Good hindi rock songs which you like

with due respect to all desi angrez s :p (yeah yeah i am getting offensive here ) please challenge what wikipaedia says about rock music. i am quoting its second paragraph.
Musically, rock has centred around the electric guitar, usually as part of a rock group with bass guitar and drums. Typically, rock is song-based music with a 4/4 beat utilizing a verse-chorus form, but the genre has become extremely diverse and common musical characteristics are difficult to define. Like pop music, lyrics often stress romantic love but also address a wide variety of other themes that are frequently social or political in emphasis
a genre which itself came up after 1950 and has its roots in rock n roll(now please dont say indian films never had a rock n roll song. there are thousands if not million right from 1950s) there are many pure rock songs this side of pacific. it has become soo cliched to underplay indian stuff that defending it has become a cliche now. music knows no boundaries and maybe some soft rock ballad could be found in jagjit singhs ghazal repertoire. after all it was not an invention but a phenomena that was retrospectively termed rock.
theres no fixed definition and there are many definitions.
@op: papa kehte hain from qayamat se qayamat tak, purani jeans by ali haider many lucky ali songs are rock songs. good rock songs.

well written by Dr. saab ! :)

but assuming the OP is referring to the kind of songs we laymen come to usually refer to as 'rock' (even if in the wrong sense :p), i would suggest him a few tracks from 'paanch' too (perhaps the first bollywood 'rock' album released in 2004, the OSTs of a movie which couldn't pass through the censor scissors), apart from 'rock on'. non-movie songs would include older songs from junoon (hindi/urdu/punjabi mix - 'sufi rock'), euphoria, agni, indian ocean, etc ('fusion rock'). there may be quite some more which am failing to recollect at the moment.

"Jannat Yahaan" - from Jannat.
There are several hindi movie songs which use the technicalities of Rock, 'but our sweet music directors induce their creativity' (all sarcasm intended) and make it a bollywood song.

"Jannat Yahaan" - from Jannat.
There are several hindi movie songs which use the technicalities of Rock, 'but our sweet music directors induce their creativity' (all sarcasm intended) and make it a bollywood song.

absolutely nothing wrong with that. they could be graded under rock umbrella under the sub heading 'bollywood rock'
heres the original song from paap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akhcHWzpM9k

Last edited:
absolutely nothing wrong with that. they could be graded under rock umbrella under the sub heading 'bollywood rock'
heres the original song from paap

Paap - Garaj Baras (original) - YouTube
These sub heads precisely lead to what has happened to Rock, today. Alternative rock, punk rock, soft rock, hard rock, country rock, folk rock, Neo Rock, Indie Rock, progressive rock etc and now a new one Bollywood rock.

Nothing wrong in experimenting but I would rather accept Rock in its original form, just like a religious fundamentalist considers his/her religious values. Different people different perspective.

I really like the "Jo Bhi Main" and "Nadaan Parindey" from the movie Rockstar.
I don't know if they fit the bill for a Rock Song but these two songs have a very nice rhythm and a soul in it. The bass guitar rendition in both of these songs is just mesmerizing.

These sub heads precisely lead to what has happened to Rock, today. Alternative rock, punk rock, soft rock, hard rock, country rock, folk rock, Neo Rock, Indie Rock, progressive rock etc and now a new one Bollywood rock.

Nothing wrong in experimenting but I would rather accept Rock in its original form, just like a religious fundamentalist considers his/her religious values. Different people different perspective.

The only problem with your argument is that there is no clear definition of "rock". So, there is nothing called rock in its original form. At best you can say that you want to hear music of a certain type, most likely because that is what you heard in your formative years, and that is what you consider to be "rock".

What you call experimentation is actually evolution. The music you consider to be vintage or authentic rock would most likely have been considered an abomination or an aberration by a person 20 years older than you.

Ultimately, rock is an attitude not a sub-genre. It is counter-culture, it is anti-pop. It is mostly dark and brooding and it is most definitely not a song from the movie, Rock On. We can talk about rock being an ugly step-child of blues and having a certain tempo and played with certain instruments, but but these are just aspects of what rock *currently* is. It is not the core of rock.

For example, consider the song Wake Up by Rage Against The Machine which is more rock than rap.
Wake up - Rage Against The Machine - YouTube

Now consider the song Free Satpal Ram by Asian Dub Foundation that is arguably more rap than rock.
Asian Dub Foundation - Free Satpal Ram - YouTube

Both are somewhat similar songs played by activist bands and have a strong message. Both are "rap" songs too in the sense that the lyrics are not based on a melody, they are just recited. Yet, by conventional definition, the first one is rock and the second is rap. I argue that both are rock songs because of their attitude.

Or even this song for that matter. No rhythm guitar, no melody. Would you still call this rock?
Live - White Discussion - Throwing Copper - YouTube

Trivia question: You hear the riff of Wake Up in the end of a very popular movie. Which one?

The only problem with your argument is that there is no clear definition of "rock". So, there is nothing called rock in its original form. At best you can say that you want to hear music of a certain type, most likely because that is what you heard in your formative years, and that is what you consider to be "rock".

Sorry for deviating off the topic of the thread.

The internet is full of definition of 'Rock' as a music. And also how it evolved (so called evolution:rolleyes:) over a period of time. Do we start a discussion (not argument) from defining the basics (in this case Rock) in a public forum or presume people commenting on a topic hold a minimal level of understanding of the subject? I assumed FMs are aware of the definition of Rock, from the era/place it originated.

I prefer to have strong fundamentals for everything and not dilute and call it evolution etc. I would prefer to hear Lobo with his lovely country hits, rather than Steve Holy holding a acoustic guitar in hand, playing rock chord progressions, backed by progressive tuning of drums and calling it 'Modern Country'.

In a way I agree to your views as well. Its just, different people different perspective.

Last edited:
i love the song, "Door na ja" from Jannat. I believe its based on "The blowers daughter" by Damien rice. I guess u can call DNJ a rock number.

i also like, "Tere Bin" by Bandish.

Sorry for deviating off the topic of the thread.

The internet is full of definition of 'Rock' as a music. And also how it evolved (so called evolution:rolleyes:) over a period of time. Do we start a discussion (not argument) from defining the basics (in this case Rock) in a public forum or presume people commenting on a topic hold a minimal level of understanding of the subject? I assumed FMs are aware of the definition of Rock, from the era/place it originated.

I prefer to have strong fundamentals for everything and not dilute and call it evolution etc. I would prefer to hear Lobo with his lovely country hits, rather than Steve Holy holding a acoustic guitar in hand, playing rock chord progressions, backed by progressive tuning of drums and calling it 'Modern Country'.

In a way I agree to your views as well. Its just, different people different perspective.

Hmmm I don't pretend to be an authority on this subject, but where we get challenged is when we are presented by a genuinely good artist or band that pushes the boundary. Otherwise, things are usually hunky dory in rock land.

Radiohead is another such example. A genuinely talented band that started out with angst filled songs like Creep that then decides to verve off the beaten path and immerse itself into electronica. What do you say about such a band? Are they still rock? Are they now suddenly a pop/electronica band because their creative inclinations changed to a different genre for better or for verse? I'm not so sure.

I agree with you on the fundamentals bit. Yes, there IS a difference between say Radiohead doing electronica (aka techno) and a remix artist or a trance band doing electronica. Come to think of it, it is a very important distinction that perhaps I too make, unconsciously.

My interpretation of this definition (perhaps wrong) is the approach the artist takes towards making music rather than the technical aspects of what they end up making.

Here's a final example: Welcome, Ghosts by Explosions In The Sky, a so-called "post-rock" band. Would you call this rock?
Welcome Ghosts By: Explosions in the Sky - YouTube

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back