GPU

For direct play from HTPC 4k with madvr, any i3 with discrete GPU like 1050ti is sufficient. But for streaming i7 is required. For higher settings in madvr you need high end GPU.
Intel cpu suits best IMHO as I have tried with Ryzen 5 2nd and 3rd gen with discrete GPU. There is some stutter in playback when it is resumed. You have to close the player and again you have to open. This happens in win7 and also in win10.
One of my friend is having JVC N5 and it is definitely value for money. He streams to projector from HTPC.

I doubt you would feel a quality difference if you get a very high end card. But if you feel to get new card and you don’t do gaMing, you can also look for Quadro cards rather than GeForce, these are professionally used for designing and rendering. Pls also note that only rtx 3xxx cards and Quadro cards support 10 bit per channel color output ( if the display panel is 10 bit). 10 bit will really make a difference if display supports it

Though not related to GPU but wanted to share that I recently had very positive experience changing my hdmi cable to fiber optic based hdmi cable from Amazonbasics. Interestingly it improved audio quality too.
@sidvee I second this suggestion ; before upgrading anything for Video Quality side do consider this relatively cheap upgrade from Regular Hdmi cable to Fiber Optical HDMI cable. It improves the audio quality, especially in the subwoofer frequencies.

@sidvee I second this suggestion ; before upgrading anything for Video Quality side do consider this relatively cheap upgrade from Regular Hdmi cable to Fiber Optical HDMI cable. It improves the audio quality, especially in the subwoofer frequencies.
Thanks drkrack, at this point I am solely concentrating on improving the PQ at the source, I am quite satisfied with the SQ for now, but will check it out later once I have the source nailed.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back