Recommendations for 45/2A3 Tubes

kratu

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on good brands that produce 45 or 2A3 tubes. I hear that RCA globe version is well regarding in 45 tubes. Also, I hear that Sovtek 2A3 are good, if they are found in pristine condition.

Also, which are the reliable places to source these tubes?

Sovtek 2a3 I have experience with and have no problem recommending. They used to be quite cheap earlier but nowadays are 100 usd each on Tubedepot. Earlier they used to be 100 USD a pair. Also available from Singapore shops in and around Adelphi. 45 has to be NOS but I have no experience.

Tube 45, National or RCA black
Plates. Globe are best but are expensive.

arcturus tube 45 globe blue glass are considered the “Holy Grail”.

2A3, again similar selection as above. RCA, Sylvania, National. Sovtek are nice too.

However if your tube amp supports Tube 46, then you would forget both above tubes.

Someone suggested that I should consider the newly produced tubes. The older ones like the RCA globes have weak internal supports and are fragile. Anyone has an experience with AVVT 2A3?

Someone suggested that I should consider the newly produced tubes. The older ones like the RCA globes have weak internal supports and are fragile. Anyone has an experience with AVVT 2A3?
Its only the globe tubes that are considered fragile, the vintage shoulder Type (ST) shaped 2a3 are just as reliable as new production tubes if not more.
The globe 45s are anyways too rare to find in NOS condition and have never been available locally and importing them would be too risky IMO.
The RCA black plate 2a3 are very well regarded and were locally available few years back. Not sure what the current situation is but its something worth looking for.

Regarding 45 : http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/09/tube-of-month-45.html

My very recent experience with the Sovtek 2a3 tubes were very nice. It sounded quite balanced, musical and dynamic.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back