAR
110015 DELHI
INDIA
Ravi Ranjan Agarwal
Tel.: +91 11 41320102
Fax: +91 1141320109
Email: [email protected]
Web: Trimacppl

After numerous awards the 8351 has received, Genelec has now developed two smaller monitors based on the same design concept. Together these loudspeakers form the world's most compact coaxial three way monitors that will redefine the possibilities for high resolution audio reproduction.

Genelec plans to introduce The Ones, a new acoustically coaxial product family at launch events in India this month and will include a presentation on Loudness Standards by Dr. Thomas Lund. This will be followed by a The Ones technology presentation by Dr. Aki Mäkivirta and Dr. Thomas Lund and a product demonstration from Clifford Pereira. Finally, Dr. Aki Mäkivirta will present a session on immersive audio.

THE ONES launch program by Genelec in Bombay, Bangalore, Madras & Delhi, will be all day long
10:00am – Welcome speech from host and Siamak Naghian
10:30am – Loudness terminology, broadcast and streaming standards – Thomas Lund
12:30pm – Lunch
01:30pm – THE ONES technology presentation – Aki Makivirta & Thomas Lund
02:30pm – THE ONES demonstration – Clifford Pereira
03:00pm – Coffee and Tea Break
03:30pm – Immersive Audio – Aki Makivirta
05:30pm – Farewell, Giftbags

15th Feb Thu – Launch event in Bombay at Otters Club, Carter Road, Bandra
17th Feb Sat – Launch event in Bangalore at St Marks Hotel, St Marks Road
19th Feb Mon – Launch event in Madras at Hotel Green Park, N.S.K. Salai, Arcot Road, Vadapalani
21st Feb Wed – Launch event in Delhi at The Eros Hotel, American Plaza, Nehru Place

Register by contacting
Shiv Sood +91 98203 41843 / [email protected]
Prashant Damle +91 9867345336 / [email protected]

https://www.genelec.com/ones-launch-tour-india

theoneslaunchindia.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks, I'm in Bangalore to attend the meet. I pinged my old friends whose number I was having and many have responded positively. Who all are coming? It'll be nice meeting you all.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back