Getting Receiver from Singapore worth?

Krish82

Hi Guys,

I am not sure about the price differences of Receivers between india and singapore. But i have heard that prices in singapore are significantly lesser than here.
So can you guys throw any light on this,i was thinking of making a vacation trip to singapore and get a decent Receiver from there. I was looking at the

Denon 2809
Cambridge Audio Azur 640

also which Receiver you think will be better?, or any other you suggest.
I currently have HTS 590, i have upgraded my mains to Polk Rti-A5, the Onkyo HTR-340 (basically 304E) powers it decently:confused:i think!!, because the sound stage is great in my smaller room, But when i placed it in the hall recently, i have to pump to volume 55+..i dont want my speakers to be clipped and beaten to death.

All suggessions are welcome:)

Can you let me know the price difference and weather i have to pay any tax.

Thanks
Krish

I was looking at the

Denon 2809
Cambridge Audio Azur 640

The denon is a receiver and the other is an integrated (pre/ power separated out) and no video processing so they are different. Soundwise the integrateds are better. Feature & price wise its vice versa.

Singapore will certainly be cheaper. The quantum of difference? Depends upon the product and current pricing in India. Another member got a Yamaha 863 recently and he paid roughly 40K against the old Indian prices of 60K.

There are no taxes. All you may have to worry about is customs duty. Since you will be coming through Chennai, you will not have too much hassles at the airport. In Singapore, when you exit, you can get a refund of the VAT you paid when buying the AVR. Speak to the shopkeeper and ensure you have all the papers needed. At the airport, there is a counter for getting the refund.

In terms of models, this depends upon your requirement. If you lean more towards music, go for the CA. If you are leaning towards movies, the current favourite is Yamaha.

I hope you know where to shop in Singapore. It is a place called Sim Lim Square. About 3 or 4 stories of just electronics shops. Also visit The Adelphi that has more upmarket shops.

Prepare to give yourself a full day, and don't take any ladies with you. They will get bored and beat you up. I would also suggest that you don't buy on the first trip to the shops itself. The first trip, just take notes. Come back to the hotel and compare your notes. Go back another day, and then head straight for the shop you want to buy from. do a last minute haggling, and put your money down.

Cheers

You will save atleast 10K which can be invested in speakers and other stuff locally. GO ahead by all means. HK may be even cheaper :)

Cheers

Thanks very much, i have never been there, so the tips you have posted will definetly be useful for me.If yamaha 863 a better receiver then i will look for that.

Krish

Last edited:
Singapore will certainly be cheaper. The quantum of difference? Depends upon the product and current pricing in India. Another member got a Yamaha 863 recently and he paid roughly 40K against the old Indian prices of 60K.

There are no taxes. All you may have to worry about is customs duty. Since you will be coming through Chennai, you will not have too much hassles at the airport. In Singapore, when you exit, you can get a refund of the VAT you paid when buying the AVR. Speak to the shopkeeper and ensure you have all the papers needed. At the airport, there is a counter for getting the refund.

In terms of models, this depends upon your requirement. If you lean more towards music, go for the CA. If you are leaning towards movies, the current favourite is Yamaha.

I hope you know where to shop in Singapore. It is a place called Sim Lim Square. About 3 or 4 stories of just electronics shops. Also visit The Adelphi that has more upmarket shops.

Prepare to give yourself a full day, and don't take any ladies with you. They will get bored and beat you up. I would also suggest that you don't buy on the first trip to the shops itself. The first trip, just take notes. Come back to the hotel and compare your notes. Go back another day, and then head straight for the shop you want to buy from. do a last minute haggling, and put your money down.

Cheers

Venkat sir,

My friend is in Singapore and is coming back soon.I wanted him to bring an integrated amp.But the problem is he already has around 18K Kg of luggage oh his own and he's saying the allowed limit is 20 Kg.
Is there any way out? May be by paying for the extra weight ?

Thanks

My friend is in Singapore and is coming back soon.I wanted him to bring an integrated amp.But the problem is he already has around 18K Kg of luggage oh his own and he's saying the allowed limit is 20 Kg.
Is there any way out? May be by paying for the extra weight ?

This depends purely on your friend whether he is ready to take the extra effort. I am not sure which airlines he is travelling by, but Singapore Airlines is very strict particularly if you are travelling Economy. They will not give you the boarding pass unless you pay for the extra weight. Please call Singapore Airlines, find the rate for extra weight and then decide whether it make sense.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I am not sure about the price differences of Receivers between india and singapore. But i have heard that prices in singapore are significantly lesser than here.
So can you guys throw any light on this,i was thinking of making a vacation trip to singapore and get a decent Receiver from there. I was looking at the

Denon 2809
Cambridge Audio Azur 640

also which Receiver you think will be better?, or any other you suggest.
I currently have HTS 590, i have upgraded my mains to Polk Rti-A5, the Onkyo HTR-340 (basically 304E) powers it decently:confused:i think!!, because the sound stage is great in my smaller room, But when i placed it in the hall recently, i have to pump to volume 55+..i dont want my speakers to be clipped and beaten to death.

All suggessions are welcome:)

Can you let me know the price difference and weather i have to pay any tax.

Thanks
Krish

Dear

I am dealer of Cambridge Audio products.

AZUR 640 A v2-Integrated Amplifier - MRP Rs.26,500/-
640 R - AV receiver - MRP Rs.60,500/-
( I can offer 5% -10% Discount now)

Contact - 9884063608.
Location Saligramam. Chennai.

I think while the price in singapore is chaper, make sure that you buy extended warranty in India.. I dont think most of them provide a warranty in India for the products purchased overseas... I dont know about you but for me warranty is must specially on big ticket items

I think while the price in singapore is chaper, make sure that you buy extended warranty in India.. I dont think most of them provide a warranty in India for the products purchased overseas... I dont know about you but for me warranty is must specially on big ticket items

Is there such a thing as buying a warranty in a particular country? I doubt it.
Local distie may still refuse to service to send out a message to buy locally.

Correct me if I am wrong but warranty involves free repairs but shipping is at customers cost. So why pay 3 or 4K extra upfront for a bogus warranty when you still have to pay 7K for shipping internationally one way via DHL/FedEX ?

Better open the package, listen confirm everything all right, repack and bring back to India

Regards

Hi,

My friend is coming from Singapore and I'm asking him to bring me a Marantz PM7003 from Singapore.
Since I won't get any warranty in India for this,I'm little worried about this purchase.Will it be too risky ?

Do I need to worry about any voltage issues if I bring it from Singapore ( like it is from USA ) ( I think I already asked this question somewhere else,but forgot the and :sad: )

Will I get the VAT refunded at the airport ? (As per Venkat Sir I think I'll :)) ( What is the procedure for this & what are all the papers needed ?)

Any other precautions or formalities ? ( Customs etc )

(My friend has no idea whatsoever on electronics and hi-fi,so I need to tell him every details before he makes the purchase...All he can do is : go to the shop,tell the model no.,pay the price and get the stuff)

Please advice...

Last edited:
interesting....my wife is going to be in singapore later this month....i am wondering if i should ask her to pick up a CD player....any ideas on good stores to pick them up from? any tips?

PM 7003 : SGD 480 ( 15,650 INR )

My friend called up some guy and this is the quote he got :)

Need help from ppl who've got stuff from Singapore...

singapore runs at 230V like India so no probs there.

You save a minimum of 6K on an item if you buy in SG over India. Marantz may be available locally for a premium of only 2K i believe so get the quotes over phone, then bargain with local dealers.

Cheers

PM 7003 : SGD 480 ( 15,650 INR )

My friend called up some guy and this is the quote he got :)

Need help from ppl who've got stuff from Singapore...

WOW ! Out here, PM5003 is ~22500 INR + ship from chennai. But is it worth flying all the way to s'pore just for this + some other shopping?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back