gigabyte ma78gm-us2h sound question

maniac_2004

Hi All,
went for a gigabyte mobo . Have a few queries -

- Not able to get 5.1 audio over optical out. Is this a driver issue . Im able to get 2 channel output over it.
- Can I split Audio and Video when connecting via HDMI . Or is it compulsory to spool both Audio and Video over HDMI ? I want audio via HDMI and video on the D-sub

Im running this on windows xp
Thanks

Last edited:
There are different versions of drivers out there, what version are you using, lot of users have found version 8 to be stable, currently version 9 is the latest, you will need to try a few out to see which one works best.

780G chipset is capable of only 2-channel audio over HDMI. For 5.1 ch audio over optical, you will need source material that has 5.1 natively embedded (DD/DTS) and the optical can do pass-through. For encoding 2-channel material to 5-channel, you will need a multichannel encoder software.

That is a very strange limitation, Cranky. Was not aware of this till now.

780G chipset is capable of only 2-channel audio over HDMI. For 5.1 ch audio over optical, you will need source material that has 5.1 natively embedded (DD/DTS) and the optical can do pass-through. For encoding 2-channel material to 5-channel, you will need a multichannel encoder software.

tried this with a dvd (DD) . There seems to be a crackling in sound when play it thru my AVR ( denon 1909) via VLCPlayer. 2 channel seems to be fine .

How come they claim to support blue ray if HDMI is only 2 channel.

It means it will carry audio on bluray discs just fine. But only 2 channels.

780G does not carry BD certification nor HDMI 1.3a support, which is required for full BluRay support. Read the specs again.

thx for clarification ..
yea they mention .
"HDMI 1.3 certified in video spec only"

altho later they also mention ..

Full Rate Lossless Audio for content protected media and support for both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats ...

confusing ....

Last edited:
dear thread starter,
you may not know it, but yours is one of the very few boards with onboard dts connect!
so, it means your board should actually be able to pass all kinds of 5.1 signals(dunno about bluray though) thru optical, whereas other boards cannot.
just lookup dts-connect.

With the Realtek ALC889A chipset there should be a sound manager icon in the tray. Open it, click on DTS Interactive, you have 5.1 over SPDIF for games, movies, whatever. Cuts off the analog though.

Actually, me and suprateep discussed this on these forums quite a while ago, maybe four months. The 8300, which is the direct competitor to the 780G, supports 6-channel passthrough over HDMI (still no encoding though), but with weaker graphics performance and a single-link DVI port.

The 790G also has some kind of limitation over HDMI, thugh I think the 785 adds full support for audio over HDMI (1.3a). I could be wrong though, I don't keep up with chipsets unless it's buying time...

No, the 785G doesn't.
AnandTech

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back