Getting OpenELEC(XBMC) to run on OLD CONFIG. PC

rayvonnee

I was intending to build a media center and run openelec on it.
My dads office is throwing away their old computer and so i asked if i could get some parts.
The current Config is:
Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Celeron 331
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 133MHz (3-3-3-8)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8I915ME (Socket 775) 66 C
Graphics
Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Gigabyte)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 (SATA) 41 C

I wont be getting the HDD:D as they plan to use it for a new config.
NOW MY QUESTIONS:
Im a complete noob about xbmc and do not know anything. I went through many posts and could not find any information about installing it on a single core processor. I have built my own pc for home use. I know about choosing h/w but not installation of software and boot up......etc ....etc.
1. Will i be able to run OpenELEC(XBMC) on this pc?
2. Will i need a separate Graphic Card?
3. Will i need a new HDD?
4. How to do the booting up from BIOS?
Any other components which will be required?
Im currently not having any budget for this and would not want to spend much cash on this build.
I have seen youtube videos for installation but its yet not clear as to what should be done. Sorry MODS if this topic is discussed already, but im just too confused. The forum is quite helpful and im hoping to get some help from FM's.
:)Thanks.

1. Will i be able to run OpenELEC(XBMC) on this pc?.
Yes, you can. Use a light weight skin if the system lags due to the transparency and other effects used in default skin
2. Will i need a separate Graphic Card?
Might be needed to play HD content. Try throwing in some HD content before deciding on what to upgrade. The motherboard you've mentioned supports both AGP & PCI Cards
3. Will i need a new HDD?
No, openelec can run off a USB drive / SD Card. You can still watch content from external hard drives and online services like youtube
4. How to do the booting up from BIOS?
Enter the BIOS and select the appropriate device under "First Boot Device" ( found under "Advanced BIOS Features" )
Any other components which will be required?
Not a must...get a good wireless keyboard (logitech k260/k400) if possible

Use another computer and create a bootable Openelec usb stick. Then use this stick to boot into Openelec installer. You'll need another usb drive / sd card with usb adapter to install Openelec on to.

Thanks very much sir. Got all points clear except the last one
Once i create a bootable openelec stick. I have to use this same stick for booting into openelec(xbmc).
I did not understand why to have another usb stick with open elec?
Is one stick usb enough? Or Two?
I have a zotac geforce 210 lying around can i use this card for pci express?

You will need 2 USB sticks as you dont have a HD.

The 1st USB stick is similar to the bootable disk from which you will install an OS.
In this case it is the USB bootable disk from which you will install OpenElec.

The 2nd USB stick is similar to the HD onto which you will install the OS, in this
case it is OpenElec.

Once after the installation is complete, you will not need the 1st USB stick.

Additional instructions can be found here:
HOW-TO:Installing OpenELEC/Writing The Disk Image - OpenELEC

I think you can directly get the USB stick installed with OpenElec before connecting to the PC. Hence 1 USB stick with the Openelec installed is sufficient. You can use some other PC or a laptop and make the USB stick bootable, you can check it online. Then remove it and connect to your PC where you need to set the first bootable disk as the USB port and it will start the Openelec automatically.

I got the components now for a build. This is the motherboard with all components which i got installed. I also intend to install a graphic card but dont know if it is supported. I have a zotac geforce 210 1gb ddr3 gpu. Also i would want to buy a smps(psu) for this one. So should i just get the local ones like iball, zebronics, etc? Also any other requirements? Will a 4GB sandisk pendrive work or will i have to buy another one?

Attachments

• IMG_20150501_140103.jpg
    IMG_20150501_140103.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20150501_140019.jpg
    IMG_20150501_140019.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi rayvonnee,

A good PSU is important. I am not sure about iBall, zebronics, but I have
read good things about Corsair. Depending upon your power requirements,
you may need to chose the wattage required.

4 GB should work. The OpenElec software itself is few hundred MBs, but
the space might be required for building the library (i.e. movie artifacts,
etc) and that would increase depending on the number of movies/TV
shows you have and planning (now and later) to include in your library.

So now ive actually got the software downloaded and will be putting it in the pendrive. Im also having a 1tb hdd with movies preloaded? Will that work as i have some other documents too in it. I hope it wont affect the other files. So my 4gb pendrive will act as the boot device and my transcend will be for my movies playback. Is this enough? Is my thinking right?

Please do not connect the HD until after you verify that OpenElec is running.

From what I understand 2 disks might be required but manniraj says 1 is sufficient.

I dont want you to accidentally erase everything that you have in your 1 TB HD,
because IIRC during my installation process I used 2 sticks (1 for the OpenElec
installable files (iso kind of files) and the other to have OpenElec installed)
and during the installation, my 2nd stick was erased of its contents and written
with the OpenElec software.

Ok so i got it running by busing two sticks and pulled apart my pc for smps. Now problem is there is no audio output from my new openelec media center. I guess the onboard port has gone bad. What is the reason?

Update: I got the audio working from the hdmi port. I have now connected the player to my denon avr x500 and it seems to play almost anything i throw at it. Only gets buffering issue when i play dtshd content over sandisk pendrive. Over my hdd it plays smooth no issues so far. Now my only concern is the cabinet and one issue is evertime i start it it gets an error saying to detach any media device(pendrive) connected to it and reboot? So does it mean that anytime i have to start the player and play content i have to detach my hdd and reboot again and again to get it working? After that all is fine. Im not looking to spend much so suggest a cheaper alternative. As of now i have not spent any cash for this build. Got the powersupply from a previous pc which is no longer working. Thanks for the immediate help you offered. and i could get my media center running.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back