Good Quality DVD Players

ChetanSouthMumbai

Hi I was looking for DVD players and only found the really cheap ones Rs. 3000-4000 in places like Vijay sales and Sony World, or else they are 60,000 and 1 lac ones.

Whats a sensible price point for buying a DVD player with HDMI interface for plugging into a 60 inch DLP (rear projection TV)?

Any suggestions / ideas?

Regards
Chetan

The Philips DVP5965K (at around 5.5-6k rs) and the Samsung HD860 (around 7-8k rs) are worth checking out. Both have HDMI connectivity.

I read in a recent AV Max or What's HiFi issue (not sure) that the Toshiba SD-360E (around 6k rs) is great value for money...offers HDMI and relatively good upscaling capability.

Check these models out.

Do consider Cambridge Audio DVD89, Onkyo DV SP502, NAD and Marantz players. The first two ones will cost around 18k not sure about others

Oppo DVD Players are among the best for upconverting regular DVDs to High Definition TV. I am using Oppo OPDV971H with Sony Grand Wega 50" 3LCD RPTV
and Onkyo TX-SR504 AV Receiver and the performance is fantastic.

Visit oppodigital.com and decide.

Oppo DVD Players are among the best for upconverting regular DVDs to High Definition TV. I am using Oppo OPDV971H with Sony Grand Wega 50" 3LCD RPTV
and Onkyo TX-SR504 AV Receiver and the performance is fantastic.

Visit oppodigital.com and decide.

Hi, thanks, I think the Oppo is good enough, but the USA website you referred to does not mention any Indian dealer / 220 V etc. Where did you get it from ?

Hi, thanks, I think the Oppo is good enough, but the USA website you referred to does not mention any Indian dealer / 220 V etc. Where did you get it from ?

There are no Indian Dealers as far as I know. I asked a friend of mine coming
from the U.S. to bring it and he brought it with him. Nowadays there are no customs problems and he didn't even have to pay any duty which I think is currently 35%.

It is a multivoltage (110-240V) multistandard (PAL & NTSC DVDs can be played on Any TV) Region Free (Plays DVDs from any Region), upconverting (converts regular DVD signal to HDTV 720p/1080i) player. It is best for LCDs, LCD RPTVs.
For Plasma Displays their 981 is more suitable. And all their models offer firmware upgradability through CDs.

Send them an Email. I am sure they will ship you a piece, if You can't have someone bring it with them.

There are no Indian Dealers as far as I know. I asked a friend of mine coming
from the U.S. to bring it and he brought it with him. Nowadays there are no customs problems and he didn't even have to pay any duty which I think is currently 35%.

It is a multivoltage (110-240V) multistandard (PAL & NTSC DVDs can be played on Any TV) Region Free (Plays DVDs from any Region), upconverting (converts regular DVD signal to HDTV 720p/1080i) player. It is best for LCDs, LCD RPTVs.
For Plasma Displays their 981 is more suitable. And all their models offer firmware upgradability through CDs.

Send them an Email. I am sure they will ship you a piece, if You can't have someone bring it with them.

Thanks again, now how do I get it hacked and made region free, anyone you know in Mumbai?

1. Switch on Power with no disk inside the player.
2. Press "Setup" in Remote
3. press 9210. This will bring up a secret menu for Region setting.
4. Press "0" for Region Free.
5. Press "Setup" once again

It's that easy, this is one great DVD player!

Hi Giddavr,
how is your experience with the oppo 971 so far?
-does it have svideo, composite video output?
-how much did it cost?
-are there repair facilities in India should the need arise?
-can it handle the standard formats/media in audio/video/
-does it play audio well?( impt for me since I will not be budgeting for a stand alone CD player).
-What are the differences bet 971 & 981 models of Oppo?
Will be grateful for an early respone.

I have been using the OPPO 971 for a few weeks in Mumbai, and its too early to have a final review, but I can make the following points:

1. It has Composite video and HDMI outputs
2. It costs $160 in the USA, not available in India
3. There are no repair facilities.
4. look up its capabilities in oppodigital.com
5. It does play Audio well - but mine has not fully burnt in, let me come back on this in a few weeks. I think this is good enough for mid-fi systems like yours, it has very clean sound. Try putting a heavy book on it while playing to damp vibrations and then hear the difference.

Thanks,Chetan.
Do post your audio experience with the Oppo after the "burn in".
Are you using the interconnects that came with the player/have you got better ones'?If yes, which make&model?

I too have been following the Oppo from quite sometime now but sadly they are not yet available in India.

Quick info about the newer models:

Oppo DV-981HD - HDMI 1.1 which features video processing with "DCDi by Faroudja" technology and video chipset by Genesis/Faroudja ( which by the way is used in Denon DVD players also) for video upscaling.
Downside - does not have component video out. AVguide.com review here.

OPPO DV-980H - HDMI 1.2a for DSD audio output. It has component video out , HD-JPEG playback and a USB 2.0 interface for thumb drives and such. Retails at USD149.
Downside - Uses a different MPEG2 chip instead of Faroudja for upscaling and video processing , so video may have artifacts when viewed on huge ( > 45 inch) displays.

Comparison chart

Re Oppo not being available in India, Oppo sells direct to some countries listed in the website. Perhaps, if an interested bunch from India email them about shipping to India, they might be interested!? (I would like one too!!)
Heard that Oppo is a keen customer support type org...

Also have a look a the DV970HD on their site...

Re: Good Quality DVD Players with USB Connection for HDD

Hi Guys...

I am looking a decent DVD player under 10K for my amp.. for movies and music..

I would prefer if that Player can allow me to connect my USD HDD or Drive.. is there any DVD available in the market which has such connection or features... available.

Do let me know pls...

I am based out of mumbai but frequently travel to Singapore also.. so i can check there as well..

thans in advance of anyone can help me with that..

Re: Good Quality DVD Players with USB Connection for HDD

Hi Guys...

I am looking a decent DVD player under 10K for my amp.. for movies and music..

I would prefer if that Player can allow me to connect my USD HDD or Drive.. is there any DVD available in the market which has such connection or features... available.

Do let me know pls...

I am based out of mumbai but frequently travel to Singapore also.. so i can check there as well..

thans in advance of anyone can help me with that..

If you are visiting Singapore check out the following models from Philips with USB!

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...?proxybuster=YV4AJQH2KAYIZJ0RMRCSHP3HKFSESI5P

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...?proxybuster=YV4AJQH2KAYIZJ0RMRCSHP3HKFSESI5P

Thank u sir..

Any idea how much it will cost me..
and any known problem or known issue

and hope i will get service in india

Best Regards

Thanks,Chetan.
Do post your audio experience with the Oppo after the "burn in".
Are you using the interconnects that came with the player/have you got better ones'?If yes, which make&model?

I think the Oppo is above average, quite good with movie DVDs both picture and sound. Sounds mediocre and unmusical with CDs only, but maybe OK for a non-hifi setup.

Would recommend it unless you have a high end music system, in which case you need a dedicated CD player. The Oppo's DSD capability for SACD will require a new generation Reciever/ Preamp to decode.

Using midpriced Kimber PBJ for digital coaxial out, and and the original HDMI.

Build an HTPC with an ATI HD3650 videocard and any soundcard with spdif pass thru. This will kill any DVD player under 3000$ very very easily in image quality. Most midrange DVD players score 75-80 in HQV benches whereas the said videocard scores an almost perfect 105. Low end players like the oppo struggle to get a 50'ish score.

Build an HTPC with an ATI HD3650 videocard and any soundcard with spdif pass thru. This will kill any DVD player under 3000$ very very easily in image quality. Most midrange DVD players score 75-80 in HQV benches whereas the said videocard scores an almost perfect 105. Low end players like the oppo struggle to get a 50'ish score.

:cool: :D :p

I WANT ! I WANT ! Dont know how to build something like that, but I need two of them - will pay of course. Any tech. guys there willing to help ?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back