Got the Wharfies!

drivers of speakers have moving parts - almost all motors perform better after some degree of break in.

regards

Hello Gobble & All

What is the logic behind the speakers sounding better after a few hours of playback? I'm not much of a audiophile so would like to know how a speaker sounds better with time?Pls share.

Congratulations Srikarkav! Do I understand correctly that you have positioned the speakers on your overhead loft?

If so, then it is no wonder that there is booming! Please place the speakers on speaker stands or notwithstanding which you can use even stools for placement. Also dont forget to have at least 1.5 to 2.0 feet of gap on all sides of the speakers (with respect to walls).

This should help get an open and clear sound without any undue boom.

Many moons back, a forum member commented that the 9.2s are very sensitive to positioning - move them an inch and the SQ changes. I found the same to be true.

So take care - keep a ladder handy for a few weeks in your living room so you can fiddle with the angle and placement :)

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I am overwhelmed by all the wishes and helpful suggestions from all of you. Sorry i sounded a little grouchy in one of my posts.:eek:

Guys i got the Marantz repaired and got it home. First thing we did was to get the wharfs from the loft and place it on chairs. Then the speakers were connected to the amp and we played some music from the ipod touch. We felt that this source is better than the Philips DVDP.
The first song played was 'what goes around comes around' by Justin Timber Lake. There was absolutely no booming.:clapping: The bass was tight and my son sheepishly agreed the music thro marantz is very refined:D:yahoo: I am delighted i have made him a marantz convert atlast.

Then we played a soft song 'Maid on the Shore' by Anita Best & Pamella Morgan.I just closed my eyes and went with the song.I felt that i was, for the first time ,hearing quality stereo sound in my life.It was great.

Then we connected the DVDP with the amp and heard Ricky Martin's Livin La Vida Loca' which was booming like hell from the Onkyo. Again the bass was so right thro the Marantz.

'Nenjukkul peidhidum' by Harris was played and i was taken aback by the clarity of the opening guitar sound from the song. The drum sound from a song of the same film was also so right and tight. The vocals from all the songs mentioned was all very clear.

Guys i feel a burden has been take off from my chest. I am sure i have made a correct choice of speakers. Any one want to make a beginning in stereo i reccomend this combo of Wharedale and Marantz. Those who does not or could not want an amp can go with the 9.2s. You will never miss a sub.:)

For those who are wondering about the Marantz, the model is, PM 44 Special Edition. I am pretty sure most of you guys would never have heard about this model, cause it must be as ancient as the Himalayas.:D (actually a 1995 release). Below is the link for the basic specs.

Marantz PM-44SE

Guys i again thank u all for the helpful tips. A special thanks to SAMUEL for wishing my son.
@moser: There is absolutely no need to apologise mate, i thank u too.

Hope my experience with the wharfs helped some of u take some decisions. As the hours go by i am sure the wharfs will give us more pleasure.

Cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Hai Srikarkav,

I suggest you can also provide a rigid stand for the WH 9.2 with suitable height at which the tweeters are at your ear level in seated position. Use good Interconnects( eg BANDRIDGE AL 421 ( Rs.250/-) or Monster from MX Electronics( Rs.600/-) ) and some good OFC 14 AWG Speaker cables to get good soundstage and depth.

Pl take time to read about a beard arrangement for the speakers elsewhere in the forum.

Just my 2 cents.

N Murali

Congrats once again! Enjoy your system!
The Marantz looks cool.:cool:

So any conclusion about the sounds from AVR? Was it so bad or you were being very critical?

Thanks murali. I will try to get the Bandridge interconnect. I think Decibel may have it. I have already upgraded my cables to DAC 14AWG:)

Thanks reju. Yeah i think the Onkyo and Wharfs are not made for each other at least for stereo sound.

cheers,
sri

Hai Srikarkav,

I got the Bandridge IC from Mohan Music, Ritchie street, Contact Mr.Sasikumar, he has stock of them. I got it from him. BTW what is your source CDP?

N Murali

Yeah i think the Onkyo and Wharfs are not made for each other at least for stereo sound.

This is very interesting, because another user had recently bought the same speakers for Onkyo 5105, and he is simply thrilled with the sound & match.

There are another 2-3 members looking forward to very similar upgrades!!

Thanks murali. I will try to get the Bandridge interconnect. I think Decibel may have it. I have already upgraded my cables to DAC 14AWG:)

Thanks reju. Yeah i think the Onkyo and Wharfs are not made for each other at least for stereo sound.

cheers,
sri

Congrats on your purchase Sri. If you are going to keep the speaker fixed in one place then i don't recommend interconnects. Bare wire is best.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Well reju for 5.1 sound there is no issue with the Onkyo. As fronts the wharfs have improved the sound stage. But if u try to hear stereo sound thro the AVR it sucks big time.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
sri,glad ur finally at peace with the way they sound!!!they will only get better!!!now u know why people say try to keep the movie/stereo setup separate :lol:.enjoy.cheers

Thanks rallynut. I will keep them separate for sure;).

BTW are u using the CA DV99 as CDP and if so whats ur take on stereo sound from it?

cheers,
sri

Thanks anm!

The sound from the DVDP is also fine thro the Marantz. But a dedicated CDP will do wonders with the Marantz and 9.2s i am sure. Which may make me to look for one in the near future. Sigh... this is what the forum does to you. At this rate my wife may well file a divorce intent soon i think:argue:

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Thanks rallynut. I will keep them separate for sure;).

BTW are u using the CA DV99 as CDP and if so whats ur take on stereo sound from it?

cheers,
sri

sri,the dvdp was intended initially as an all in one solution till i got the ca 640c.surprisingly,i found that the playback quality was far better than i thought.read up on the ca dv99 review posted by sushanthace,has my take on it as well.there was a proposed shootout between a couple of budget cdps and the dv99,but dont think that happened.it is a great cdp IMO.cheers

Hai Srikarkav,

Having a dedicated CDP for audio is always better. I had earlier used Pio 686A for audio applications , but the whole world opened when I changed to Marantz CDP, it gives a very balanced and sweet sound when playing audio CD. The complete recording will sound as the Sound Engineer Intended. Also with your Marantz Amp I think a Marantz CDP should be a marriage made in heaven.

N.Murali.

Last edited:
I too would prefer you go for a Marantz CDP as that would match better with the Marantz amp. The CA DV99 I'm sure will perform well, but it will never give the detail and soundstage of a dedicated CDP and especially for stereo music it's always a better option. What you can do is keep the music and movies units separate. Put the speakers of the Onkyo HTIB back where they started and keep the Wharfedales, and the Marantz components separate. This will deliver SQ way beyond your expectations I'm sure. All you will need is the additional investment of a CDP (provided the wife agrees).

Hai Srikarkav,

Havind a dedicated CDP for audio is always better. I had earlier used Pio 686A for audio applications , but the whole world opened when I changed to Marantz CDP, it gives a very balanced and sweat sound when playing audio CD. The complete recording will sound as the Sound Engineer Intended. Also with your Marantz Amp I think a Marantz CDP should be a marriage made in heaven.

N.Murali.

hey rallynut, the shootout has failed to take-off since we don't have a place (and equipment) to do it. Once again let me holler out to all the people in Chennai. Anyone with a place to volunteer for it??

sri,the dvdp was intended initially as an all in one solution till i got the ca 640c.surprisingly,i found that the playback quality was far better than i thought.read up on the ca dv99 review posted by sushanthace,has my take on it as well.there was a proposed shootout between a couple of budget cdps and the dv99,but dont think that happened.it is a great cdp IMO.cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back