Got the Wharfies!

Hey sri,

interesting amp there, can you tell us how you got your hands on it?

Hi Guys,

For those who are wondering about the Marantz, the model is, PM 44 Special Edition. I am pretty sure most of you guys would never have heard about this model, cause it must be as ancient as the Himalayas.:D (actually a 1995 release). Below is the link for the basic specs.

Marantz PM-44SE

sri

Hi,

The amp was sourced as used from a dealer/shop called 'Guiness' in Ritchie street,Chennai, two years back. It went kaput sometime ago and i got it repaired from the same dealer after getting my Wharfs.

Cheers,
sri

hey rallynut, the shootout has failed to take-off since we don't have a place (and equipment) to do it. Once again let me holler out to all the people in Chennai. Anyone with a place to volunteer for it??

bro,would have loved to be able to help the situation and even said so earlier.me being in kerala doesnt help tho.hope it does happen some time ;).cheers

Hi Guys,

For those who are wondering about the Marantz, the model is, PM 44 Special Edition. I am pretty sure most of you guys would never have heard about this model, cause it must be as ancient as the Himalayas.:D (actually a 1995 release). Below is the link for the basic specs.

Marantz PM-44SE

sri

I am having a distant cousin of yours, PM 75, bought in 1990

Congratulations on your purchase.

Heres a speaker placement guide.
the Listening Room
Good stands are an absolute necessity for good sound. A high end AVR should sound decent with stereo music if your placement and stands are taken care of.
Avoid basic AVRs. If you really want a budget AVR which will do music, Look at Cambridge audio.

Hai Srikarkav,

I suggest you can go in for a used CDP of Marantz which will be less than Rs.5k.
Contact Mohan Music at Ritchie street he has some decent ones.

N Murali.

Hi murali,

Dont tempt me like this man! It will be some time before i bring another AV device into home lest my better half banish me totally from the household.:lol:

Last year i performed my daughter's marriage and she is in the family way.(Yeah coming Jan, will be a proud grandpa tho i have not even completed 50:)) My son has gone into his fourth year engineering and wants to take a shot at CAT exam. I need moolah for all this. Let me see how it goes.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

cheers,
sri

Hi murali,

Dont tempt me like this man! It will be some time before i bring another AV device into home lest my better half banish me totally from the household.:lol:

Last year i performed my daughter's marriage and she is in the family way.(Yeah coming Jan, will be a proud grandpa tho i have not even completed 50:)) My son has gone into his fourth year engineering and wants to take a shot at CAT exam. I need moolah for all this. Let me see how it goes.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

cheers,
sri

Hai Srikarkav,

Pl read this:
courage is not the absence of fear, courage is doing the right thing even in the presence of fear

N Murali.

Hi Srikar,

Many a congrats on the wharfies. They are real sweet sounding speakers and are exemplary in rendition of female vocals, strongly recommend that you try out Dido ( Sand in my shoes) and Norah Jones. If that is to your taste...

cheers,

Hi mnemonic,

Thanks a lot for your wishes. I will definitely try the albums on the wharfs.
cheers,
sri

Hi Guys,

My only gripe after upgrading my Onkyo 3100 fronts to wharfedale 9.2 was that the Tatasky sound thro Neo Cinema 6 option has lost its punch. Actually there was little or no sound thro the 9.2s. Now(may be after a little burn in?)
the sound stage from the DTH is large and clear via NEO6 and PL II. Particularly the movies from Starmovies and Zee Studio sound really great.:)

So i would give a big thumbs up to any one wanting go for the 9.2s.:thumbsup:

cheers,
sri

Hi Guys,

My only gripe after upgrading my Onkyo 3100 fronts to wharfedale 9.2 was that the Tatasky sound thro Neo Cinema 6 option has lost its punch. Actually there was little or no sound thro the 9.2s. Now(may be after a little burn in?)
the sound stage from the DTH is large and clear via NEO6 and PL II. Particularly the movies from Starmovies and Zee Studio sound really great.:)

So i would give a big thumbs up to any one wanting go for the 9.2s.:thumbsup:

cheers,
sri

Good that you are enjoying your set-up. Thanks for the feedback.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back