Good FM Receiver to purchase in Thane - Mumbai

Harish1957

Hi:

I live in Thane which is about 40 Kms away from the Mumbai FM stations. I am unable to receive FM radio signals in my flat through some of the popularly available portable Sony / Philips FM /AM/ DVD players.

Can anyone suggest any good FM tuners which would give me good FM Reception without any external antenna ? Quality need not be GREAT - standalone FM receiver recommendations are also welcome.

Regards

Hi Harish,

I live in Kalyan & i have the same problem. Currently i am using a "rabbit'ear" antennae for my Yamaha receiver for indoor purpose. Since I am on the top floor of the bldg., i have laid a wire from my Onkyo receiver to the terrace. With this arrangement i am able to get the receptions but with lot of disturbance.

I think i will have to use an outdoor antennae for better reception.

regards
Prasad

I am advising an outdated device which you may not find easily, but if you can find the Yagi-Uda antenna which used to be used for receiving Doordarshan terrestrial broadcasts, that is the cheap and best solution. Put it a good height outdoor, on the rooftop on a sturdy MS pipe, clamp it well. Point it the general direction of the FM tower. Use a regular coaxial cable used in TV cable networks to connect it to your receiver. Fine tune pointing by listening to your reception (steady reception without occasional hisses). The better choice is the cable with a pair of conductors separated by some space.

You will typically need the same type of connector used in cable TV as FM receivers also use the same type of connector.

Caveat: Yag-Uda antennas are usually cheaply built and don't last much.

Caveat 2: if you live in the shadow of the National Park hill, you may not be able to get reception no matter what you do.

Last edited:
An average tuner with a great antenna will outperform a great tuner with an average antenna.

My suggestion is to opt for a good tuner like those of NAD and make a good antenna yourself.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back