Good soldering iron !

Hakoo or weller are good stuff for 2-6k mark
For amatures soldron i recommend with aluminum tip [remove the stock tip buy AL-tip extra and fit some 50/- or so]

Kaushik,

Does this help in keeping the tip always wet with solder ? I have this problem with my soldron tip that becomes dark and I end up using a file to get the tip to shine and accept solder.
I think this is something to do with not having a temperature control.

Another issue I have with 25W soldron is, it is not hot enough to solder , say the clod terminal of a TRS connector or an RCA connector. If I keep the iron long enough to get the connector terminal heated up, the wire insulation starts melting.

What will be an upgrade to soldron ? 70W goot ?

If your soldering iron is not hot enough, then the problem is with low voltage. Connect the soldering iron to a stabilizer or ups output in battery mode and check whether it works.

If your soldering iron is not hot enough, then the problem is with low voltage. Connect the soldering iron to a stabilizer or ups output in battery mode and check whether it works.

That is not the issue.. Tip is becoming black because of overheating and lack of temperature control. I get about 230-240V in my area.

@ark this is one irritating thingy in bangalore , may be the weather or so i dont know . I was filing the tip like a monkey until i bought the aluminum tip .
this one works just ok but with many other practices ..read on .

1) The cheapo solders they sell here are very bad, if you can go to the indurial supplies section in sproad and get a better solder or get silver solder from farnell.
I use WBT silver solder with low melting point .

2)Even upgrading solder also does not fully change the scene , so i put the board in helping hand just melt the wire "on the spot" . By this i get better joints and less loss of solder as drops .

cleaning sponge [wet to clean sponge ] will help cleaning

I was very happy with 22Rs toni iron long back and with Sincon solder , heats fast and worked like charm but i dont get them here .

This wears out the Tip very fast due thermal shocks resulting fatigue/fracture in metal. Rather than use old dry cotton cloth to wipe hot iron tip.

@ark this is one irritating thingy in bangalore , may be the weather or so i dont know . I was filing the tip like a monkey until i bought the aluminum tip .
this one works just ok but with many other practices ..read on .

1) The cheapo solders they sell here are very bad, if you can go to the indurial supplies section in sproad and get a better solder or get silver solder from farnell.
I use WBT silver solder with low melting point .

2)Even upgrading solder also does not fully change the scene , so i put the board in helping hand just melt the wire "on the spot" . By this i get better joints and less loss of solder as drops .

I was very happy with 22Rs toni iron long back and with Sincon solder , heats fast and worked like charm but i dont get them here .

I have cheapo solder, the thin wire variety I got from Vishal electronics, and I am not happy with it at all. Any shop you can suggest that sells good solder. Sorry, I am not familiar with the Industrial section in SP road , and do they expect me to buy in Kgs ;-)

Also, which shop keeps the aluminum tip ?

I have cheapo solder, the thin wire variety I got from Vishal electronics, and I am not happy with it at all. Any shop you can suggest that sells good solder. Sorry, I am not familiar with the Industrial section in SP road , and do they expect me to buy in Kgs ;-)

Also, which shop keeps the aluminum tip ?

om electronics for aluminum tip,solder i guess is mahabir electronics , you need to go lil inside and take a leaft cut ..they have some rolls and 500gms roll too. I hope you get roll in 300Rs.

I buy from ebay.com some time get from delhi.

Update: I got the "Aluminum tip" suggested by Kaushik. It is a good upgrade, if you have a soldron. They call it long life bit. I dont think it is really made of aluminum because I felt it was heavier.

I also picked up a basic 40W Goot KS 40R and a cheap 125W HRC make one.

I tried the Goot and it is really good. It comes with a pointed tip . Fast heating and really powerful . So if someone is looking for a basic soldering Iron and an upgrade to soldron, I recommend it . This site sells it for Rs 430/-

Goot KX/KS - 40 Watts Basic Soldering Iron ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back