Glass Wool Vs Synthetic Wool Acoustics - Pros & Cons

simmremm

I am planning for a dedicated home theater in a room size 20' x 14'. Have a confusion in acoustics....whether to go for glass wool or synthetic wool. My budget is under 1.5 lacs, so my Engineer suggests me to go for glass wool, will there be any major quality difference between both? Can anyone explain the pros & cons for both types?

Never Ever go for Glass Wool. They are highly hazardous and can create problems for humans.
Stick on to synthetic wool but they are not as effective as Glass wool.

Other way is Anutone acoustics. they have lots of products, just browse their website you will be amazed.

regards

Glass Wool is known to have the best Sound Damping factor. I remember in college days we used it inside Speaker Boxes with very good results.

However it is very difficult to handle. Home use is not recommended at all.

Further as per my understanding using Something like Glass wool for Home purpose is a overkill, what is required is a Sound Diffuser. Full Length Book-shelves are ideal also looks good. Other options are canvas paintings and heavy curtains.

If you wrap glass wool in Tissue before putting in then it is much safer. While installing it you should be careful and keep children away but otherwise it is pretty Safe. Also it is Fire Retardant and Heat Insulator too. It is working perfectly in my HT room. I would recommend Glass Wool if you can be careful while getting it put in and then there should be good material covering it. I have panels of Canvas, Foam and Cloth on top of it and the glasswool is wrapped in Tissue. You can see my Ht tread for details.

Alok

Check out Anutone's website for more info, I have used their synth material, along with their boards and am quite happy with it. I am also using synth for stuffing my speakers

Yes Glass Wool is any day better. Sound Damping factor is better than Poly fill or any other material. I have used it in various Speaker projects. My Dad too used Glass wool for both Home Audio and Live PA speakers and of course also used Namda as a cheap alternative (Used in Cars carpet in the old days.)

Its dangerous but my Dad and I are still alive :). What I mean is you have to be carefull and take preacautions like mask & gloves. Change in clothes immediately & wash yourself. Still whatever protection you will still feel itchy.

You can use Glass Wool sheets its easier to work with than Glass wool roll or loose fibres

But its the best :cool:

Check out this Link, I have used Glass wool http://www.hifivision.com/diy/23053-diy-speaker.html

I too have used glass wool and there has been no problem as of which is confirmed on this and other threads by members.

I remember people used to warn me that glass wool is not good etc but i still went for it because i got the rightly advice to go for it.

If other options are better and easier to install etc then one should not consider glass wool.

V

As George said Anutone Synth is a good performer.
Synth PF is thermally-bonded, chemically-free polyesterfibre blanket roll. No resins are used. It is an ecofriendly, lightweight, thermacoustic performance enhancer behind walls & ceilings!

Glasswool cost is approx Rs 170/- per Sqm for 50 mm think 32 kg/m3 density.
For 48 density the cost is around Rs 230/-

For 550 sq ft, the cost would be (assuming we take 60 sqm) = 60*170 = Rs. 10,200/-

If you wrap it in tissue then the tissue cost is Rs 11/- per sqm.

Alok,

Forgive the noob question, but how does one wrap glasswool in tissue? Can you please elaborate?

Tissue is a material that is acoustically transparent. When wrapped around glasswool it allows sound to pass through, it prevents flakes of glasswool from entering into the room. It is available in rolls, don't remember the price since I bought it a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tissue is a material that is acoustically transparent. When wrapped around glasswool it allows sound to pass through, it prevents flakes of glasswool from entering into the room. It is available in rolls, don't remember the price since I bought it a while ago.

ANy details on this tissue? Dealers in India, etc?

I bought it for Rs. 11/- per meter. It comes in a roll of 1 meter width.
You just gift wrap the glasswool with tissue and stick it with tape. It does not have to be perfect packing as you will usually never touch the base again.

How about Rockwool. I have read great feedbacks about them too. Are they available in India? What would be the cost of them.
A small doubt: Do we really need to cover the entire room with these acoustic materials like glasswool, or is it sufficient if we cover just the first reflection points, rear wall of the speaker and the four corners(with bass traps). Someone please enlight.

Back