Good hindi rock songs which you like

One of the first rock songs that I heard was "Sar kiye ye pahaar" by Junoon. Still think it has one of the best melodies I have heard.

slight error. the song is from 'strings' :)
i agree it has a great melodic tune !
it sounds much better & melodic in its original form than the coke studio one, here :

OLD :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVA7bUkeHOw

NEWER (heavily modified & all the more pleasing to ears) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpfarsOqocA

i am/used to be (confused :p) a big fan of junoon's works (until ali azmat decided to tread the fundamentalist path :indifferent14:). this rendition of theirs of baba bulleh shah's poetry came out much before rabbi shergill's version, and sounds truer to the baba's 'mystic tones' :eek:hyeah:

Junoon-Bulleya [HQ & HD] - YouTube [headphones recommended :)]

some other good numbers from them :

Junoon - Khoeey Khoeey Ankhein - A Huge Rock Anthem (HQ) - YouTube

Junoon - Main Kaun Hoon!!? - A Revolutionary Rock Anthem! (HQ) - YouTube

Junoon-Dharti Ke Khuda (with lyrics karaoke) [HQ] - YouTube

Ghoom by Junoon - YouTube

Junoon-Wahda Hoo [HQ] - YouTube

JUNOON-Ab To Jaag [HQ] - YouTube

and one by 'strings' again :)

Strings _ Anjane (Stranger) - Pakistani Band - YouTube

got all these & many more on cassettes :D

where's the OP ?! :p

Last edited:
One of the first rock songs that I heard was "Sar ki hai ye pahaar" by Junoon. Still think it has one of the best melodies I have heard.

Coke Studio - Strings Sar Kiye Yeh Pahar - YouTube

Thanks, I had been searching for "Sar ki hai ye pahaar" since past 7 or 8 years. Last time I think I heard it was 1994 I think on MTV India.

I had no idea what it was called and who sang it till now, just a faint idae of what the music and lyrics were like.

Thanks again.

Saurabh

Last edited:
1) Daulat e Sohrat from the Kailasa album of Kailash Kher. The pounding bass line and drums is mesmerising. Kailash Kher's unconventional voice timbre is very pleasing as usual. And he's got a great band. Their live performances are very energetic, more like heavy rock performances.

2) Ballo by Rabbi Shergill. I don't understand a word of the lyrics but the cadence of the rhythmically plucked acoustic guitar more than makes up. Also, this number brings out another side of Rabbi Shergill - a mean contralto backing voice that he sings in the last refrain.

3) There's one number of Fuzon (the Pak Sufi rock band) that I really like but can't recall the title. The video is shot in 40s/50s style black and white. Very nice storyline too (the video, I mean). The piano solo on this song is outstanding, as is the guitar solo. The warm and fuzzy tone of the piano sounds like a real acoustic piano (which it could be), and instantly transports you to gentler times that the video tries to depict.

How did we forget KK's Pal?

BTW, my CD of Pal sucks. Even the cassette I used to have long ago sounded better. I think my CD is a re-issue, bought not too long ago. It is even missing liner notes and credits. The bass is boomy and much details are lost. It sounds like someone burned an ACD from MP3 master:)

Anyone no longer listening to your old Pal CD willing to swap?

My favorite hindi song:

Guitar, voice, drums, words, mood. Once in a blue moon Bollywood rocks!

Badalon Se - YouTube

Vintage Gulzar:

"Dekho Yoon Khule Badan
Gulabi Sahilon Pe Aaya Na Karo
Tum Namak Bhare Samundaron Mein Yoon
Is Tarah Nahaya Na Karo
Sara Din Chandni Si Chhaayi Rehti Hai
Aur Gulabi Dhoop Baukhlai Rehti Hai
Jaamno Ki Naram Daal Pe
Naakhoon Se Naam Khodna
Yeh Mujhe Kya Ho Gaya?
"

Trivia question: You hear the riff of Wake Up in the end of a very popular movie. Which one?

Matrix. Loved all songs/soundtrack of that movie.
A very apt song too :)

Thankfully people have mentioned Junoon - though not "Indian" - but surely belong to sub-continent India.

If you go by melody / rhythm / maturity / usage of hindi/urdu (lets call it hindustani) lyrics - Junoon craps over any other Indian band.
Our very own Indian rock bands have never been able to come up with similar stuff. (mostly Piss poor amateurish attempt, or good but "english" theme)

(Yes, even Junoon was extreme amateurish - if you check their earlier albums, but their later albums are really world class)

(Yes, even Junoon was extreme amateurish - if you check their earlier albums, but their later albums are really world class)

Another Trivia: Their guitarist is a graduate of The California Institute of Guitar Technology, a breeding ground for many great guitarists. Even if he wasn't, he remains a damned good guitarist.

>>>

What about Shubha Mudgal's fantastic (obviously because its classically trained and powerful) voice with heavy beats and guitar in :

1. Dere dere doloon bawariya re
2. Ak ke saawan aise barse

and a few others that she rendered a decade or so ago?

It might not be authentic rock but I find these tracks fascinating.

Regards
Keep spinning

3) There's one number of Fuzon (the Pak Sufi rock band) that I really like but can't recall the title. The video is shot in 40s/50s style black and white. Very nice storyline too (the video, I mean). The piano solo on this song is outstanding, as is the guitar solo. The warm and fuzzy tone of the piano sounds like a real acoustic piano (which it could be), and instantly transports you to gentler times that the video tries to depict.

I guess you meant "Khamaj" - mora saiyaan mose bole na. But do you really call that rock? yes again the same old debate of what is rock and demarcation:)

I guess you meant "Khamaj" - mora saiyaan mose bole na. But do you really call that rock? yes again the same old debate of what is rock and demarcation:)

Yes, that's the song.

Rock? Or not? I would venture to call it one variation of rock. There are so many now - (straightforward) hard rock (Gary Moore), punk rock (Billy Idol, Sex Pistols), metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden), glam rock (Poison, Ratt, Twisted Sisters, Europe), progressive rock (Rush, Kansas), industrial metal, death metal (Pantera), thrash metal (Megadeth, Metallica), grunge rock (Soundgarden), hip hop rock (Linkin' Park), sufi rock (Junoon, Fuzon, Kailash Kher), neo-classical rock (Yngwie J Malmsteen, Alex Masi), Scandinavian rock (TNT), Chinese metal (Tang Dynasty), Jap rock (Loudness), etc.

"Bateein - Unplugged version" from Hindi movie "Life in a Metro".

I hope it fits in the definition of Rock.

I agree what one of FM said that what we heard during our formative years as rock remains "the real rock" to us. And whatever variations that we hear later on (irrespective of whether new or old) is considered as dilution of the "real rock".

Yes, that's the song.

Rock? Or not? I would venture to call it one variation of rock. There are so many now - (straightforward) hard rock (Gary Moore), punk rock (Billy Idol, Sex Pistols), metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden), glam rock (Poison, Ratt, Twisted Sisters, Europe), progressive rock (Rush, Kansas), industrial metal, death metal (Pantera), thrash metal (Megadeth, Metallica), grunge rock (Soundgarden), hip hop rock (Linkin' Park), sufi rock (Junoon, Fuzon, Kailash Kher), neo-classical rock (Yngwie J Malmsteen, Alex Masi), Scandinavian rock (TNT), Chinese metal (Tang Dynasty), Jap rock (Loudness), etc.

Well said. Refer mikkisays.net those guys even classify into Christian Rock, Brit Rock (i.e British Rock). I guess a time will come when we have 'guntur rock' or 'alibagh rock' :lol:

Christian Rock, Brit Rock (i.e British Rock). I guess a time will come when we have 'guntur rock' or 'alibagh rock' :lol:

Stryper was a very well-known Christian metal band. I still have one of their albums (To Hell With The Devil). Their songs were characterised by great vocal harmonies as well as very good rhythm guitars and solo guitars. But I can't agree that their lyrics are Christian in spirit.

Another band that made quite a name for itself in the same genre was Petra. Not my type of music, though.

Brit rock is too humongous a term. It's an Americanism to identify rockers and the brand of rock from across the pond.

Actualy linkn park,limp bizkit,etc all categorisd in 'nu metal!' what about death metal(cradle of filth!,etc)?blues rock?!(aerosmith!)my fav genre would be always hard rock with likes of scorpions,van halen etc!though an huge fan of iron maiden!guess we even have/had?! an acoustic rock band called 'silk route'!

Checkout "sifar" they have their own site and they offer free download of their songs in flac format.
I came across them when they gave their first album for free in digit magazine.
Decent songs ..hoping you guys will like them.

Actualy linkn park,limp bizkit,etc all categorisd in 'nu metal!' what about death metal(cradle of filth!,etc)?blues rock?!(aerosmith!)my fav genre would be always hard rock with likes of scorpions,van halen etc!though an huge fan of iron maiden!guess we even have/had?! an acoustic rock band called 'silk route'!

Love the crunchy tones of distorting Marshall JCM 800 (or superlead in some cases)!

my fav genre would be always hard rock with likes of scorpions,van halen etc!though an huge fan of iron maiden!guess we even have/had?! an acoustic rock band called 'silk route'!

My all-time favourite guitarist remains Eddie van Halen. And he's very high up there in my esteem amongst keyboard players too. But his brother Alex van Halen probably is the worst all-time drummer!

Nuno Bettencourt (ex- Extreme) is probably my second favourite guitarist. Very, very inventive, quite the technical monkey without going overboard on the technicalities, and plays mean funk rhythms. And he composes beautiful string accompaniments.

Iron Maiden's Steve Harris has absolutely no competition in my books among bass players.

My all-time favourite guitarist remains Eddie van Halen. And he's very high up there in my esteem amongst keyboard players too. But his brother Alex van Halen probably is the worst all-time drummer!

Nuno Bettencourt (ex- Extreme) is probably my second favourite guitarist. Very, very inventive, quite the technical monkey without going overboard on the technicalities, and plays mean funk rhythms. And he composes beautiful string accompaniments.

Iron Maiden's Steve Harris has absolutely no competition in my books among bass players.

thats great bro!:)happy seein a fellow hard rock afficianado here:) hmmm my fav on leads other than evh! would be uli jon roth(ex scorpions)and dave murray(iron maiden)obvious i also like s/ash!and mathias jabs! And huge fan of chennai's very own guitarist christy samuel of Moksha!

Bass=steve harris:)(virtouso playin and showman superb!)

drums=nicko mcbrain,lars ulrich and igor cavalera

vocals=klaus meine,james hetfield,joe elliot,bruce dicknson,axl rose,layne stanley,kurt cobain,fred durst! And bryan adams:)

drums=nicko mcbrain,lars ulrich and igor cavalera

vocals=klaus meine,james hetfield,joe elliot,bruce dicknson,axl rose,layne stanley,kurt cobain,fred durst! And bryan adams:)

Yeah, Lars Ulrich is a wonder. The track One is the best example of his virtuosity.

And James Hetfield doesn't sing - he growls his way through songs :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back