Good soldering iron !

square_wave

Hi all,

What is a good 25 to 30 watt soldering iron to pick up around 1000 bucks ?

Any suggestions are also welcome. I am looking for something for regular DIY.
I hear that you need a really good soldering station and expensive irons to work on delicate pcbs etc. Not looking for some thing like that.

Cheers,
Square

Goot from Japan. Has variable power setting. Don't know cost. But one of the best around. But I use a good old Soldron 25W.
Joshua

can they improve with a good power chord ?:eek:hyeah:

just kidding...i always thought that a soldering iron is just a soldering iron & did not know there were nuances there too.

just kidding...i always thought that a soldering iron is just a soldering iron & did not know there were nuances there too.

Yes, the soldered connection is more conductive when you plug in your iron to a power conditioned outlet:yahoo:

Yes, the nuances are there and not too subtle either. A rigid cord can have you in twists when trying to make a delicate solder. A lesser tip can fry a transistor, etc. And we haven't even begun on the solder material:)

Agree. Just looking for one which will last for sometime :)

Agree. Just looking for one which will last for sometime :)

If you are only DIY then buy Solderon 25W which comes with additional extra tip. If no free extra then buy one. These lasted me for 10 years. Then I purchased third one 3.5mm which is nickel plated. Additionally you can buy SMD soldering tip (1-2mm tip). Solderon 25W is safe with user and on many components - from IC's to resistors & caps. If required go for additional 100W local made rod for soldering around metal sheets and big pieces around chassis.

Only care you have to take- keep hot rod from its own mains wire.

I'd go for Soldron too. These have ceramic heaters unlike the local ones which have a heating element wrapped around a mica sheet. I have 10 year old Soldron and it's still as hot as when I bought it :)

Recently in emergency I bought Solderon. Their power cord is too short, and Three pin plug looked like three pins are holding the molded few grams of plastic together. :lol:
I hope there may be other good quality solderon models.

This is classic case of killing small scale Indian manufacturing industries by flooding the market with cheap products from neighboring countries. Sorry SW for being offtopic.
Regards

Last edited:
Just buy soldron and a stand to keep the hot iron. You are set for 10+ years. Mine is 15+ years and still going strong.

I also have my soldron in working condition since the last 13 years. However I rarely use it these days.

I also have my soldron in working condition since the last 13 years. However I rarely use it these days.

Alright, so who's got the oldest Soldron?
Mine is going strong after 26 years, though to be fair, I didn't use
it for a decade or so in between.
For that matter, I have a generic wooden handled soldering
iron, perhaps from the late 70s, which still works.

I have 3 rods, 2 X soldron 25W and 1 X local 100W. First Soldron is since Aug 1991, second bought in Jun 2005. Both are working with different bits. 100W used quite few times while soldering PCB grounds to iron chassis.

Got my first Soldron (25W) sometime during 1990 or was in 1989?. Purchased one more in 1994. I've used them even last month and both works as good as new though I've changed tips innumerable times.

I use my Weller soldering station (purchased in 1996) more often though. Have a portable (rechargeable) one too for automotive jobs.

Hakoo or weller are good stuff for 2-6k mark
For amatures soldron i recommend with aluminum tip [remove the stock tip buy AL-tip extra and fit some 50/- or so]

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back