Grado Prestige Series SR325i Headphones

ajitelsy

Hi Gentlemen,
Your thoughts on the Grado Prestige Series SR325i Headphones I am interested in get it from the States and need to know some feedback from guys who are using the.Thanks

what source and head amp you plan to use ?

am not sure if there are many Grado users on this forum.

I do use a SR80i but thats for listening of a portable sansa flac player.

I love the Grado SR80i.

If you plan a similar usage like mine then SR60i or SR80i would be good enough.

Ofcourse if you plan on a good head amp.. then moving up the range makes sense.

mpw

mpw,

I am getting into headphone listening and was thinking of getting a SR80i.
Was going through some reviews and some people have found it to be bright, leaking sound and not comfortable after some time (around 45 min) listening.

Would appreciate if you share your experience with these.

regards,

Hi,Thanks for the input I will be using them with the Audioengine Dac D1 it is a nice dac and I listen with a Soundmagic E10 Buds sounds good my music collection is in Flac 16/44 but I just bought some 24/96 music from HDtracks and also bought some DSD from Bluecoast records this is all played via Jriver Media 19 from my sony laptop.the DSD get down sampled but still sounds great,i wanted a pair of open back headphones and so narrowed it down to the Grado.Will have to wait till Jan next year to get a complete system so till then plan on headphone listening,use the Bose Quitecomfort 15 at home but don't like it all that much.

there is a thread on the SR80i on this forum but that may not be too relevant to you as you are looking for the SR325.

mpw

Ex 325i owner here. They're great sounding HP for rock/metal/vocals or anything mid-centric. Awesome mids, slightly shrill treble but awfully uncomfortable. And they're bright, aggressive & forward so even if you get away with the comfort issues, tinnitus awaits. ;) Bass & soundstage is average. I replaced the stock pads with the yellow Sennheiser HD 414 pads. Comfort was fine after that. I'll recommend you to try out the SR60i/80i first since the difference isn't day & night. They're not audiophile cans & unforgiving on poor recordings. I think bassntreble from Delhi have stocked these at reasonable prices so consider importing something better or cheaper at that price range.

Can't help you with SR325i, but reading a lot about the similarity of Grado sound throughout their line, my experience below with SR80i might help.

I have been using SR80i for about 3 months now and I simply love them. I don't think SR80i are bright or aggressive or shrill (maybe SR325i are - can't comment on that). I play mostly FLAC 16/44, 24/96 and use them with Audiolab Q-DAC, however, even when I use them directly off an iphone or a laptop, shrillness or aggressiveness is not how I would define the sound. Indeed, vocal, jazz, rock, classical, ambient electronic (genres i primarily listen to) sound amazing - the best I have heard compared to similarly priced closed headphones. Grado's have a very tight and lean bass (which I think is closer to reality). The lack of boomy unnatural bass may give a perception of forwardness to some. If you want bass in spades - these are not for you.

SR80i's ear cushions are not uncomfortable and i can easily keep them on for a couple of hours. Although the comfort factor is not their strength. SR325i have a different design so can't say if this holds for them.

I am a firm believer of using high quality (irrespective of price) electronics for headphone use also and despite popular belief, I think Grado's, although efficient, sound better through the DAC/HPA than direct. If that is true for SR80i, it would be certainly true for SR325i.

I have Ultrasone PRO 900 loving it. if u listen to rock, metal, pop then consider this one. the bass on this was deep and clear highs ;)

I use Grado SR325 at work for listening to music (more than 2 years). Mostly Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam songs. I use Arcam rPac (DAC + Headphone amp) along with this headphone. Really nice sound (at lower / higher volumes), comfortable for longer use.

Gentlemen,well I have already purchased the Grado 325is on Amazon and will get it this week someone will carry it from the States to my workplace.Can't wait,will have to burn them for min 100 hrs or more will let you"ll know my take on them.Thanks

mpw,
Thanks that is the Audioengine D1 its really great VFM will not part with it been using it for over a year now.

Hope you liked the sound. If you did then that's a long time keeper. D1 is a great match for your Grados. It will tame the 350i's harshness hence will be good for longer listening periods. Have fun with your new cans bro :cheers:

Vulcan,
Thanks,Yeas i like the sound it great with rock music which i enjoy Crosby Stills Nash,Joe Satriani,Aerosmith,etc.Better than the Bose Quite Comfort 15,and with the Audioengine D1 Dac makes it stand out.Do wish HDtracks would come down on their prices for Hi Res music.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back