GR Reasearch - X-LS Encore Floor stander

exljp

I completed the build couple of weeks ago, only now I could find time to post the details.

First and foremost, my sincere thanks to Captain making this possible for many of us. For all his efforts right from informing us about this deal till the kit reached our home safely.

I opted to make the Floor stander with the same X-LS Encore bookshelf kit. I could find a link where Danny provided the diagram for the floor stander and I just followed that.

The entire pictures are available in google+ album at following url

https://plus.google.com/photos/107361765185238952016/albums/5790502229074411569?authkey=CI2uoL_qr7_reg

Build in Progress

Original Kit and the X-over replaced with Sonicap

IMG_20121006_101857.jpg

IMG_20121007_112314.jpg

Used MDF 17mm boards as that was available. The next available was 25mm and that was too expensive for me. So decided to go with 17mm board

For me the search for a carpenter did not succeed. Asked few guys, but none of them were willing to take up the work when I told them it is a speaker cabinet. So the first thing I did is procuring few wood working tools like chisels, drill bits etc.
Found one workshop doing CNC cutting and got the MDF cut into sizes. Altogether 28 pieces for the 2 boxes including braces. Cost of MDF around Rs 3000+ and cutting cost around Rs 2500.

Box making. The boards were joined using screws and Fevicol SH.

fswip02.jpg

fswip04.jpg

IMG_20120923_123724.jpg

fswip01.jpg

Making the box part took couple of weeks as I could work only on weekends.

Once I started to paste the No-Rez, realised that I dont have sufficient quantity. I could source the Tar sheet instead from a local hardware shop and pasted those in the remaining areas.

IMG_20121002_110808.jpg

IMG_20121006_091937.jpg

Rounding off the woofer hole at 45 degree was another challenge. The chisel I bought from the hardware shop was not that good. But with lot of effort, I could manage it.

Then the next hurdle was sourcing veneer sheets to paste on the box. Search for 1 or 2mm veneer did not succeed. Searching for veneer delayed the project by almost 2 months. Finally decided to go with the 3mm veneer which was available in every plywood shops.

Pasting veneer on MDF, Veneers pasted only on the 2 sides, top and bottom.

IMG_20121104_172439.jpg

For finishing the veneer, used clear polish added with some coloring agent and then couple of TouchWood coating over it. The front and back panels were painted black.

The bottom cell was filled with dry sand. The speakers became quite heavy due to this.

Total project costed me around Rs 23000+

Kit + customs around 16k
MDF around 3k
CNC cutting around 2.5k
Other miscellaneous items such as Tar sheet, paint, screws, Veneer sheets, Recron etc around 2k

Final outcome

DSCN2689.JPG

DSCN2690.JPG

DSCN2686.JPG

DSCN2687.JPG

DSCN2688.JPG

I find the performance much better than my old vintage polk audio monitor 5 series. The speakers are connected to Marantz PM-75 amp and source is Denon and Marantz CD players.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Anyone knows why pictures are not loading for the above post? If I right click (in Chrome) on image link and say open in a new window, it shows the image

First of all, nice build and huge efforts seems to be gone into this.
Congrats!

Hi Guys, Anyone knows why pictures are not loading for the above post? If I right click (in Chrome) on image link and say open in a new window, it shows the image

You open the album and right click on image and choose "Copy Image Location". Then you will get something like this, starting with 'https' and ending with '.jpg' -
Code:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vlz4kwx40qs/UFv_GiYEZ8I/AAAAAAAAAHw/_t5kKWT94d4/s727/fswip01.jpg
Select image button from above button, below undo icon and put this value into dialog box and close - okay.
Sample -
fswip01.jpg

Last edited:
Hai, Thank you for sharing , you done a good job, Really nice !, me too interested to built like the same with three way , can you advice me for 3 way crossover ?.

Great effort Exljp and pretty decent finish. Wish I was as bold as you in jumping headlong.

BTW, I had seen others using double baffle even for the bookshelfs. Probably the same was required here too.

Edit: Another thing; I've read that the bottom most space needs to be mass loaded by filling up with sand. Hope you have done it / would be doing it.

Last edited:
Great effort Exljp and pretty decent finish. Wish I was as bold as you in jumping headlong.

BTW, I had seen others using double baffle even for the bookshelfs. Probably the same was required here too.

Edit: Another thing; I've read that the bottom most space needs to be mass loaded by filling up with sand. Hope you have done it / would be doing it.

In fact grateful to you for making this project possible.

Instead of double baffle, I thought of 25mm MDF, but costing quite a bit, so decided to settle with 17mm.

Sand was filled in the bottom cell.

And how about you starting to build your set??? :D

My house is so loaded with my AV stuff that my wifey is waiting for an opportunity to throw me out along with all that stuff. One more thing in and I'm sure to be thrown out. Point of no return you see. :D

My house is so loaded with my AV stuff that my wifey is waiting for an opportunity to throw me out along with all that stuff. One more thing in and I'm sure to be thrown out. Point of no return you see. :D

Start 'offloading' the gears you hold no further interest in & get the GR Kit off the starting blocks ;)

:lol: easier said than done, right??? :p

Start 'offloading' the gears you hold no further interest in & get the GR Kit off the starting blocks ;)

:lol: easier said than done, right??? :p

You bet.:eek:hyeah:

After she sustained nicks from the pointed ends of ESL panels a couple of times while passing by, she has become particularly allergic to those speakers.:sad:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back