Glass Wool Vs Synthetic Wool Acoustics - Pros & Cons

@alphacentury: Depends on what you are after really. Doing only parts of the room improves your music/movie experience by addressing key issues like early reflections, bass related issues etc. It also retains a lot of liveliness in the room. This will suffice where sound proofing is not a requirement and when the room does not have problematic modes. Doing the entire room will prevent any sound from going out or coming into the room. This can make the room dead depending on how it is implemented. One will still need the bass traps and any other specific room treatment.

Rockwool is also good from what I have read, though I have never used it myself. It is available atleast here in Bangalore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about Rockwool. I have read great feedbacks about them too. Are they available in India? What would be the cost of them.
A small doubt: Do we really need to cover the entire room with these acoustic materials like glasswool, or is it sufficient if we cover just the first reflection points, rear wall of the speaker and the four corners(with bass traps). Someone please enlight.

I used Rockwool to do my first reflection points and the bass traps. As long as you get the work done out side you should be fine.

Pl go thru this link for details of how it was used.

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/10892-need-help-room-acoustics.html

Hi alpha,

Even I'm using rockwool treatment in my home theatre room. Work should be done in 10 days, post which I can share how room sounds. I had called a technician to see how much portion of wall I needed to cover inorder to attain best or atleast good acoustic treatment - fitting budget as well.

In my opinion, covering entire room might make sound feel dead, so what I've done is covered most parts of room and certain areas I've will place some cd racks or posters etc or decorative articles. This will also help in some diffusion. In addition, it also depends how your speaker drivers are positioned - based on that you can avoid covering some of the bottom portion of walls...basically as Santhosh mentioned, you can cover first reflection points.

The other advantage of not covering entire walls, incase you need to add base traps you can do so.

When I had the room bare naked and just stand and clapped, I could clearly hear lot of reverb, and I can now hear huge difference so far with the treatment done. That should give you a hint why you need to treat the room. :)
Hope this helps.

Neo.

As George said Anutone Synth is a good performer.
Synth PF is thermally-bonded, chemically-free polyesterfibre blanket roll. No resins are used. It is an ecofriendly, lightweight, thermacoustic performance enhancer behind walls & ceilings!

What do you have for stuffing inside sealed box speakers completely? Not a roll but like cotton?

I will be commencing my speaker project soon and need something.
--G

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back