genelec actives for home theatre?

rashmin.smith

HI,

I am setting up a new home theatre for movie watching purposes. I have heard a number of options of speakers before coming to following 3 options. The setup will be 5.1.2

The room size is 21' x 16'. 6.5m x 5m.

All below options will be driven by suitable marantz pre and power amps.
And oppo player.

Option 1:
3 x Genelec 8050b LCR front speakers.
2 x Genelec 8020c surrounds.
2 x Genelec 8020c atmos.
1 x Genelec 7070 subwoofer.

Option 2:
Goldenear Triton one towers LR Front.
Goldenear Supercenter xxl center.
2 x Genelec 8020c surrounds.
2 x Genelec 8020c atmos.
1 x Goldenear supersub xxl subwoofer.

Option 3:
Legacy audio signature SE towers LR front.
Definitive Technology procenter 2000.
2 x Definitive Technology SR 9080 surrounds.
1 x Definitive Technology super cube 4000.
2 x Definitive Technology UIW RCS II

All suggestions are welcome.

Hi
If you use Genelac and OPPO - Genelac being active and Oppo is having bass management and volume control YOU CAN START WITHOUT PRE AMP

For source switching ,and possibly better bass management you may just need good AV pre
with passive speakers you will require good Pre Power or integrated

I would recommend electronics from Emotiva with Tekton Design's Pendragons' HT set.

Haven't heard the other speakers but you won't be disappointed with Genelecs. 8050b has a very high SPL (almost a rock concert level). Infact 8040b may be sufficient for your room. Unlike Genelecs, both Triton one and Signature SE needs power amp I believe. Triton one goes down to 14hz (!!) which is an overkill or redundant when you add the sub.

I am using 3x 8030a (with 5051a sub), 2 x 8020b and an SVS PB12 in a 15 x 11 room and I don't feel like upgrading yet... I also have another pair of 8020b which I might use for setting up Atmos. But I think Atmos needs atleast 4 on the ceiling.

I think santy sold his set. He's from Mumbai
Not yet. :) The ones I put on sale belonged to my friend.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back