Got SCHIIT Mani Phono

Hi every one, Need advise from you..

I received DAC ARA040 2RCA to 2RCA Interconnect Cable and compared it to my DIY 12" stereo RCA connector using CAt 5 cable, played few of my fev songs 2-3 times and here confusion starts :p -

With flat tone settings-

DIY cable sounding sharp like i have increased High & mid gain to +4, Low to 0.
and dac cable in sounding as i have done some changes in tone setting - High & mid gain to -2, Low to 0, but smooth in all manner.

Is my DIY cable is sounding more transparent to DAC cable or it doing something wrong with sound or DAC people saved their best output for their other high end cables?

Please suggest as i am really confused in this matter :sad:.

As far as i know, Mani is the only phono pre Schiit produces with their best. I purchased it by reading many online reviews and rated best against all it's competitors. You should contact someone in your city who already using it for audition.

For any further query you can contact me any time.
Hello
My name is thomas and I would like to know your exact opinion regarding mani phonostage after using it for some time now. Based on your review I wish to take a decision. Currently I am using Yaqin ms 12b, a tube phono which is okay and I if it can better this will be a blind shot since you may not know. I have previously used Cambridge audio 551p which was below average.
Please let me know at the earliest.
Thanks and best regards.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Sorry for delay responce as just noticed your post.

Till now i m happy with mani as it improved a lot after 2 months of burnin period. Few days back i just bypassed Mani and connected my TT direct to amp's Phono and then i noticed what was missing w/o it. Mani gives more open and detailed sound then inbuilt phono of my amp. You please take your decision after comparing other available PhonoPre as my purchase was totally based on online reviews and comparison.

Sorry for delay responce as just noticed your post.

Till now i m happy with mani as it improved a lot after 2 months of burnin period. Few days back i just bypassed Mani and connected my TT direct to amp's Phono and then i noticed what was missing w/o it. Mani gives more open and detailed sound then inbuilt phono of my amp. You please take your decision after comparing other available PhonoPre as my purchase was totally based on online reviews and comparison.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

DIY cable sounding sharp like i have increased High & mid gain to +4, Low to 0.
and dac cable in sounding as i have done some changes in tone setting - High & mid gain to -2, Low to 0, but smooth in all manner.

Is my DIY cable is sounding more transparent to DAC cable or it doing something wrong with sound or DAC people saved their best output for their other high end cables?

As you already know, the one area that is most problematic in the interface between the Cartridge and the phono amp is the cable and circuit capacitance issues. If you have too much capacitance it will sound dull. Too little and it could sound thin and sharp but all cartridges do not behave exactly the same as there is an inductance too which complicates matters and varies between cartridges.

You need to know the total capacitance as seen at the amplifier end of the interconnect cable. Usually this is not always available. Many modern cartridges need a total of 200pF or less capacitance to give optimum results. The big problem is that input impedance also contributes to the response. So the 47K ohm standard figure might not be optimum for your system.....

As an example. Say I use a new AT cartridge that specifies 200 pF capacitance. My Technics TT with factory hard wired RCA cable is 120 pF at the RCA plug end ( it's over 200pF on another Technics !) . I have only 80 pF left permissible on the amp AND tone arm cable capacitance. Some preamps are rated 100pF and many are much more. So you are already on the wrong side . You can only improve the situation by possibly ( 1) checking if there is a capacitance soldered at the phono input , remove it and add a lower value ( if required!) (2) Use a very short interconnect cable with very low capacitance. Maybe place the preamp right behind the turntable and use a 6 inch cable.

The difference could be tremendous. It can also take quite some time getting things right ! Remember that you need to "erase" ( if that's possible ) the memory of the previous sound you were used to. A drooping HF will make it sound dull and bass heavy ( that's how your ear perceives the change ) and lifted HF will make it sound sharp and light in the bass. You need to listen for several days to be able to decide what's best for you if you don't have any test equipment ! Best technical solution may not be the ideal solution either.....it doesn't matter ! Your ear should feel comfortable with it !:)
Maybe compare with the sound of the same album off a good digital disc playback system. While they will not be identical ( at least different mastering !) you will have some idea of what could be wrong and if you need to make any changes. remember that increased treble with lower capacitance will sound 'bright' if you have been used to a rolled off signal earlier. You need to listen for a while to determine if that's actually correct or not !

Proper phono playback setup is actually quite time consuming. There are so many parameters that you need to set up to get it perfect. But a plug and play system would still play back with possibly acceptable sound. For good sound and convenience , nothing like a digital playback system ! Also you don't need to replace a $100 stylus every 500 or so hours. Rated often at 1000 hours of usable life but it's starts showing wear much earlier than that usually ! But I guess it's fun !:D

Note Cat5e has about 50 pF capacitance per meter. Typical coaxial cable is over 100pF per meter and more. Some are less. So pick after checking this. If your system has too much capacitance then it will sound dull and CAT 5e will certainly sound better. Even if you think it sounds brighter give it a few days till you ear gets used to the 'changed sound' to determine if it does actually sound better !You get them shielded also ! Or maybe make a shield around it ?.....

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back